Has Dubstep jumped the shark?

Simply talk about anything.

Moderator: Aciphecs

Re: Has Dubstep jumped the shark?

Postby Klenderfender on Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:38 pm

Yeah, dubstep has gone way of the doodoo bird like jungle did. Joker and Zomby signed to 4AD; the last Skream LP and Magnetic Man just feel empty. I still have a softspot for Benga, Horsepower, and RSD though. Peaked in 2006, I'm afraid and just went downhill from there.

2 Unlimited! Smart E's! LA Style! (I dance to them all but that was back in the early 90s when DJs spun this stuff alongside the good stuff).

All genres are not safe from being aped to death. But people will always cry "___ ____ is not dead!"

Instead of crying about it, I just make your own music (and still have a softspot for cheese). :D
Klenderfender
Knob Abuser

Postby bresk on Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:14 am

hey man hip hop is not dead ! ! !! ! ! ahahha ah ah ah :gunz: :D) :lol: :thumbs:
ESX - EA1.mk2 - M1r - KP2 - KP3
bresk
Knob Fiddler

Postby sauce on Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:20 am

Soooooo.. What I have noticed, while perusing the ever-popular cloud of new sounds, is that.. UK 'Ardcore is making a comeback. Anyone else notice this?
http://SnowMetal.org for music, tutorials, news, sample-packs and tutorials.
sauce
Knob Fiddler

Postby bresk on Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:05 am

90's jungletekno ? or Hellfish & Dj Producer style ?
ESX - EA1.mk2 - M1r - KP2 - KP3
bresk
Knob Fiddler

Postby Unfolding Machines on Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:08 am

sauce wrote:Soooooo.. What I have noticed, while perusing the ever-popular cloud of new sounds, is that.. UK 'Ardcore is making a comeback. Anyone else notice this?

Funny you mentioned this, I've been noticing that too. Maybe Klender should check the new Zomby EP (yeah its on 4AD, what's wrong with that? They've had some great non-electronic bands), its got a bunch of tracks with weird spacey jungle moments. Don't forget his first album was called 'Where Were You In '92?'...
Unfolding Machines
Knob Fiddler

Postby hseiken on Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:46 pm

Back to dubstep jumping the shark...McDonald's has a tv ad with a dubstep version of their 'i'm lovin' it' theme.

Point made, I just won right there.
GEAR: ESX, Micron, KP3, Kaossilator, ER-1mk2, Xenyx 801, VS880, US-122
hseiken

Postby sauce on Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:25 pm

hseiken wrote:Back to dubstep jumping the shark...McDonald's has a tv ad with a dubstep version of their 'i'm lovin' it' theme.

I see what you mean, but.. I haven't owned a TV in almost 14 years. I have nevere seen this McDonald's commercial, or any commercials for a very long time. What's more, I can't remember the last time I was even in the same room or car with the radio playing. I have *permanently* removed myself from the opportunity to ruin the music I enjoy with popular bombardment. God bless the interwebs!
http://SnowMetal.org for music, tutorials, news, sample-packs and tutorials.
sauce
Knob Fiddler

Postby Unfolding Machines on Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:40 am

hseiken wrote:Back to dubstep jumping the shark...McDonald's has a tv ad with a dubstep version of their 'i'm lovin' it' theme.

HAHAHAHA!!!

Ok, yeah its done (thankfully Maccas haven't shown that add in Australia). I can't defend it any further. Especially after seeing this:
Unfolding Machines
Knob Fiddler

Postby Klenderfender on Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:35 pm

Unfolding Machines wrote:
sauce wrote: Maybe Klender should check the new Zomby EP (yeah its on 4AD, what's wrong with that? They've had some great non-electronic bands), its got a bunch of tracks with weird spacey jungle moments. Don't forget his first album was called 'Where Were You In '92?'...

I like my dubstep with Dub bass in it (hence Horsepower, RSD being high on my list). Just my preference. I have "Where Were You 92" (actually I was raving) and the EPs on Hyperdub and played his 12s in sets. The album after that just felt empty (the grave one). This is from a guy that flew from Detroit to Toronto just to see Skream and Benga play. Speaking of Jungle, A Guy Called Gerald just released demos of Black Secret Technology and you can stream it. Good stuff.
Klenderfender
Knob Abuser

Postby Stardrifter on Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:34 pm

It's the internet's fault I think, where a popular trend suddenly becomes the next big thing, then becomes :roll: . In all, it could be a good thing for true dubstep fans as the heart of the genre stays underground. But it's a shame to see "dubstep" printed on a mix that clearly is (by the wikipedia definition) "brostep".

Or better yet, a "dubstep jingle" :?

It's an interesting topic to bring up, however. I mean, it's a evolving genre. I'd like to see where it ends up in the future...
Besides, we don't fit into genres, genres fit onto us rockin
We are not average people. We are professional knob-twisters.
http://soundcloud.com/ascensiondoctrine/sound-of-my-dreams-stardrifter
Stardrifter
Electribe Newbie

PreviousNext

Return to General Off-Topic