EMX and ESX?! Should we all have both......

Simply talk about anything.

Moderator: Aciphecs

EMX and ESX?! Should we all have both......

Postby chrisaxeman on Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:53 pm

Hello Electribe fans!

I am a proud owner of an EMX-SD, But i can't help thinking i would also like a ESX! It's like i'm going out with a hot Girl and fancy her sister!!!

I really like the ability to trigger sound files into compositions and think the two would be great bed fellows!... can any ESX owners tell me can " ALL " it's parts be samples of varying length or are the drum parts drum parts only!

Can any EMX owners point me in the direction of information about the Synth settings needed to produce the preset sounds ie if i start with a saw synth what settings do i use to create say a piano sound or a rich bass tone..... i do like just twisting pots but this can throw me off, is there a programing book?

I guess i feel guilty that i have an awesome piece of kit and without mastering it wish to buy another!, can you help me justify the two...... why did korg not add say at least ONE sample slot on the EMX i want to add vocals and sound bites to my tracks and really love the way the Electribes flow!!!
Last edited by chrisaxeman on Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
chrisaxeman
Electribe Newbie

Re: EMX and ESX?! Should we all have both......

Postby p-e on Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:16 pm

Korg wants you to buy both!

There are some books and guides on synthesis and synthesizers theory, but they will be oriented toward synthesizers with full control over all the oscillators parameters, full ADSR and VCF envelope that you don't have on the Electribes, so I am not sure if they will be very helpful in the end... or even more frustrating :D
You can get great sounds from the EMX, but it will take long time of practice and twisting the knobs to explore the whole sonic spectrum of the machine and recognize good spots. Hell, I'm still discovering new interesting sounds after two years on it!
p-e
Electribe Newbie

Postby chrisaxeman on Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:55 am

" Korg wants you to buy both! "

Lol! Hell yeah they do....

.... I will be keeping one eye on EBay For a cheap SX or a KP3 in the meantime , although the sampling ability of the Kp3 is not quite what I'm looking for.

The Roland mc-09 has sampling and a 303 emulation patch! Could add some old school spice to a few compositions.
chrisaxeman
Electribe Newbie

Postby bresk on Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:25 am

YOU WANT TO HAVE BOTH !!! ehhehe :thumbs:
it's a killer combo and having the same interface on both the machine is really like tweaking just one big machine, or you can djing like with 2 decks

I like the sound the mc-09 is not bad on the synth side.... but the sampling side of it sucks hard, loading samples takes ages,
and 90% of the time they clicks at the loop point, especially if you don't play these at original speed.

ahh... and the cryptic japan layout... gotta love it :rofl: :thumbs:
ESX - EA1.mk2 - M1r - KP2 - KP3
bresk
Knob Fiddler

Postby adamitron on Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:03 am

the few chances i've had to use both machines (thank you guitar schmenter) i felt like a god of all things electronic. several times since then i have almost broken down and used my rent money to pick up an emx.
adamitron
Knob Fiddler

Postby chrisaxeman on Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:25 am

..... Update!

Just pickup a Es mk2 Electribe ( can't afford a ESx just now ) from EBay £120... It uses the " older " Smartmedia but was supplied with a card and a usb card reader, boxed, with instructions.

@ adamitron Buy it!
chrisaxeman
Electribe Newbie

Postby bresk on Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:13 am

that's the problem with the etribes.....
must collect them all :DD
ESX - EA1.mk2 - M1r - KP2 - KP3
bresk
Knob Fiddler

Return to General Off-Topic