How do you get to do your gigs?

Talk about Electribe as well as other aspects of performing live.

Moderator: Aciphecs

Re: How do you get to do your gigs?

Postby Borg on Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:16 pm

Hm, maybe that's the problem... What headphones do you have?
You'll find me at YouTube, Virb and Facebook
Gear - Korg ESX-1, Mini KP, Tapco Mix.60, MXL 990
Borg
Knob Abuser

Postby TrondC on Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:17 pm

denon AH-D2000's. when I think about it, I think all the tracks on bandcamp are made with those headphones, which go quite deep, that might explain if it sounds clicky elsewhere... does it sound bass-less also on my soundcloud tracks? :)

anyway, back on topic, I've come to learn three important things:

1. Be persistent!!getting gigs and attention is a constant struggle for small artists, but keep hanging in there and try your best
2. Get in touch with anyone locally who is into your music. having contacts is everything.
3. improve your music.. no matter what, you wont get gigs unless you make good sounding and/or interesting music.
Techno/Dub/Ambient
-Monomachine/Machinedrum UW/Acidlab Bassline/KP3
-Korg Zero 4 mixer - Recordings in Reaper

http://siestasubmarina.bandcamp.com/
http://soundcloud.com/siesta-submarina
TrondC
EF Special Task Force

Postby Borg on Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:48 am

The funny thing is that the songs themselves doesn't lack of bass. It's just that the kick doesn't have that much bottom in it. It's like a concious move from your side. Maybe it's just your way of mixing. :)
Borg
Knob Abuser

Postby StellarJay[aka Ruso] on Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:44 pm

I disagree, on a full studio setup with subs trond's kicks tend to produce overkill bass. ;) On selective tracks.

BRO YOU NEED A SUB AND MONITORS! You can go cheap and do it for only a couple hundred bucks and then spend a few months tuning your ears to the setup, but the bottom line is, you need bottom end.... and not on headphones or regular monitors.....

When you make music with deep bass you need to be able to monitor it flat-line at those levels...
StellarJay[aka Ruso]
Site Admin

Postby StellarJay[aka Ruso] on Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:46 pm

It's not even that your tracks levels are that far off, it's just that your lows are off on selective elements in selective places, and if you had a way to listen to those frequencies you could elliminate that.

I can compensate any of your error with a tiny ableton fx rack which says a lot about your music and the quality of it already.
StellarJay[aka Ruso]
Site Admin

Postby StellarJay[aka Ruso] on Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:47 pm

Which makes me reinforce. Your music has upgraded, this is the next step ;). This is your tipping stone to perfect levels on ANY sound system (if you care to do that that is) :)
StellarJay[aka Ruso]
Site Admin

Postby Borg on Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:31 pm

Ruso wrote:I disagree, on a full studio setup with subs trond's kicks tend to produce overkill bass. ;) On selective tracks.

BRO YOU NEED A SUB AND MONITORS! You can go cheap and do it for only a couple hundred bucks and then spend a few months tuning your ears to the setup, but the bottom line is, you need bottom end.... and not on headphones or regular monitors.....

When you make music with deep bass you need to be able to monitor it flat-line at those levels...

Yeah, you're right. My internal sound card is fucked up. Gotta keep the volume down or else the sound starts cracking up and sound like shyte. I just recently sold my USB interface and bought a firewire interface instead, but I couldn't get it to work with the PCMCIA-firewire adapter. So here I stand with my hand cought in the cookie jar. :roll:
Borg
Knob Abuser

Postby TrondC on Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:53 am

yup, I need a sub allright ;) the monitors are actually really really nice. I got them compared to some cheap krk's and what sounded ok on the krk's sounded absolutely golden on the A7's :) Might just save and pick up the Adam sub that is made specifically to work with the A7 monitors.

but that's far off, I'm as broke as ever, I owe money, don't have a job and even if I did manage to save up, I have so many other things to attend before musical equipment. I'll get me a nice sub next summer I guess :)
Techno/Dub/Ambient

TrondC
EF Special Task Force

Postby StellarJay[aka Ruso] on Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:19 pm

Bro, work for every day things, play shows, money will come... feed the money made on music back into music.
StellarJay[aka Ruso]
Site Admin

Postby TrondC on Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:38 pm

well, the problem is, I can't invest in music even if I wanted to. I'm a student, and will be for another 2 years minimum. I simply don't have the money, even if I stopped eating and took a second part time job I wouldn't be able to afford more gear for a long time. Only reason I have my elektrons is because I worked until I collapsed, two summers in a row...

also, getting paid for gigs? forget it. when I played the festival in oslo, I didn't get anything, not even a beer, and I had to cover travelling and everything else myself. even those who make 30-40 gigs per year do it because of passion for music, they almost never get paid, and if they do, it's never more than to cover a few beers and the tip home.. dont know about the USA, but here you're not likely to make money unless you're a major artist well known on a national scale, which is pretty far from where I'm at (and will be). the best I've gotten for playing is a free home made dinner and one beer...

but as soon as I make a single dollar from music, that dollar goes back into more gear etc :)
Techno/Dub/Ambient

TrondC
EF Special Task Force

PreviousNext

Return to Live Performance