Reaper and loading VST's (help!)

Talk about computer and software related projects.

Moderator: Aciphecs

Reaper and loading VST's (help!)

Postby TrondC on Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:46 am

ok, sorry for ranting some more, but it seems every time I try to use my laptop for making music (and not just recording it), I end up frustrated beyond belief and not understanding anything.. And here I ama again, not having a clue what's wrong and I've tried everything (probably everything except the thing that is actually going to work, which is what I'm hoping someone here can help me with) and getting ...nowhere...

the stuff:

I've got Reaper, and I've recently got the software synth "Sylenth1", and I'd like to use Sylenth1 now.
I installed it, put it in the correct folder (according to http://www.cockos.com/wiki/index.php/Plugins) and guess what, I get "Error opening media" whenever In try to open Sylenth1. funny thing is, I had problems with a free sampler (Independence free) that I downloaded as a part of trying to get my Nano-controllers to work (now that's another issue I won't adress here. I've given up Vista and saving for XP, ready with the hammer on the creen if that doesn't do it), and I got that same message, which means that the problem is in reaper. I've spent an hour reading the manual again, moving the vst's to the Reaper/plugins folder, and the VST Plugins folder, then opening Reaper, going through the steps from the link above, and the same message every time. "Error opening media". can't find a word on the issue (nope, not in troubleshooting either) and once again, I'm cursing at the screen wanting my 79 Euros back and swearing I'll never use my computer for anything but recording ever again.

so (sorry for the long, detailed rant..), I assume that there must be someone here using Reaper, and who also is using VST's, so to anyone who has first hand experience with this: all I want to do it to use my newly bought synth, how do I do it? or perhaps, more appropriate: what am I doing wrong?

in case any of this matters, I'm running Vista Home Edition (+ SP1), which will soon be "degraded" to XP as soon as I have the money for it

help

p.s: I don't understand computers at all, so the simpler the better ;)
Techno/Dub/Ambient
-Monomachine/Machinedrum UW/Acidlab Bassline/KP3
-Korg Zero 4 mixer - Recordings in Reaper

http://siestasubmarina.bandcamp.com/
http://soundcloud.com/siesta-submarina
TrondC
EF Special Task Force

Re: Reaper and loading VST's (help!)

Postby Yatmandu on Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:13 am

I don't have Sylenth1, but every VST loads fine on my Reaper. They're all either free or demos. I can try the Sylenth1 demo if there is one, and let you know. So far, I've had absolutely zero problems with Reaper.

Edit: I'm on an XP laptop though, so not sure if this is a Vista problem.

Also you should try the Reaper forums. If this is indeed a Vista/Reaper issue, there should be some noise about it on the forums.
Yatmandu
Knob Fiddler

Postby StellarJay[aka Ruso] on Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:02 pm

Just to clarify something.... I run windows vista with absolutely no problems for music. In fact I prefer it to XP now... it's a bit sluggish trying to accomplish a thing or two (strange slow downs here and there) but nothing that would affect my work flow. If you got nice clean drivers and have tweaked some settings you'll have a wonderful music machine...

Also, see if you can hunt down a copy of ableton (if you don't already have it)... The reason I say this is because it is relatively easy to transition from the electribes into ableton because a lot of the controls especially in the synth operator and also everything else are similar to the electribes and are easy to grasp.

Another reason I recommend ableton is due to the fact that it comes with all the tools you need to make music and they are all completely integrated and are not vst's. Vst's sound great but a lot of times cause problems (especially free ones coded by random people who don't really know what they are doing).... After working on many live sets and having a set of catastrophic crashes during such, I decided to resample all the vst's and never use them again.

Get a hold of me on aim and I'll give you a crash course.
StellarJay[aka Ruso]
Site Admin

Postby TrondC on Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:20 am

thanx guys :) I'll stick to Reaper for now, as I'm dead broke (and will be for some time), but Live has always been the software I've been meaning to get :)

I'm busy theese days, so I won't get to try more for a few days, but I'll post an update, progress or not.

as for vista, you're the only person not telling me to "uninstall the f*cker, throw the CD in the river, install XP and go to town", but the thing is, I'm using my computer for very simple things (hotmail, forums and school), so there might be quite a few small tweaks I just didn't make because I never knew about them :p

...anyway, I'm hoping this will work, as I am preparing my first (lo-fi and gritty) EP release, containing sone of the tracks I've posted here, with some overdubs and transitions, and I was really hoping to use Sylenth as the poly synth for some errie chords and ambiences (the poly machine in the Monomachine is kinda thin sounding)...

yup
Techno/Dub/Ambient
-Monomachine/Machinedrum UW/Acidlab Bassline/KP3
-Korg Zero 4 mixer - Recordings in Reaper

http://siestasubmarina.bandcamp.com/
http://soundcloud.com/siesta-submarina
TrondC
EF Special Task Force

Return to Computer/Software