Our shared TIPS and TRICKs for live performance

Talk about Electribe as well as other aspects of performing live.

Moderator: Aciphecs

Our shared TIPS and TRICKs for live performance

Postby TrondC on Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:27 am

so, I'm possibly doing atleast one live show some time this spring. It will be my first show ever, and frankly, I'm too worried it won't go down well..

the tracks are rehearsed, and I don't have stage fear, but I'm very concerned with sound quality. obviously things will sound very different, but how much? I'm worried I will have too much low end or that certain sounds come out weird sounding (my tracks sound quite different when burned to a CD and played through my CD-player, and not in a good way).

also, I'm 100% sequencer-based, menaing I'll probably be boring people (should I get a keytar controller? :lol: ), so what are you guys doing to make a show out of it rather than just loud playback of your tracks?

lets' hear how you do your shows :)
Techno/Dub/Ambient
-Monomachine/Machinedrum UW/Acidlab Bassline/KP3
-Korg Zero 4 mixer - Recordings in Reaper

http://siestasubmarina.bandcamp.com/
http://soundcloud.com/siesta-submarina
TrondC
EF Special Task Force

Re: Our shared TIPS and TRICKs for live performance

Postby hseiken on Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:37 pm

I personally am trying to do as little with sequencing as possible when I play live. Also in my case, I have a keyboard that I play, so it kind of helps make it seem like I'm doing more than I am when watched.

All I can say is watch other people play their electribes live and take notes that way. I've seem some stuff that is bad and some stuff that is done so well that you'd swear the song was presequenced and the guy playing with the controls isn't even really doing anything to affect the song.

One thing I've been finding out is that one awesome thing you can do for a bassline is get the arpaggiator involved! Select the correct scale that goes with your tune and correct bass note and get good and playing it one handed...cause you can play with the cutoff/lfo/EG knobs with your other hand and get some nice groovy stuff going to break up a monotonous bassline...you don't even have to do it a whole lot...just throw in a measure of the bassline doing something different every 16 measures or so. And everytime you play the song, it'll probably be different too!
GEAR: ESX, Micron, KP3, Kaossilator, ER-1mk2, Xenyx 801, VS880, US-122
hseiken

Postby MICTRIP on Mon May 25, 2009 10:11 am

Thats some good advice! Remember this, the reason your performing live, is "to put on a show". Otherwise whats the point. So get some lights, flame throwers, girls with hola hoops, fire breathers, belly dancers, , props, a space helmet, flashing sunglasses, move around, make eye contact with your audiance, try and connect with them, take them on a journey, tell them a story, with your sound. Ok some of these are ridiculous, but I think you get the meaning. The music is important, but the show has to energize the audiance, take them out of there normal lives, other wise we could record everything on a CD, or "Ableton" run through a PA go sit at the bar or a near by coffee house and come back in an hour or 2 collect it, thank everyone for listening, and go home. :joker: :spin: :rolling: :rofl: :-D
MICTRIP
Electribe Newbie

Postby MegganKelley on Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:10 am

I've seem some stuff that is bad and some stuff that is done so well that you'd swear the song was presequenced and the guy playing with the controls isn't even really doing anything to affect the song.
Creating so touching plots and decent character developement, Mickey's Twice Upon A Christmas DVD will be the next huge thing on your TV with Rules of Engagement Seasons 1-4 DVD!
MegganKelley
Electribe Newbie

Postby p-e on Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:04 am

Well some people indeed pre-sequence everything :D
p-e
Electribe Newbie

Postby thelkgc on Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:00 pm

I was a bassist long before I began making electribe music. I used to be all about improv, but on the electribe I feel like its fine to have everything sequenced so I can focus on manipulating the music. There are a lot of great DJs etc. that do a lot of standing/dancing and still have great shows.

I partly agree with the showmanship idea, but not as much as playing good music. With a bass, I'd be able to confidently improvise for hours, but that's only going to sound good for a bit because you start repeating tricks, or you do the same things over at different shows.

I wouldn't worry about doing handstands on stage. Be free to enjoy the music you're sharing with people.
thelkgc
Electribe Newbie

Return to Live Performance