Trouble receiving MIDI data with EA-1 mk1

Ask and discuss about how to work with electribes. Share your discoveries and ideas.

Moderator: Aciphecs

Trouble receiving MIDI data with EA-1 mk1

Postby Yap on Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:22 pm

Hi, I got an Electribe EA-1 and I've run into a big problem with backing up pattern data. I was able to Dump all the data to a file using MIDI-OX just fine, but when I try to send the data back to the EA-1, the LCD display gives me an "Er. 9" message at the very end. That's the error message for when write protection in Global --> Protect is turned on and you try to change something. But here's the weird part, it does it whether or not write protection is on or off. Totally perplexing.

It's doubtful I'll get an answer here, seems to be a pretty small forum for hobbyists, but I figured it's worth a shot. Any help would be appreciated.
Yap
Electribe Newbie

Re: Trouble receiving MIDI data with EA-1 mk1

Postby StellarJay[aka Ruso] on Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:28 am

Well this is about as big of a forum as any. I personally have no experience with that machine in particular but I do have extensive electribe experience as well as midi.

How are you making a midi dump in midi ox? Are you just receiving it as a sysx dump into a text file? and then you try to send it back?
StellarJay[aka Ruso]
Site Admin

Postby Yap on Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:48 pm

In MIDI-OX, I got the .SYX dump by selecting Receive Manual Dump in the Sysex window and then I sent the data from the Electribe using the MIDI --> Dump option, and had it set to ALL. The dumped data is about 145KB, and is a bunch of hexadecimals; it starts with F0 and ends with F7. When the Electribe is receiving the data, it does its usual thing, it has a crudely animated flashy rectangle thing on the LCD. It's only when it finishes doing that that it gives a Er.9 message.

Yeah, that's about it... I did mess with the Sysex options for awhile, but the result was that it'd give me either an error message for sending too many buffers too quickly, or the Er.9 if there were no error messages in MIDI-OX.
Yap
Electribe Newbie

Postby The Puppeteer on Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:51 pm

You need to be in dump mode to receive a data dump on the EA1, unless you set MIDI Filter parameter E to 0 (as opposed to -)

Also make sure you save your master settings after changing the Memory Protect.

Also, the EA1 uses the MIDI channel set for channel 1 as the SYSEX ID. I'm not sure if this matters for Dumps as the message format doesn't appear to incorporate a SYSEX ID (though Korg's SYSEX spec is not the easiest document to follow), but it might be worth playing around with the Channel 1 MIDI channel if all else fails.
The Puppeteer
Godlike Productions
The Puppeteer
Electribe Newbie

Return to Technical Talk