How do you get to do your gigs?

Talk about Electribe as well as other aspects of performing live.

Moderator: Aciphecs

Re: How do you get to do your gigs?

Postby TrondC on Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:27 am

yeah, your point are shared with mine. I want to create a good listening experience for the audience. sadly, it doesn't seem to be what they want in this area, if it's electronic it's "supposed" to be party-music.

opening for DJ's sound like a good idea, that'skinda what I've done on one of my shows anyway.

thanx for the ideas
Techno/Dub/Ambient
-Monomachine/Machinedrum UW/Acidlab Bassline/KP3
-Korg Zero 4 mixer - Recordings in Reaper

http://siestasubmarina.bandcamp.com/
http://soundcloud.com/siesta-submarina
TrondC
EF Special Task Force

Postby SNFool on Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:28 pm

No problem. I wish I could be more help. Maybe some words from Frank Zappa would help. This is his message to struggling musicians... "Don't stop and keep trying."
SNFool
Knob Abuser

Postby SNFool on Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:29 pm

Oh P.s. If you'd like to chat sometime you can feel free to friend me on facebook (if you have it). My handle is "Don B. Dubious". Private message me if you don't have facebook and would like to find another way.
SNFool
Knob Abuser

Postby StellarJay[aka Ruso] on Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:04 pm

Mellow sets go hand in hand with outdoor music festivals! Particularly those late night timeslots... rather early morning... that's when truly epic music comes out :-D

I actually have decided to split my liveset into two livesets for that particular purpose.... this way I can play two sets per festival :-P
:brush:
StellarJay[aka Ruso]
Site Admin

Postby SNFool on Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:34 pm

Oh man I can't wait for festival season. My sets are written on the spot. I have some more uptempo stuff as well as some dub. I usually tailor my set to who was playing before me and whether or not it was working. If people are digging on a DnB DJ I throw on my best DnB tune as an opener. This keeps the energy consistent and the dancers happy.
SNFool
Knob Abuser

Postby TrondC on Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:07 pm

Ruso wrote:Mellow sets go hand in hand with outdoor music festivals! Particularly those late night timeslots... rather early morning... that's when truly epic music comes out :-D

I actually have decided to split my liveset into two livesets for that particular purpose.... this way I can play two sets per festival :-P
:brush:

damn, it must be great having all theese festivals available :) I've e-mailed every festival I know of in the entire of Norway now, including jazz festivals and whatever, still no reply. my more succsessful friends got 5 gigs booked already. noteworthy they are much more professional and they make catchy, dancefloor and non-genere specific house/rock music, but still, it feels like my music just isn't interesting for live venues at all. Which is partially ok, as I make introverted music best heard on high-end headphones, but I'd still love to just have anywhere to play..

on the bright side, my chillout-loving friends told me I should have a more than fair chance of playing at Ozora festival, which specializes in "atmospheric electronica" after hearing my set, but unfortunately, it's in Hungary or something... quite a travel with more gear than I can carry alone...

so. I've decided to try my best to seperate my music in two: the chillout/dub stuff as my main musical output, but also straight up techno stuff for opening/warming up for some local DJ's and whatnot. atleast I know it can make people move, which seems to be 100% the only thing any venue around here care about.

I'll post some (non electribe, sorry) stuff later when I find the time to record some
Techno/Dub/Ambient

TrondC
EF Special Task Force

Postby StellarJay[aka Ruso] on Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:26 am

It's always a smart move to open as many doors for yourself as you can early on.... I'm doing the same thing... I want a more chill set that I could play on the local radio for example..... and my main set which is... well Ruso rockin

I actually drive a bus at a ski resort and what I've been doing is building a pretty large fanbase just by putting on my music and telling people about what I do.

Now some people ride my bus weekly for hours at a time just to listen to new tracks ;)
:thumbs:
StellarJay[aka Ruso]
Site Admin

Postby StellarJay[aka Ruso] on Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:29 am

Oh my favorite thing to do is during summer time to run my portable rig off of my car (via studio monitors and subs) and go play on the street for people (or even sometimes in a public park).

The one that works best for me and gets the best response is this one skate park.... I must have played at least 15 sets there last summer. Once again... another small fan base....

Friends tell friends and it grows! Give them CD's so they can give them to their friends..... now if you have a gig... even if it's small.... you can invite your fans and they'll come back to your next show.
StellarJay[aka Ruso]
Site Admin

Postby TrondC on Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:53 am

yup, all of this sounds good, but it still needs a show in the first place. my fans can't go if there are no gigs. I don't have a car, so I couldn't do that, even tho it sounds awesome, but I'm more and more liking the idea of doing live shows on parties etc, maybe one for the student radio etc.

anyway, I'm glad to hear you're doing well, seems you're getting payout from all your hard work :)
Techno/Dub/Ambient

TrondC
EF Special Task Force

Postby StellarJay[aka Ruso] on Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:26 am

I just keep taking major leaps both musically and in status and it's driving me to create more and better every time.

Also recently I shifted more into trying to express my feelings through music.... rather spread different emotions out of music. I think even though usually a lot more mellow than my wobblers it will keep things more interesting for the crowd.
StellarJay[aka Ruso]
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Live Performance