Ableton

Talk about computer and software related projects.

Moderator: Aciphecs

Ableton

Postby SNFool on Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:54 am

So I'm thinking about running my setup through ableton but I'm having some... well I'm worried. I've always been a hardware type of guy and don't I'm worried my sound is going to veer from that raw sound the tribes seem to come with.

Ruso has said you can do wonders with compression and limiting on ableton and I am starting to think a laptop with ableton but be the solution to all my hardware problems.

#1 Long vocal samples impossible on ESX. I use CDJ which sounds shoddy
#2 Sound is all over the place. I use graphic EQ, compression, and mixer to do my sound... Too much gear, too difficult to dial in sometimes.

What else can ableton do to spiff up my set? I have friends that use it, but not in relation to the electribes. Any help would be great.
SNFool
Knob Abuser

Re: Ableton

Postby StellarJay[aka Ruso] on Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:48 am

Well for one you can download my killer fx rack. It works like a kaoss pad fx and is designed to be controlled by one... or a keyboard joystick controller... or even knobs (but that's not as cool)

Also, there is no way to answer that question... because in ableton.. you can do anything. Quite literally... especially with max4live coming :-D
StellarJay[aka Ruso]
Site Admin

Postby SNFool on Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:33 am

Sold... I just got a new job and I'm already thinkin about how I'm going to spend the money. Now... what to buy what to buy.
SNFool
Knob Abuser

Postby StellarJay[aka Ruso] on Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:49 am

If you get an extra 150 bucks laying around, get a used kaoss pad 2 on ebay. Or get something like an m-audio pad control or even the nano pad. It will do wonders controlling effects in ableton... of course the best controller for ableton is http://www.akaipro.com/apc40

:-D
StellarJay[aka Ruso]
Site Admin

Postby e5kimo on Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:23 am

ruso, you are the ableton wizzard.

i gots a question.

when i record midi in ableton on the session view window i can only see the notes in arrangement view.

how do i the recorded stuff to show up as a clip in session view so i can trigger it like it was a sample?

a little lost with this one.

really liking ableton and the possibilities it offers together with the emx. but this one bit i just dont get.
e5kimo
Electribe Newbie

Postby StellarJay[aka Ruso] on Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:10 am

very easy.... click the little circle io button under the scroll bar on the very right to pop up routing info. Select the midi channel you want to monitor on and the midi port. (I think you already did this)

Then launch your sequencers so they are playing in sync, arm the TRACK for recording (not global recording) and when you're ready hit the recording button in the clip slot you want to record to.... to stop recording of the clip click the record button in the newly appeared clip a little bit before you want to end the loop. It will immediately start looping.

Because there is audio lag in your setup, you're gonna have to go in, and shift all your notes to the left until they line up to the clip grid.

Also, be sure to go and play around with ableton's sampler and also play around with dropping samples into the drum rack and mangling them up.
StellarJay[aka Ruso]
Site Admin

Postby e5kimo on Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:15 am

thanks ruso. will test this when i get home today
e5kimo
Electribe Newbie

Return to Computer/Software