Which Software DAW Program For Electribes?

Talk about computer and software related projects.

Moderator: Aciphecs

Which Software DAW Program For Electribes?

Postby gotBASS on Sat May 02, 2009 2:00 pm

I'm an emx owner looking to buy a music program for my windows vista laptop PC.

I've read on these forums that ableton (which had been my first choice for a PC-based music application) has some trouble sending nrpns? This seems to make it less than ideal for use with my electribe. Then again, there seems to be a new release (ableton 8, I believe), so these issues may have been resolved. MIDI functionality and ability to interact successfully with my emx is key, as is it being a fully-functional, up-to-date music creation program (think cubase, ableton, etc).

So, I'm asking for suggestions, experiences with this or other programs, pros/cons of any you know. Which program can any of you recommend i buy/avoid?

Hopefully this forum can help me make the RIGHT choice, I kinda only have enough for one at the moment!! Don't wanna have to buy more than one of these babies!!

Thanks in advance, and thanks for a great forum Ruso and contributors.
Equipment List:
Laptop (Vista Home Premium) - Reaper DAW Program - Yamaha AW1600 Digital Multitrack Recorder - Alesis SR-16 Midi Drum Module - Yamaha DJX-IIb - Electribe EMX - Nintendo DS (with Homebrew Cartridge) - Warwick Corvette $$ 5-string - Laney RBW 200 Bass Amp - Various Guitar/Bass Pedals - M Audio Oxygen 8 v2 Midi Keyboard
gotBASS
Knob Abuser

Re: Which Software DAW Program For Electribes?

Postby Yatmandu on Sun May 03, 2009 11:41 am

I've been using Reaper and I'm very happy with it. Main reason for going with it: $50 instead of >$300 for the other DAWs. But it turns out that, in terms of audio quality, Reaper is up there or surpasses most of the expensive alternatives. However, IMO it's strictly a recording DAW, not a live performance DAW like Ableton Live. I think Ableton can't be beat in the Live aspect.
Yatmandu
Knob Fiddler

Postby StellarJay[aka Ruso] on Sun May 03, 2009 9:30 pm

Ableton all the way, it's simply the best live performance (and in my opinion studio software) in my opinion, it's well worth the price.
StellarJay[aka Ruso]
Site Admin

Postby gotBASS on Mon May 04, 2009 5:27 am

I had considered Reaper, but yeah the lack of live aspect turned me off it a bit. Just gotta finish failing my degree now, then I'll be buying and installing whichever I choose. That probably will be the latest ableton live it looks like (live 8 - sounds like some pop concert I'm really struggling to recall). I've read a little bit about it now and it looks pretty sick. Money's not really an issue tbh, I'm happy to get a relatively pricey one, if it'll do the business, provided it is just the one I have to get!!
Equipment List:
Laptop (Vista Home Premium) - Reaper DAW Program - Yamaha AW1600 Digital Multitrack Recorder - Alesis SR-16 Midi Drum Module - Yamaha DJX-IIb - Electribe EMX - Nintendo DS (with Homebrew Cartridge) - Warwick Corvette $$ 5-string - Laney RBW 200 Bass Amp - Various Guitar/Bass Pedals - M Audio Oxygen 8 v2 Midi Keyboard
gotBASS
Knob Abuser

Postby StellarJay[aka Ruso] on Mon May 04, 2009 7:42 am

Ableton live is gonna be off the hook. I know it's out right now but it needs an update because it is running with some pops and crackles in the audio even with higher asio buffers.

One thing that is amazing about it, is that it will have an API (set of functions that other programs can use to get it's internal info) so that you can use an environment called maxmsp to extend it and make new plugins for it (and I"m not saying like vst, you can make your own gui components, sequencers and others that are a part of ableton).

The point is, if you can't program, or don't want to learn there will be hundreds of components available for free...
StellarJay[aka Ruso]
Site Admin

Postby Attic on Wed May 20, 2009 11:09 pm

My two cents.

1 Ableton
2 Acid works well --- Ableton's better but acid is the one I use most ---
3 Reaper
4 Motu Express XT --- This isn't software but you can take it to shows for mindbogglingly results --- String five or so electribe's together and put it in Midi Machine mode ok now frantically push every button available on any all electribe's for spaz cascade fx -- lol --
Attic
Electribe Newbie

Postby sshyperion on Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:30 am

Yatmandu wrote:I've been using Reaper and I'm very happy with it. Main reason for going with it: $50 instead of >$300 for the other DAWs. But it turns out that, in terms of audio quality, Reaper is up there or surpasses most of the expensive alternatives. However, IMO it's strictly a recording DAW, not a live performance DAW like Ableton Live. I think Ableton can't be beat in the Live aspect.

What hardware equipment are you all using to connect your Electribe to your PC? I know you can go a PCI card route or USB route depending on the inputs involved. Right now I'd be hooking up an EMX1-SD and Kaossilator Pro with a basic keyboard down the road (any particulars suggested?).
If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome!
Equipment:
Kaossilator Pro
KORG DS-10 Plus (on Nintendo DSi)
Electribe MX1-SD
Audiophile 2496 audio card (PCI, PC)
sshyperion
Electribe Newbie

Postby StellarJay[aka Ruso] on Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:35 am

In general all you should need to make your computer have midi and good audio is to get a usb audio interface. Depending on what you are trying to do you are going to drop anywhere from dirt cheap if you go and buy something like a usb "HD" sound card for 30 bucks and then go get a 5 dollar usb to midi cable from china on ebay..... or if you're looking for something that you WILL use for your music career (if you are serious about it).... which will run you from 200-400 for a very decent interface. Once again all up to you. I think the most solid interface that keeps popping up is the old firepod.... the newer fire boxes are good but they have less i/o for the buck.

Bottom line is, to connect a single electribe you need a single midi input or output (depending on who is master) and a stereo pair of inputs. your kaoscillator can go into electribe's input...

Usually any midi controllers these days are just about always USB and come with a built in midi interface, that might be the route to go.

Honestly, these days any "HD" sound card combined with the ASIO4ALL audio driver... especially if it's a newer windows 7 lap top will more then likely be able to be run with as low latency as an expensive aftermarket dedicated interface and will be able to claim to have similar specs.... sound quality won't be as nice and you're gonna probably be stuck with too many headphone jack type connectors and couplers all over but I will vouch that even my older lap top has a fast enough audio interface to be able to use for audio.
StellarJay[aka Ruso]
Site Admin

Postby sshyperion on Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:51 am

Thank you for the response. I've been digging around and I think I found something affordable and workable for my horrible machinations of audio goodness.

M-Audio Audiophile 2496 Sound/midi card (PCI)

This should support a midi keyboard, Electribe and Kaossilator Pro without much hassle, hopefully.
If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome!
Equipment:
Kaossilator Pro
KORG DS-10 Plus (on Nintendo DSi)
Electribe MX1-SD
Audiophile 2496 audio card (PCI, PC)
sshyperion
Electribe Newbie

Postby StellarJay[aka Ruso] on Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:47 am

I will add that as a general rule of thumb M-Audio cards are considered... not the most stable things on the planet... but... my Fast Track Ultra has survived for a good chunk of time. I'll tell you it sometimes bugs out and is really frustrating.

I have no experience in that particular card though. I know afriend of mine uses it and he's been in the music for a long while now and I haven't heard a complaint from him about it.

His ozone controller on the other hand ;)
StellarJay[aka Ruso]
Site Admin

Next

Return to Computer/Software