contest idea

Moderator: Aciphecs

contest idea

Postby oldboy on Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:33 pm

Well, the last contest idea feel through or I completely missed it. (furby contest) But I feel this community should and totally can pull off a contest. So here is my Idea. I will put up on of my oil paintings to be given to the winner. If no one finds any interest in the paintings that is totally fine. But I think we should have that kind of spirit for the contest. I'm not saying we should put up money for the winner or give away expensive gear ( not that you guys don't deserve money and gear ( gear as in musical equipment, not blow)

Other ideas for contest winners.

Art.
T-shirt.... ohhhhh electribe forum t-shirts ( note: my brother runs a screen printing business and i would donate money into making a few shirts)
Posters.
Sample pack ( made by everyone here )
Records as in vinyl
well.... I know there could be many different prizes , but i can't think of them now !! puhahah

Anyway, its just an idea to get the contest moving a little faster. I will post a few pics of my work later.

Thanks for the read, oldboya, aka 내숭 (nae seong)
〫〫〫〫〫〫〫〫〫〫〫〫〫내숭〫〫〫〫〫〫〫〫〫〫〫〫〫〫〫
oldboy
Knob Fiddler

Re: contest idea

Postby StellarJay[aka Ruso] on Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:02 pm

I have been brainstorming ideas for a contest for actually a couple weeks now and have some solid fair ideas.....

As far a s prizes... I guess there's really nothing stopping us from throwing a couple bucks into a paypal donation pool and then routing the money to the winner? That should get our juices flowing!

But yes definitely a contest is a need.... and I want to design one that would be fair for sample based approach but also synth based approach....

I was also considering not limiting to the electribes, but to have a way of leaving thorough feedback about each entry from us more experienced musicians from the point of complexity of the work RELATIVE to the gear....

For example... two contestants make two drum kids..... one is limited strictly by the EMX.... his kit will sound duller, less saturated etc etc compared to say someone who makes one in ableton and adds different delays on different drums, saturations, compression and sweet ableton reverbs....

In all fairness I would have to require each entry to describe how they made the song.

Anyways, yes I still want to do a minimalistic contest where you have to build a track with only a couple of elements.
StellarJay[aka Ruso]
Site Admin

Postby StellarJay[aka Ruso] on Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:04 pm

I just came up with an idea for the contest.... making a track that is based on say five elements which are based on your basic waveforms.... (saw square triangle and noise).... you are allowed to use as many effects, resamples, and motion sequences and pitch modulations to create a complete composition.
StellarJay[aka Ruso]
Site Admin

Postby oldboy on Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:51 pm

I like your idea from both posts, though im in a little hurry now , so later we can really get this going. again i might have misread what you wrote, but in general im totally on board with what you are saying ( though, i'm rather hesitant about the actually money prize idea, thought i could be convinced otherwise )

1. How the song is made , hardware vs software

Maybe there could be several contests (all at different times so as not to hurry any production)
one for just esx/emx
one for software
one for mixed and so on.....

2.elaborate on how the song is made and the artist's intention/ reason for making the song.

so to show depth of the artist and his ability to explain his work. also to prove the person made the tracks the way she/he said they did.

3 how to judge the music.

Keep the producers name withdrawn ( maybe even the track titles, some of us can tell who made it by the track title. )

Each song gets a rating given by electribe forum member ?
post the songs on another site ?

im out of time, g2g, ill post again soon.
love the idea about the 5 sample song, i also got an idea along those lines, because of your 5 samp song. a song that only using one sample and then just destroy it !! ! !
〫〫〫〫〫〫〫〫〫〫〫〫〫내숭〫〫〫〫〫〫〫〫〫〫〫〫〫〫〫
oldboy
Knob Fiddler

Postby bresk on Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:23 am

What about an only tribe based, no software or other gear contest ?
ESX category , EMX category, and more than one machine category (MX + SX or older ones )

Songs could be sent like wave file but also with the project file like in the good old tracker days.

the 5 sample limitation sounds good too! :thumbs:
ESX - EA1.mk2 - M1r - KP2 - KP3
bresk
Knob Fiddler

Postby Yatmandu on Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:57 am

One problem is that, Ruso, the dude who's actually running this site no longer has a tribe, so to be fair and include him in the contest we can limit it to the types of sounds, rather than the type of gear, as suggested.
Yatmandu
Knob Fiddler

Postby Dj Pound on Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:06 am

This is just a random idea that im throwing out there. But I think it would be cool if we find a song from the 80's that everyone agrees is rather cool, and have everyone participating remake that particular song with samples or synths or both...and see who can come up with the better version :lol:

Just an idea........So far everything ive read sounds really cool.
Korg ESX-1
Korg EMX-1
Korg ES-1
Microkorg
Akai MPC-2000XL
Boss BR-532

http://titusandtheraindrops.tumblr.com/

http://soundcloud.com/you/tracks
Dj Pound
Knob Fiddler

Postby StellarJay[aka Ruso] on Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:22 am

I believe I'm not the only one on here that dumped their electribes and moved on but still comes here to hang out ;)

I would have to disagree with doing an 80's song remake/remix for obvious reasons.... it's illegal. Granted this site is not even a blimp on the radar but you know I'd prefer to keep it clean.

I still want to make a VERY limited contest and make a song with the least amount of elements... because I think it would be a real challenge for all of us, including me. It would push the creativity curve a bit :)
StellarJay[aka Ruso]
Site Admin

Postby Yatmandu on Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:44 am

Too bad about the 80's thing, because I had a song in mind, "oooooh yeah!!" :lol:
Yatmandu
Knob Fiddler

Postby Dj Pound on Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:52 am

Too bad about the 80's thing, because I had a song in mind, "oooooh yeah!!"

hahaha....shooka shu kaaa
Korg ESX-1
Korg EMX-1
Korg ES-1
Microkorg
Akai MPC-2000XL
Boss BR-532