Plastikman
Loco Dice
Ricardo Villalobos
and so much more :roll:
SkinnyWhiteBoy
Knob Fiddler

Re: What do you listen to

Postby Yatmandu on Sat May 30, 2009 2:59 pm

In minimal I like Audion, Wollion, Pig&Dan, Gummihz, Adam Beyer, Adultnapper, Ambivalent, ELlen Alien, Andrea Doria, andreas heiszenberger, Karotte's Kitchen, Gaiser, Thereom, Deepchord, and tons more...I just basically looked at my 5* rated songs and pulled the names. Minimal is about as faceless as it gets: the songs do the talking. Of course I like some Plastikman too, but there's a lot to wade through before you get a nice track.

I'm starting to listen to more Dubstep again. I've gone through just about every electronic music genre since 1990, and I've settled on minimal and dubstep for now. I almost can't listen to stuff I thought was awesome back in the day. I put on an old Freaky Chakra CD from the 90's and it was practically unlistenable :lol: - times and tastes change. I still play the odd Orb song (what got me started with techno way back in 90).

Of course, I like non-techno too, especially old ska and punk (Clash, the Specials etc).
Yatmandu
Knob Fiddler

Postby TrondC on Sat May 30, 2009 10:38 pm

how didin't we start this topic before? :D

Currently:
-Røyksopp & Amish82 , check out the latter, I'm joining them on stage for two festivals (500+ audiences) this summer, they are good friends of mine and just made a SMASHING House album without me even knowing ;) (available for FREE at http://www.sutemos.net )

-Plastikman & Hawtin (Consumed is so blilliant, and the first two tracks on both Musik and Artikafts are mindblowing, still today, and his DE:9 - Transitions album is beyond awesome)

-Gravious (the best alternative dubstep ever imo, go on his myspace, Blogs, download his Mixtape 1& 2 (no 3 isn't that good)

-Wesen (minimal techno, makes the best livesets I've ever seen on Youtube, check out his 4 x 10-min segments)

-Various Dubstep, Ambient Techno, Dub-Techno, basically any introverted version of the techno-genere out there ;)

-And, don't shoot me, my own tracks. mainly because I want to make the planned summer-recordings as good as possible, but to some degree, because I do like my own music, after all, I make what I'd want to hear :p I tested Squidstep on my stereo last night, and dang, I must say that was pumping.. :) definately a track I want to record "professionally"

All Time favs:

-British 90's scene (Leftfield, Fatboy Slim, Prodigy, Photek, Chemical Brothers etc)
-I had a NIN/Joy Division/New Order/Depeche Mode/Cure-period years back.. very good music, but thank god I'm not in that state of mind any more :D
-The Holy Trinity of Rock: Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin & Black Sabbath (first 6 albums only mind you)

And just for the fun of it, I've been having a few laughs with Ayreon - Into The Electric Castle. It is labeled a "space opera", and is quite so.. epic fantasy-metal, ultra cheezy riffs and lyrics (not to mention the plot..) but so insanely well produced, and with tons of great synth-work :)
Techno/Dub/Ambient
-Monomachine/Machinedrum UW/Acidlab Bassline/KP3
-Korg Zero 4 mixer - Recordings in Reaper

http://siestasubmarina.bandcamp.com/
http://soundcloud.com/siesta-submarina
TrondC
EF Special Task Force

Postby Yatmandu on Sun May 31, 2009 5:56 am

Looks like we were listening to much of the same music. Yeah, 90's were practically ruled by the British techno invasion, starting with Orb, Orbital (lol, there was also William Orbit), Chemical Brothers, Photek and all the Metalhedz artists as well as LTJ Bukem, F.S.O.L., Autechre, FatboySLim, and of course the beginnings of minimal from Hawtin/Plastikman - I really do like his earlier stuff: SheetOne, CLoser, Consumed, up to DE:9. But more recently I find his stuff too minimal and boring except for the odd masterpiece, if you know what I mean.

I saw a lot of those acts back in the day (Orb, Orbital, ChemBros, Autechre, LTJ Bukem and many more). I remember one Mouse-on-Mars live show, where they basically had a huge table of at least 30 pieces of gear (no laptops!) and they created the coolest sounds ever. Back then I didn't know a synth from a sampler from a sequencer from an effects box, so it was all just a bunch of boxes and wires to me. I think that show was the best live techno I ever saw. I also went to countless raves back then, but that's kind of a big blur right now :joker:
Yatmandu
Knob Fiddler

Postby Dj Pound on Sun May 31, 2009 10:31 am

Right now i have a thing for 80's music. Specifically 80's music made with synclaviers and CMI fairlight machines....
I also recently had an oppurtunity to play around with a yamaha dx-7, that was a blast :)
Almost every patch i called up on it seemed recognizable in one way or another as the backbone for some 80's jam :lol:

But man Nick rhodes was quite the genius with these machines...Just picked up a few duran duran records along with some of the stuff he did for kajagoogoo, pure synth goodness!
Same goes for these british cats i seemed to have slept on named SCRITTI POLITTI.
From what ive read their first two records were entirely sequenced and made with a synclavier and a CMI fairlight 2.....I got their "cupid and pysche 85" record on heavy rotation right now.

Speaking of 80's brit new wave....ABC had some smokin synth production as well.
I have always loved their stuff, martin fry had quite the smooth soulful voice.
Korg ESX-1
Korg EMX-1
Korg ES-1
Microkorg
Akai MPC-2000XL
Boss BR-532

http://titusandtheraindrops.tumblr.com/

http://soundcloud.com/you/tracks
Dj Pound
Knob Fiddler

Postby Yatmandu on Sun May 31, 2009 12:01 pm

Even back in the 80's (ok, I'm dating myself now) I didn't particularly like all the hairspray new wave bands like ABC, PetShopBoys, DuraDuran etc..., opting for more punk/raw/and pre-industrial bands. I was really into Cabaret Voltaire, KillingJoke, the Cure, and stuff like that for quite a while.
Yatmandu
Knob Fiddler

Postby Dj Pound on Sun May 31, 2009 12:31 pm

Robert smith used to spook me out...!
He was "goth" way before the trench coat mafia LMAO.

For sure on the Cure, I love their 80's music.
Korg ESX-1
Korg EMX-1
Korg ES-1
Microkorg
Akai MPC-2000XL
Boss BR-532

http://titusandtheraindrops.tumblr.com/

http://soundcloud.com/you/tracks
Dj Pound
Knob Fiddler

Postby markm on Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:38 am

This isn't really beat based, but John Coltrane's A Love Supreme. I'm also listening to some Ambient music by artists like Robert Rich, Ian Boddy, and Steve Roach.
markm
Knob Abuser

Postby Yatmandu on Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:13 pm

I'm digging this dude's music: it's so bloody lush for minimal, great synth sounds.

http://www.myspace.com/borisbrejcha
Yatmandu
Knob Fiddler

Postby SkinnyWhiteBoy on Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:32 am

I'm also very much into Cocorosie, must say they totally blew me away when I heard them for the first time at Roskilde last year. What strange,weird,beautiful,interesting music these two sisters create, totally amazing....for those of you who don't know them, check them out :-D
Plaid is also very good, and very strange.......at least the one cd I've got with them called rest proof clockwork.
And then there's my darker side, I'm a sucker for all kinds of metal :evil:

And some more:
Ace Ventura
Extended spirit
Electrypnose
0x7f
Burn In Noise
Ekoplex
Fagget Fairys
Kamui
The Atari.s
Tsabeat