How do you get to do your gigs?

Talk about Electribe as well as other aspects of performing live.

Moderator: Aciphecs

Re: How do you get to do your gigs?

Postby dubathonic on Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:46 am

One thing I like to do is to play unconventional venues -- places you wouldn't think you'd hear electronic music. I find it helps to dabble in several musical styles other than the one you focus on.

Two examples that have worked for me: I play a lot of downtempo material that goes over really well in cafes. (The fact that I play live guitar along with the EMX helps me fit in with the cafe crowd...bring in an instrument like a keyboard and I bet it'll work just as well.) Also, ambient stuff can go over well in art galleries. If there's an owner who is having an opening for a local artist, ask if you can provide the ambience. You get the idea.

Having a few tracks that work well in different contexts can get you through one of these gigs and then lead to others you'd like better. You may have to deal with a different crowd than the dance club scene, but invariably someone will approach you, ask about your rig, and tell you about somebody who's putting on a private party, a festival, etc. that's more to your liking. And that's when you can mention your clubbier stuff and hand them your CD.
EMX, MachineDrum, Octatrack, KP3, Behringer FCB-1010, Taylor T5
http://dubathonic.bandcamp.com/
dubathonic
Knob Fiddler

Postby TrondC on Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:44 pm

art gallery.. will sure have a try at that :p

and cafe's.. well, it might be worth a try, I haven't ever seen even a guy with a guitar on any cafe I know of near here, but who knows :)

nice tips there, hadn't thought of that :)

just sent in some demo's for a local project for small up and coming artists, but I think it's mainly a rock thing (like 99.99% of anything music-related around here), so I'm not holding my breath...

maybe I should just buy some speakers and bring my machinedrum around town ;)
Techno/Dub/Ambient
-Monomachine/Machinedrum UW/Acidlab Bassline/KP3
-Korg Zero 4 mixer - Recordings in Reaper

http://siestasubmarina.bandcamp.com/
http://soundcloud.com/siesta-submarina
TrondC
EF Special Task Force

Postby Blue Monster 65 on Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:13 pm

All of those sound good!

I'd suggest making a demo CD and a package to give to potential "employers" and keeping some in your car, etc. When you're at a place that you think, "Hey! I could play here!" you can just whip one out and give it to the manager.

You might want to ask 'em if you can either sell your CDs or take donations while playing, so they don't have a financial obligation. That way they may be a little more open to having/letting you play in their establishment: no cost to them!

The only thing I'd warn about showing up with your own PA and playing is that some cities have ordinances where you have to a permit in order to play on the street.

As before, good luck! And do keep us posted on what happens.

Scott
Blue Monster 65
EF Special Task Force

Postby TrondC on Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:14 am

yeah, I did the CD demo thing (even paid around $70 for 50 professionally made cd covers), gave them out to the dj's, club owners, radio stations, friends and family. response = nill.

I really am having a hard time believing that what I'm doing may be interesting to anyone else than myself and a few forum people.. I talked to the DJ who booked the one and only show I ever did about the possibility of a future gig at the same place, and while his mouth said "yeah, we'll see what out plans look like", his body language was one of "sorry man, forget it"... which is too bad, since that is the ONLY venue in town that specializes in electronic music.

anyway, any gigging plans are on hold until atleast february, as I have nowhere near enough time to put together and rehearse a good set due to work and school, moving (again, fook), but I plan to do a full-on promotion thing with youtube videos of my set, demo CD's that are properly mixed that I give to venues, radio stations (again), musician friends, talking to anyone and everyone I know who might help me out, and rehearsing like hell, focusing only on the set I'm playing and nothing else. if that doesn't work, I give up gigging and settle for bedroom recordings instead. :(

on the bright side I love making music anyway :D
Techno/Dub/Ambient

TrondC
EF Special Task Force

Postby Blue Monster 65 on Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:28 am

TrondC wrote:on the bright side I love making music anyway :D

Which is as it should be.

Don't forget the all-important follow up. This is the same thing as looking for a job: you to keep at them, reminding your intended that you WANT to do this for them, it's in their best interest, etc.

Persistence pays.

Sounds like you've got plans, though, which is good.

Scott
Blue Monster 65
EF Special Task Force

Postby Daddylaser on Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:06 pm

"my music is uninteresting to venues"
ain't that the truth

story of my life

venues like bands...and djs..
they don't like us

i have found a solution that suits myself..

i book the venues myself....basically i have become a gig promoter just to get myself gigs

oh the irony

oh the electrovanity

for example....most venues nowadays will not pay for original musicians like ourselves
so...
book a smallish venue
get a locally popular band to headline
put yourself on as support/special guest

its a shyte way of doing it but its better to act yourself than to wait til you are asked to play
Daddylaser
Electribe Newbie

Postby Daddylaser on Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:30 pm

great thread by the way

another point i wanted to make...
try to do as many remixes for people/bands as possible as this gets your name out there more and more
Daddylaser
Electribe Newbie

Postby SNFool on Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:39 am

Here is some advice...

Most clubowners/the people who book the show wouldn't know good music if it smacked their ears... they know numbers. How many people can you draw? Are they of legal age to buy drinks, etc. So, that being said, they don't necessarily want to hear your music, they want to see a resume and they want a good deal on the negotiation side. Remember you can renegotiate later once you can prove to them you really are professional and do a nights worth of music drawing people in. But you say... I haven't many shows yet...

#1 Priority is meeting other musicians. Don't just play gigs... go out and see others perform. Make friends... maybe even make a date to record some music or jam. You don't have to be part of a crew in order to play at their events. Tell them you will play for free. I did and every once in awhile I get a sum of cash at the end (generally when people specifically come out to see me). So far I have gotten paid only 20% of the time. But 100% of the time I had a blast and 80% of the time I received some sort of drink ticket/bag of headies/or free food. Thats 200% for just playing for free. Thats a lot of percents.

#2 Clubs are lame but moneymakers as far as gigging is concerned. Play underground events/parties to make a name for yourself and to have real fun. Remember it makes sense that you get paid for bringing people in. Why should you get paid for "entertaining" a crowd over the next person. The answer is because on that particular night you will bring in more people than anyone else they could book. That is going back to the clubowners only concerned with numbers. Basically, if its an empty bar, you won't likely be playing that bar again.

#3 I post on facebook, accept friend request from fans, and have fun with it. The person or company who is throwing the event should be making flyers. Tell them you want to help out with promoting the show. They will appreciate it, but don't get too high on your horse, it is pretty much expected that you will be doing so. Also, don't expect to have your name on the flyer. When it does happen you'll be pumped, but until that happens keep the mindset of just being pumped to play. Thank everyone who helped you get the gig and be humble. Let them know how excited you are. People like ambitious kids who are professional, on time, and have something to bring to the table.

#3 In retrospect I look back and see how it worked. But while I was doing it I was just having fun, making friends, and completely immersing myself in music. Seriously, last Spring when this all started I failed all but one class at school (music theory). Currently I have left school and am strictly focusing on music. In the end all this has worked for me. But on the other hand I am confident it will NOT work for everybody. Know yourself, be yourself, and always be thinking creatively. Some people say "don't think too much about it" and thats a disservice to the craft. Just try not to think about the drab details about getting more and more gigs etc. At least I try not to, it takes away from the magic.
SNFool
Knob Abuser

Postby TrondC on Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:21 am

SNFool wrote:Here is some advice...

Most clubowners/the people who book the show wouldn't know good music if it smacked their ears... they know numbers. How many people can you draw? Are they of legal age to buy drinks, etc. So, that being said, they don't necessarily want to hear your music, they want to see a resume and they want a good deal on the negotiation side. Remember you can renegotiate later once you can prove to them you really are professional and do a nights worth of music drawing people in. But you say... I haven't many shows yet...

#1 Priority is meeting other musicians. Don't just play gigs... go out and see others perform. Make friends... maybe even make a date to record some music or jam. You don't have to be part of a crew in order to play at their events. Tell them you will play for free. I did and every once in awhile I get a sum of cash at the end (generally when people specifically come out to see me). So far I have gotten paid only 20% of the time. But 100% of the time I had a blast and 80% of the time I received some sort of drink ticket/bag of headies/or free food. Thats 200% for just playing for free. Thats a lot of percents.

#2 Clubs are lame but moneymakers as far as gigging is concerned. Play underground events/parties to make a name for yourself and to have real fun. Remember it makes sense that you get paid for bringing people in. Why should you get paid for "entertaining" a crowd over the next person. The answer is because on that particular night you will bring in more people than anyone else they could book. That is going back to the clubowners only concerned with numbers. Basically, if its an empty bar, you won't likely be playing that bar again.

#3 I post on facebook, accept friend request from fans, and have fun with it. The person or company who is throwing the event should be making flyers. Tell them you want to help out with promoting the show. They will appreciate it, but don't get too high on your horse, it is pretty much expected that you will be doing so. Also, don't expect to have your name on the flyer. When it does happen you'll be pumped, but until that happens keep the mindset of just being pumped to play. Thank everyone who helped you get the gig and be humble. Let them know how excited you are. People like ambitious kids who are professional, on time, and have something to bring to the table.

#3 In retrospect I look back and see how it worked. But while I was doing it I was just having fun, making friends, and completely immersing myself in music. Seriously, last Spring when this all started I failed all but one class at school (music theory). Currently I have left school and am strictly focusing on music. In the end all this has worked for me. But on the other hand I am confident it will NOT work for everybody. Know yourself, be yourself, and always be thinking creatively. Some people say "don't think too much about it" and thats a disservice to the craft. Just try not to think about the drab details about getting more and more gigs etc. At least I try not to, it takes away from the magic.

hm, problem is, that even if I offered to PAY the venue to play, they still probably couldn't care less. I hadn't even thought about getting paid for doing a gig until i read that... second, after almost a year of research, I've yet to find any undergound event or party. I'm trying to build a network with other musicians, but we are so few, and 98% of anyone I've met so far are DJ's only, meaning they get their gigs because they can make a set that is pleasing to the party crowd. My music is not very party-oriented, and as such, not interesting for gigs.

in my town, gigs are for rock, metal and pop bands, while electronic music is limited to anything with 4x4 beat, sidechain and party factor of 100%
I got one gig almost two weeks ago, and that was a lot of fun. audience was about 30 ppl, which was something like a new record for that concept.. that says something about just how little interest there is in alternative music in this place. I might buy myself a DJ-controller, serato and start dj'ing to get out to a crowd, but I don't see the point...

I've sent out no less than 58 e-mails over the cource of the last two weeks, promoting myself, adding a video of me playing live, links to my music, even the wav. of my liveset as it sounds today (it's in the music-section here too), telling that I am looking for a place to play, and what they would say about that. 2 weeks in, and response is still at dead zero.

anyway, atleast I've gotten in contact with soem nice people whoare interested in my music. if something doesn't happen this spring, it probably never will..
Techno/Dub/Ambient

TrondC
EF Special Task Force

Postby SNFool on Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:19 am

Hmmm I understand now that your area might be the issue. I wrote an article in the tutorials section just the other day, its got some more tips.

So heres where I think you should go from here. Those DJs play at these 4 x 4 parties right? Ask them if you can open one night where they are playing. Let them know you want to be involved in the areas events. Have someone on the mic let the crowd know what your doing is all original and let them take pride in a local boy creating new electronic music in their town.

Now heres where we get philosophical and many might not agree with me. Now desert island scenario I used to say all I would bring would be a guitar. My friend brought up the point that the majority of us musicians don't get good at what we do for selfish reasons. Often we learn new things so we can create an environment that is pleasing to everyone in the room. That doesn't mean you shouldn't be pushing boundaries... but maybe you should be incorporating what the crowd likes but without selling your soul. I personally span a wide genre of beats and styles. My least favorite beat is the four on the floor if you will. BUT!!! It gets the dancefloor moving... I can build up the energy then WHAMMM!!! I drop some dubbed out music which is personally where my soul resides.

And you better believe I've fixed/deleted/and remixed many a tune because the audience didn't receive it to well. Because.... why play through speakers? If you aren't performing for the audience then why not just stay home with your headphones? I dunno... I told you I was going to get all philosophical, but my rational for playing is to entertain people and to inspire them.
SNFool
Knob Abuser

PreviousNext

Return to Live Performance