esx sample battles idea?

Moderator: Aciphecs

esx sample battles idea?

Postby timfromtexas on Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:02 pm

im sure the emx guys/gals could figure out a way to only use specific samples and make this work too

on another board i go to they do a monthly/few weeks version of this and a ton of people get involved and it actually turns out pretty cool month after month..

the samples are provided by the winner of the previous "battle"

one sample is usually an instrument.. strings/guitar/synth/whatever and is usually a longish sample (2-3 minutes) with a variety of sounds to the part they post..

and the second sample is usually a drum break.. sometimes people do drum kits rather than breaks because it goes faster than chopping up stuff and the song comes out faster... some people do both so you have the freedom to chop as much or as little as you want...

there is usually a time frame that everyone has to post their beats by (using box.net or similar hosting sites) and once the beats are all finished they are posted back up at the top of the thread... a poll is made and youre judged by the members of the board and like before the winner picks the stuff for the next round...

the idea is keeping as much of the process in the box as possible.. there are set rules and guidelines and those rules can be adjusted/bent on a group decision basis..

its cool we should start doing this.. maybe the speed will pick up around here..

yes? no? maybe? suggestions?

i posted this on the korg site also...
timfromtexas
Electribe Newbie

Re: esx sample battles idea?

Postby hseiken on Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:28 pm

I like the idea. I used to do some SDCompos, which centers around ReNoise, though it uses other programs as well.

I propose the following rules:

For ESX Owners:

- Song must be completely sequenced inside the ESX.
- Resampling is allowed as long as no external effects were used. The honor system must be followed, however, if necessary, we can have a dump of patterns and such used to resample along with copies of the sample for each step effects were used and then resampled. I prefer the honor system. Less messy.

- No outside samples or factory samples can be used. Only samples in the pack may be used.

- Song may be 'performed' or sequenced in song mode.

- No external effects may be used. (i.e. don't throw your KP3 on it)

- Audio Input may not be used.

- Any genre allowed as long as they use at least a single sample from the pack.

For EMX Owners:

Genre battles maybe? Best song using single pattern? etc. Same rules would have to apply...use only EMX with no external gear. Must be all in the box.

I like the idea. It definitely gets a person more...in tune with their gear. Especially when there's a battle that has a sample pack consisting of a single sample...those are fun! :) Teaches you to look at sampling from a whole different light...

I think for the first battle, Ruso should create the sample pack and not participate and from then on, the rules about winner makes the soundpack for the next battle would apply and Ruso's allowed in.

The only thing I'm concerned with is timeframe...One can make a decent groove on the ESX in no time...so a month seem like it might be a little long...but I understand that many people are busy and have their own projects they wish to work on before a little battle for fun...

At any rate...

+100
GEAR: ESX, Micron, KP3, Kaossilator, ER-1mk2, Xenyx 801, VS880, US-122
hseiken

Postby Yatmandu on Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:27 pm

So would this be like a long wav file with all the samples seperated by silence, and it's up to you how you use them? For instance, I'd use the wave organizer to import them into ESX and then just go and create something out of only the parts that contain these samples. Would that work? I have no clue what resampling is, and you mention it often hseiken. Is it basically taking the sample, doing something to it with the ESX then and recording it as a new sample? I guess it's a way to add more than the 3 FX on it? I probably wouldn't much of that given the meh quality of electribe FX, but i digress...

Anyway, sounds like a good idea. I finally have some free time too.

by the way, not everyone has an esx, so would you open it up to anyone that wants to use a pc/ableton/sp-x0x/mpc whatever is available?
Yatmandu
Knob Fiddler

Postby timfromtexas on Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:51 pm

as far as including the other stuff i say NO... this is the tribe forum...

korg samplers only.. kp3 users perhaps but it would be more effective if it was the sampler line of korg products only,,, mainly centered around the esx... maybe not maybe there could be more input? i donno.. on the other forum they only allow the samples given to use and those only... for the most part its somewhat easy to spot.. and if it comes down to it the creator should have no problem explaining where the samples came from...

here are the samples from the one i just participated in..

http://www.box.net/shared/73qj62c9x1

http://www.box.net/shared/3k2x1k29o2

and here is the track i made...

http://www.box.net/shared/ni2zegivfs

EDIT: seeing as the esx has a limited sample time i did a good portion of my chopping on the computer then kinda fixed up and edited on the esx...

i did include the extra sample at the beginning and knew i could get excluded from the judging but it was too appropriate to not use...

im not saying have or even should follow the same format and have to do EVERYTHING inside the box but i think its a cool idea and something like this should be done for the tribes..

thanks for input...

ps i dont think ruso even has a tribe anymore?
timfromtexas
Electribe Newbie

Postby Dj Pound on Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:11 pm

Sounds good to me :)
Korg ESX-1
Korg EMX-1
Korg ES-1
Microkorg
Akai MPC-2000XL
Boss BR-532

http://titusandtheraindrops.tumblr.com/

http://soundcloud.com/you/tracks
Dj Pound
Knob Fiddler

Postby StellarJay[aka Ruso] on Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:37 pm

moved to the right forum :)
StellarJay[aka Ruso]
Site Admin

Postby bresk on Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:21 am

let's do this ! :thumbs:
ESX - EA1.mk2 - M1r - KP2 - KP3
bresk
Knob Fiddler

Postby hseiken on Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:04 pm

Yatmandu wrote: I have no clue what resampling is, and you mention it often hseiken.

If you're in pattern mode and have a sample with fx or chopped up in weird ways using the sequencer, or etc, if you push SHIFT+Record button, you record whatever is being played out of the ESX into a new sample. WHen you go to the Sample menu, you see NEW SAMPLE and when you press play, you hear what you just played in the pattern.

You can completely DESTROY a sound doing this method repeatedly. Imagine a ping, just a short blip of a sine wave with huge settings on reverb, chorus and delay chained together. Resample it. Now play the new sample with some distortion and filter sweeps, maybe even in reverse. Resample it. Play the new sample...it's far more than it's original 'ping' now...it's something completely different, but it all started with the original PING.

It's basically audio editing within the box. There's lots of ways to use this feature and it's one of my favorite features.
GEAR: ESX, Micron, KP3, Kaossilator, ER-1mk2, Xenyx 801, VS880, US-122
hseiken

Postby Yatmandu on Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:51 pm

hseiken wrote:
Yatmandu wrote: I have no clue what resampling is, and you mention it often hseiken.

If you're in pattern mode and have a sample with fx or chopped up in weird ways using the sequencer, or etc, if you push SHIFT+Record button, you record whatever is being played out of the ESX into a new sample. WHen you go to the Sample menu, you see NEW SAMPLE and when you press play, you hear what you just played in the pattern.

You can completely DESTROY a sound doing this method repeatedly. Imagine a ping, just a short blip of a sine wave with huge settings on reverb, chorus and delay chained together. Resample it. Now play the new sample with some distortion and filter sweeps, maybe even in reverse. Resample it. Play the new sample...it's far more than it's original 'ping' now...it's something completely different, but it all started with the original PING.

It's basically audio editing within the box. There's lots of ways to use this feature and it's one of my favorite features.

Very cool! I haven't been diving into these machines as much as I should! I'll have to try it.
Yatmandu
Knob Fiddler

Postby Dj Pound on Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:56 pm

hseiken wrote:

Definetly one of the main reasons why I love that machine so much.
Korg ESX-1
Korg EMX-1
Korg ES-1
Microkorg
Akai MPC-2000XL
Boss BR-532

http://titusandtheraindrops.tumblr.com/

http://soundcloud.com/you/tracks
Dj Pound
Knob Fiddler

Next

Return to Previous Contests