Too many boards?

Please give feedback about this website.

Moderator: Aciphecs

Too many boards?

Postby Unfolding Machines on Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:26 pm

Hey Ruso, I couldn't help but wonder why there are as many boards as there are in this forum. For instance-

- why are there different boards for users to post their music & their videos? As the videos are ultimately extensions of user's music wouldn't it make sense to lump them together?

- There's a lot of cross over between how to interpret what belongs in the General Discussion, Technical Talk & Articles and Tutorials. Would it make it easier to roll the General Discussion & Technical Talk into one?

Despite being there being good bunch of members here, I'm not sure if there's enough traffic to warrant different boards with similar purposes.

But then again, is it even possible to backdate & roll together different boards? If its too much hassle that's cool- having extra boards is a pretty easy thing to deal with. Thanks for keeping this forum going as well.

Cheers!
Unfolding Machines
Knob Fiddler

Re: Too many boards?

Postby StellarJay[aka Ruso] on Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:14 am

Hmm I'm open to that suggestion... I think it's possible to trim some of them together. I think you are right about merging music and video for sure.

About the Articles and Tutorials section.. I originally intended for it to be a moderated forum so I would filter the posts to strictly people who posted articles and techniques. Since so few people posted I missed topics which were posted so I opened it up but now it got way off course and really general :).

What do you guys think? Should we combine some forums?
StellarJay[aka Ruso]
Site Admin

Postby Aciphecs on Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:17 am

I guess you could combine a couple if you wanted, but I don't think it's necessary.
Aciphecs
EF Special Task Force

Postby gotBASS on Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:43 am

I don't actually agree that merging video and music boards is a good idea. I have found the video board of paritcular use simply to find vids of others using their electribe well. This helped me learn an awful lot about using my emx. The problem with merging this with the music board is that the relatively few video posts would be swamped by people's tracks, which are all too often examples of tracks made using an electribe as a supporting cast member, and which, without a video, often provide very little in the way of user education. Video board is very useful for those looking for good examples of how to use an electribe they are either looking to buy, or already have and want to become more familiar with. This is especially the case given how youtube has been increasingly becoming swamped with electribe videos, of varying degrees of quality or real interest. This is why it is useful to have a resource where, at least, those who have enough initiative to find and register on this forum are the only people able to provide links to videos!!!

Regarding the articles/tutorials & tech talk section. I see no particular issue with merging these, save for the same "few articles/totrials posts getting swamped by the tech talk posts" one. The thing is here: a lot of posts in the tech talk are questions, the answers to which frequently fulfil the same role as a tutorial anyway (i.e. telling you how to do something). I think that most people who check one probably check new posts in the other one too. Anyone who posts a tutorial is also more likely to answer a technical question, as they are obviously prepared to volunteer useful information to the community.

Just my, er about ah three fiddy?
Equipment List:
Laptop (Vista Home Premium) - Reaper DAW Program - Yamaha AW1600 Digital Multitrack Recorder - Alesis SR-16 Midi Drum Module - Yamaha DJX-IIb - Electribe EMX - Nintendo DS (with Homebrew Cartridge) - Warwick Corvette $$ 5-string - Laney RBW 200 Bass Amp - Various Guitar/Bass Pedals - M Audio Oxygen 8 v2 Midi Keyboard
gotBASS
Knob Abuser

Return to Feedback