using the 'COMPARE' mode

Talk about Electribe as well as other aspects of performing live.

Moderator: Aciphecs

using the 'COMPARE' mode

Postby novatron on Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:47 pm

i'd like to share how i use the 'COMPARE' feature as a live performance technique.

COMPARE, which you activate be hitting (SHIFT+[PATTERN]) is generally used to 'revert' the current pattern, back to it's last saved setting (this would include your mutes) as to compare to see if you really want to over- write on top of what ever work you've created on a pattern.

I have my electribes set up with all my patterns saved - with all parts muted. this is my default. doing this, will ovoid ever having any unexpected parts of, or even an entier pattern from blaring in unexpectedly. that always sucks and can be quite a shock to both you and your audience. doh!

COMPARE MODE TECHNIQUE EXPLAINED

once u get a pattern going, lets say just the basic parts, drums and bass, maybe one other synth line- *THIS IS IMPORTANT* with no knob tweaking- do a save or [WRITE].you're basically just writting in some
new default mutes.
the reason for no knob tweakings is to not lose your 'default' sound settings. of course there are exceptions to this rule, as you may want that change in sound for a particular pattern, in using this technique.

so the next step is to start adding more synths, tweaking the sounds, filters, modulations etc. most importantly, in using this technique, start improvising over the top of some of your lines (adding new notes), like your bass for instance, when you've got something going hit RECORD and capture the new variation.

then when you're ready - hit the COMPARE -- which is again SHIFT+[PATTERN]
you will then revert back to where you last saved, which in this example
is the basic default pattern.
you can start tweaking the sounds and adding and substracting mutes.
*note that any tweaks you do here will be 'lost' when you go back to normal mode, which is where you recorded the new variations.
to RETURN to NORMAL mode, just then HIT - COMPARE which is the [PATTERN] button (no need to hit shift here). [PATTERN] will be flashing, indicating you are in COMARE mode-

you can tweak and record more here. then when you go back into COMPARE mode again, you'll return to the basic default pattern, that you saved earlier - that is, minus any tweaking you may have made on the last pass.

it's a pretty fun technique. you can get some nice 'call and responce' going can really open a whole new way of playing.

THEN what i do after a set , go back through my patterns and re[WRITE] all of mutes to off, my preferred default setting, on any and all patterns that i changed mute settings on. and then i do it all over again. 8-)

novaTRON~
novatron
Electribe Newbie

Re: using the 'COMPARE' mode

Postby toxictobi on Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:17 am

Hey novatron, I was just writing down this trick in english, but than I saw... :gunz:
Anyway best electribe-trick ever!!! Thanks for sharing man!!! :D
I do it all the time, u can make the sickest breaks with it.

btw. Great Set Up on your myspace-site!
toxictobi
Electribe Newbie

Postby Stilo on Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:38 am

Isn't it easier to just save as new pattern and switch back and forth between those?
Stilo
Electribe Newbie

Postby StellarJay[aka Ruso] on Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:01 pm

nope.... his trick is great. Try it it may seem easier but this i s much more convenient and a lot safer then switching a pattern. You don't have to remember anything or worry about accidentally skipping a pattern and having it launch something totally different.
StellarJay[aka Ruso]
Site Admin

Postby novatron on Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:23 pm

not only that, when you do change patterns, it doesn't switch over until the end of the pattern (1-8 bars). with this technique, you can instantly changes patterns, you could alternate every bar, every other bar, use it as a break or where ever you choose.
try it, experiment, see what you come up with.
novatron
Electribe Newbie

Postby decrepitude on Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:25 am

Oh yeah - this one's a gem. Obviously great for buildups. For those of us improvising a majority of our performance it coudl be very useful. Plus, after tweaking the 'original' you could 'solo' a part just before going right back to the 'compare' version. Tasty.
:yup:
decrepitude
Electribe Newbie

Postby The Puppeteer on Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:31 pm

Thanks for sharing this. It's an awesome technique. Wish I could do this on my TR909 :(
The Puppeteer
Godlike Productions
The Puppeteer
Electribe Newbie

Postby bog on Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:52 am

sounds useful. is this feature only available on the newer electribes like ESX and EMX? or can you also do this on the older electribes too?
bog
Electribe Newbie

Postby Borg on Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:26 pm

Didn't know this future existed on the ESX-1. I'm definately trying that out!

But it would be great with an audio example. ;)
You'll find me at YouTube, Virb and Facebook
Gear - Korg ESX-1, Mini KP, Tapco Mix.60, MXL 990
Borg
Knob Abuser

Postby StellarJay[aka Ruso] on Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:48 am

i'll put it simply.... if you take a saved pattern, start tweaking with filters, and mutes and pitching and go really far and make it really intence, hit the compare feature and it jumps right back to stock...... hit it again, and go back to the really crazy one... this is also a great panic feature in case you screw up and don't know what you did right away.
StellarJay[aka Ruso]
Site Admin

Next

Return to Live Performance