Has Dubstep jumped the shark?

Simply talk about anything.

Moderator: Aciphecs

Has Dubstep jumped the shark?

Postby hseiken on Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:07 am

I mean..skrillex + korn...

Hmmm...

If nothing else, I think dubstep shouldn't be called dubstep anymore. The real roots dubstep movement is more true to it's original intent than the perversion of skrillex and like-minded individuals.

Am I way off base here?
GEAR: ESX, Micron, KP3, Kaossilator, ER-1mk2, Xenyx 801, VS880, US-122
hseiken

Re: Has Dubstep jumped the shark?

Postby branded on Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:13 am

You mean... are you way off bass here? :lol:

I was introduced to dubstep from flying lotus, from brainfeeder was exposed to gaslamp killer and eskmo, and then started in with the low end theory podcasts. Now I move around the internets looking for like-minded music (can you ever call these guys "dubstep"?) (Albert, Young Montana? and Kelpe are three dudes I found that are great [or at least made a great mix]).

It took me months to even come across bassnectar, and I've never listened to this skrillex character. This just seems to be the way things go... for every Paul Oakenfold there will be a Darude... For every Daft Punk, there will be a Daft Punk three years later. :brush:

Just gotta keep yourself in charge of the music. Am I a dubstep fan? Yes, you know like flying lotus and gaslamp killer... ever heard of them? My musical taste roots are in instrumental hip-hop, big beat (chemical brothers, and fatboy slim), psy trance, tribal and deep house, and IDM (whatever that is... from kid606 to aphex to squarepusher and amon tobin), so I don't really pay any mind to subsets of shallow versions of this music; and with my rambling egotistical rant what i really mean is... there's a lot of crap out there, everywhere... it doesn't discredit you if you claim "i'm a dubstep fan" or "i'm a dubstep musician" just be clear you don't listen to or play crap. :thumbs:

And who cares about genres anyway? :)
branded
Electribe Newbie

Postby hseiken on Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:52 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcTtwTccW-Y <-- this is what i speak of.
hseiken

Postby Aciphecs on Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:22 am

I've heard it and have no problem with crossovers like this. It's like when Run DMC and Aerosmith came out with Walk This Way...was it rock, hip hop? This is just the beginning of a new sub genre of rock and dubstep, no biggie, just progress. If all artists conformed to what a genre is supposed to sound like, according to whomever come up with genre definitions (wiki??) music would be stagnant and boring. Growth and experimentation is what I love about music and I appreciate artists who promote this.
Aciphecs
EF Special Task Force

Postby Unfolding Machines on Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:33 am

Damn Aciphecs, you just spoke a bunch of sense when I was about to flame on Korn! Hahaha!

HS- the crossover between metal & dubstep's been about for ages (this is probably the highest profile example from a small pool). Distance has been totally honest with being into nu-metal before electronica (& by extesnsion dubstep, grime, 2-step, jungle etc)- he even did a brain melting DJ mix with Vex'd for Mary-Anne Hobbs of dubstep with metal back in about 2007. Read this. Nobody can argue that Distance & Vex'd are dubstep bandwagon jumpers.

Of course pretty much nobody outside the UK heard it at the time, so the context of it is lost somewhat in hindsight. Its a surprisingly forward thinking mix- each of those metal bands are waaay beyond Korn.

If the shark was jumped, that was done a long time before this. Maybe when Tempa decided to repeat getting Youngsta & Hatcha to mix Dubstep Allstars volume 4? Maybe when Caspa & Rusko decided to dumb down wobbling with Spongebob? Take your pick. All genres of music require sifting through shyte to find gold.

But then again, seeing that dubstep as a movement was named back in 2002 by XLR8R & arguably dates back to 1999, its done quite well so far. Even though the 1999 stuff sounds NOTHING like what dubstep is today.

It also comes down to the audience & who picks up on what sounds are presented. Putting Techno Animal after Sunn0))) isn't going to get you much reaction if your target audience aren't geeks (geeks like me- my eyes blurred reading that setlist).

@Branded- dude, some of the stuff you name's not dubstep. Yeah, its informed of dubstep but its closer to beat-scene hip hop & bass music than dubstep itself. Flying Lotus ran a parallel course to it for a while but has well & truly transcended it with Cosmogramma. Have you heard Gaslamp's productions for Gonjasufi? None of that goes anywhere near bass wobbles & half-time rhythms. Young Montana's own music is totally different too- you'd be closer calling his recent stuff chillwave than dubstep. I wasn't familiar with the others until now so I won't comment on them.

That said, I see where you're coming from. What you great music that seems to have come out of leftfield & doesn't always conform to the usual cliches of dance music.
Unfolding Machines
Knob Fiddler

Postby p-e on Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:07 pm

OK, so people have been making a new track that mixes wobbly synth lines, half step rythm, big angry guitars and lyrics about being lonely and sad.

Before that, other people have been mixing hip-hop and guitars, people have done metal with MPCs, used guitars and acoustic drum kits to make psytrance, etc...
Haters will argue that it's not the pure genre, hipsters will say that they heard similar stuff 10 years ago on limited edition mixtape, and Wikipedia will call it guitarstep (or whatever).

That's one thing I love about music: it constantly evolves.
p-e
Electribe Newbie

Postby thehighesttree on Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:38 am

I always thought dubstep kinda sucked.
GEAR: TR-76(16Mb EXB-SMPL) /ESX-1 /KP3 /EMX-SD /R3 /uglyass Poly800 MkII /monotron
thehighesttree
Knob Abuser

Postby bresk on Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:05 am

ahahahh they raped the shyte out of dubtep ...I mean it's the most commercially exploited genre ever ! :lol:
ESX - EA1.mk2 - M1r - KP2 - KP3
bresk
Knob Fiddler

Postby hseiken on Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:01 am

bresk wrote:ahahahh they raped the shyte out of dubtep ...I mean it's the most commercially exploited genre ever ! :lol:

That was kinda my point. The last times I recall, mainstream/pop destroyed any shred of 'coolness' of a genre, effectively killing it for a lot of people which I guess kinda made a more tightly-knit underground audience, but ultimately didn't really have any good initial effects on the music. Case in point?

2Unlimited. At the time that "Get Ready For This", arguably one of the most annoying songs made, it was based on the UK breakbeat 'hardcore' sound. It was happy, but 2Unlimited just destroyed the feel of the genre with their release. Misfortunately, it got lots of airplay and subsequently made way for acts like AB Logic to come in and make equally shitty offshoots of the same sound. They had some sort of ties to uk hardcore of the time with the stabs and breaks, but ended there with no real feeling of the underground tracks that inspired them. THIS in turn split the underground community in half...underground tracks started getting darker to distance themselves from the pop tunes and another small offshoot started getting more extreme with the happiness. What ultimately happened was 2 new 'genres' were created: Jungle/DnB for the darker stuff and 'Happy Hardcore' for the nearly cartoony sounding piano/stab affairs. Was this move inevitable? Was DnB bound to happen anyway? Maybe...maybe not...but it certainly didn't happen naturally. Shitty cash-in artists forced this to take place...

One thing I've noticed is that dubstep has been more 'widely accepted' in terms of dance/club music and more quickly I might add, but I think it's about to start subdividing very quickly now that Skrillex can be heard on the radio. I also would like to point out that Skrillex is a one trick pony as is Korn, so it's a perfect match.
hseiken

Postby bresk on Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:40 am

2unlimited breaka breaka.... ahhaha damn I still have nightmares of the songtitles written on the back of the head of the guy....
ahhahaha-....well said hseiken!

ESX - EA1.mk2 - M1r - KP2 - KP3
bresk
Knob Fiddler

Next

Return to General Off-Topic