ES & ESX comp anyone?

Moderator: Aciphecs

ES & ESX comp anyone?

Postby Unfolding Machines on Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:48 am

Last March we held a small sampling comp for the 'tribes. The idea was simple. Take two bits of music- one drum break & one whole song then flip it using only one 'tribe in a week or so. Nothing else.

So if there's much interest (say 3 or 4 other competitors) in holding a comp, let's battle!
Unfolding Machines
Knob Fiddler

Re: ES & ESX comp anyone?

Postby adamitron on Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:46 am

i've been down since last time, as well as the on the fly comp that was proposed here. seeing as how you won the last one, and brought back up the idea in general, i say you pick us out some sounds.
adamitron
Knob Fiddler

Postby Aciphecs on Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:18 am

I'm always down :D
Aciphecs
EF Special Task Force

Postby Asadex on Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:32 am

Great Idea!
Something like:

The Music Challenge n. ...
Subject: ...
[deadline: ... ]

1. Only one song per contestant.

2. No voting for your own song.

3. No previously used material. All music must be fresh, shot for this challenge, and never used on any thread.

4. The winner of the last poll will set the next topic; if the same person stands as the winner two times in a row, he or she must choose another user to present the next topic.

5. In the event of a tie in the polls, the person who created the challenge casts the tie breaking vote.

6. The challenge starts when the challenge thread is opened. It is open for new entries for 20 days, after which the vote poll is opened by the challenge starter. If (s)he fails to do so, anyone is free to open the voting thread. The voting thread should have all the entries in it and have public voting to prevent cheating.

7. The voting will go on for 3 days, then the winner (or other person assigned to start a new challenge, see rule 4 and 5) starts a new thread named "The Music Challenge - [name]", where [name] indicates the topic of the new challenge. If he fails to do so within the day the poll ends, the next person in the poll may do so.

8. Songs should have a title to make them easy to identify, however this is optional.
Asadex
Electribe Newbie

Postby Aciphecs on Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:41 am

As you notice, I have moved this topic to the appropriate sub-forum.

This format looks good, I would maybe change the voting time to longer than 3 days as this isn't the busiest forum and some people only visit once/twice a week and may miss the voting window. Maybe a week for voting?

I also think that we don't need to be so strict as to when the next comp starts, again the winner might not be online the day the voting concludes. I think that a week (3 days at least)to get the samples ready for the next round would work better. Just ideas here :D
Aciphecs
EF Special Task Force

Postby adamitron on Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:01 am

hopefully i can get a new power supply for my esx before this starts, cause i've waited some time to get in on another one of these.
adamitron
Knob Fiddler

Postby Asadex on Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:44 pm

And what about a "music challenge", without limitations than a subject
after some competitons we can do a compilation of the winner songs rockin
Asadex
Electribe Newbie

Postby Unfolding Machines on Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:59 am

Sweet! Its great that there's still interest in competing. Awesome. Let's do this.

@ Adamitron: Have you got your new power pack?

To be honest, I want to throw down to Sauce & Hseiken in rediculous pro-wrestling style & see what they can do under pressure too. I've just PM'd them the invite.

@Asadex: nice ideas for the song comp, but here's how we did it last time:
- Only one 'tribe sampler used for everything (ES or ESX), including FX
- Some very limited post production allowed (EQ & compression only)
- 2 samples used only (1x drum beat, 1x melodic song), no outside sounds at all

^Pretty much the same rules as the SP-Forums battles.

No need to worry about the votes either. Honesty's a pretty easy policy. Liars & cheats get found quickly too. If you don't work to the rules & use outside sounds, go for it- just be open about it. Submit it anyway & we'll still listen to & comment on your work.

As Aciphecs said, this isn't the busiest place on the web so the comp (when it kicks off) will go for 3 weeks with one week voting.

Get practicing. On Sunday the 17th I'll make my mind up on what samples to use & post them up here to start the comp.

All good?
Unfolding Machines
Knob Fiddler

Postby hseiken on Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:45 pm

I just saw this thread. I'm game. :)

I'm pretty quick to put ideas together, so 3 weeks is probably too long for me, especially for a battle (my entry to this months SDCOMPO took me about 3 hours...but it was also a joke...lol)

I will be participating.

ESX will be my machine. I will also be using hardware stereo compressor.
GEAR: ESX, Micron, KP3, Kaossilator, ER-1mk2, Xenyx 801, VS880, US-122
hseiken

Return to Electribe-Forum Contest