The first sample meistros...

Simply talk about anything.

Moderator: Aciphecs

The first sample meistros...

Postby hseiken on Mon May 10, 2010 6:13 pm

I watched a documentary called the audio alchemists i think it was called and was about the BBC Radiophonic Workshop...these guys invented and used sampling before it had a name and used tape loopers, scissors and scotch tape to make some of the most original music of their time, some of it still sounding fresh today...on member in particular is Delia Derbyshire who had a group called White Noise which I strongly suggest you check out if you like anything on Warp records...even thougb the album i listened to was from 1969, it seriously could have been released yesterday, its very inspiring stuff, especially knowing the primary method it was put together was tape, scissors and a couple of decks...

Google and be amazed at the technology you behold, even in your outdated electribe samplers...you wont look at sampling and sequencing the same way again.
GEAR: ESX, Micron, KP3, Kaossilator, ER-1mk2, Xenyx 801, VS880, US-122
hseiken

Re: The first sample meistros...

Postby TrondC on Mon May 10, 2010 10:14 pm

Apparently, the odd time signature "cash-loop" on Pink Floyds "Money" from Dark Side of The Moon was made from that same method, physically cutting up tapes and stitching them together again.. :)
Techno/Dub/Ambient
-Monomachine/Machinedrum UW/Acidlab Bassline/KP3
-Korg Zero 4 mixer - Recordings in Reaper

http://siestasubmarina.bandcamp.com/
http://soundcloud.com/siesta-submarina
TrondC
EF Special Task Force

Re: The first sample meistros...

Postby adamitron on Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:51 pm

i watched that movie the other day, DOOOPPEE! it made me want a time machine.
adamitron
Knob Fiddler

Return to General Off-Topic