bpm: is consistent or varied best live?

Talk about Electribe as well as other aspects of performing live.

Moderator: Aciphecs

bpm: is consistent or varied best live?

Postby nermterg on Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:50 pm

I am developing live material with my ESX (and EMX if I can fix a problem), and I am wondering what audiences like. I'd have to drive a few hours to reach any kind of electronic music scene, so I don't have much experience to draw on. The question I have right now is, does the audience want a reliable bpm for dancing, or do they prefer some variety?
nermterg
Electribe Newbie

Re: bpm: is consistent or varied best live?

Postby Blue Monster 65 on Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:01 pm

I would think you'd want to vary it somewhat, so as not to become monotonous. That said, you'll have to work carefully so as to be too jarring when you change up the tempo. Once wouldn't be bad, provided you build up to it, but most of the time, I'd say speed it up or slow it down over a period of a few measures.

Here's one way to do it. She uses an EMX, too. It's a bit jarring at first, but then the tempo settles in and it makes perfect sense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNqeYqZp6cg (can't get the You Tube insert to work)
Blue Monster 65
EF Special Task Force

Re: bpm: is consistent or varied best live?

Postby nermterg on Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:14 pm

Thanks for the input. A gradual change is what I have been considering, although I have not tested it to see how stretched samples will react. Perhaps for the transitional patterns I will just use one shots and keyboard parts.
nermterg
Electribe Newbie

Return to Live Performance