Live setup ideas

Talk about Electribe as well as other aspects of performing live.

Moderator: Aciphecs

Live setup ideas

Postby neotechtonics on Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:21 am

I've been puzzling these last couple weeks on what the simplest setup will be for live play.

Gear utilized: EMX x2, kaoss pad 3, SP404

the direction I'm currently heading in in terms of MIDI connections is:
EMX(master PCEN = xxxo) -> EMX(slave PCEN = xxxx)
EMX(slave PCEN = xxxx) -MIDI thru -> SP404 (SP404 recieves MIDI note data from master EMX.. still have to decide what MIDI channel to use for the 404)
EMX(slave PCEN = xxxx) -MIDI out -> KP3 (all MIDI except clock disabled.. tho not necessary since EMX PCEN = xxxx)

as for the audio chain I'm thinking of getting a 4 channel mixer with channel selectable send-return so I can use the KP3 on whichever channel I want to. Not too keen on using KP3 at end of chain and effecting entire mix. EMX's and SP404 on separate channels on the mixer. Mixer out to Zoom R16 for compression and recording of mix (unfortunately will be recording on one channel depending on what my routing options are out of the mixer.

I would run both EMXs to separate channels on the R16 but I really want a crossfader and fingertip EQ controls (not menu diving!) for them. I can also run the SP404 to a separate channel on the R16 instead of into the mixer but would be nice to add additional effects via the KP3.

I've been looking at the Behringer NOX606 mixer as a potential replacement for my gemini PS 828-EFX and should give me alot more routing options.

Does any of this sound completely wrong? Any suggestions?
neotechtonics: the study of recent underground movements and measurement of their local effects in order to develop techniques for predicting earthquakes
http://soundcloud.com/neotechtonics

EMX guru in training
neotechtonics
EF Special Task Force

Re: Live setup ideas

Postby neotechtonics on Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:53 pm

thanks for all the feedback :lol:

anyways. I got the behringer mixer and my setup is finalised.. except for figuring out what to do about sequencing my SP404 without having to change the layout of my synth parts.
neotechtonics: the study of recent underground movements and measurement of their local effects in order to develop techniques for predicting earthquakes
http://soundcloud.com/neotechtonics

EMX guru in training
neotechtonics
EF Special Task Force

Re: Live setup ideas

Postby dubathonic on Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:56 am

That's a more complex live setup than I've ever used, but I think your idea of a mixer is a sound one.

Also using the KP3 on a send-return channel rather than for the whole mix. YMMV, but as much as I love my KP3 I only run full mixes through a select few of its effects, and those with very specific preprogrammed settings.
EMX, MachineDrum, Octatrack, KP3, Behringer FCB-1010, Taylor T5
http://dubathonic.bandcamp.com/
dubathonic
Knob Fiddler

Return to Live Performance