song mode question

Ask and discuss about how to work with electribes. Share your discoveries and ideas.

Moderator: Aciphecs

Re: song mode question

Postby Toybeat on Mon May 19, 2008 5:14 pm

Ruso wrote:you could always record into ableton, then quantize or manually fix erors and then record onto the electribe....
That's a very good idea Ruso... ;)
EMX1,ESX1,KP3.
Toybeat
Electribe Newbie

Postby reddzero on Tue May 20, 2008 4:38 am

The thing is , when using the last-step feature to make anything from 1-step bars upt to 16-step bars it can be a nightmare playing the song without flaw ... this is where songmode comes in .

its up to you , i still use live mode too but i find songmode to offer a better way of making complex structures within a tune .
reddzero
Electribe Newbie

Postby Tarekith on Tue May 20, 2008 7:20 am

Ruso wrote:you could always record into ableton, then quantize or manually fix erors and then record onto the electribe....

Interesting idea!
ImageImage
Tarekith
Knob Abuser

Postby EvanB on Tue May 20, 2008 3:23 pm

yeah, actually what I was doing was syncing up the ESX to Logic.

I'm working on arranging a version of Zelda, and basically have recorded the midi keyboard parts in Logic, and worked on the beats with the ESX. that's when I learned that if you record a melody in song mode, it'll save it even if it overlaps positions. very awesome. anyway, all I had to do was record the midi part that logic "played" into the SX. but I accidently re-recorded over a part and messed it up.

Cool thing is, is that when you have the ESX slaved to Logic, it remembers song position and everything and will sync right up to the beat even to where-ever you move the SPL in logic. So if I jump to the middle of the song, the ESX follows and moves to the right position and beat flawlessly.

I did realize that it WON'T do this in pattern mode, only in song mode. in pattern mode, I believe you have to hit "play" on the ESX first, and then hit play in Logic, and then everything seems ok.

So here's where I'm at so far with the ESX quest for song mode editing.
Spoke to Korg again today to try to get my ESX upgraded to the most recent OS (version 1.02) and apparently, if you upgrade to the new version you should be able to edit event data (mutes, keyboard parts, etc.) which would be very helpful. however, I Just got my Smartmedia Card reader today, and when I transfered the Update files to the card and then to the ESX, it wouldn't update, or even prompt me that I wanted to update the system. So called them back, and they were having the same problems- anyone else been able to update the OS on the SX?

will let you know when I find out if it works,

Evan
EvanB
Electribe Newbie

Postby EvanB on Thu May 22, 2008 8:32 am

Ok guys, finally worked it out.

While you are in Song mode if you wanna erase event data, you have to push Record, and then Play. THEN while it's "recording" you hold down shift and erase and it will erase any event data that is currently playing.

So basically anything that you add over top of the patterns - keyboard parts, drum hits, motion sequences, mutes, etc. will be erased, but the patterns will remain.

pretty amazing.

Evan
EvanB
Electribe Newbie

Postby reddzero on Sun May 25, 2008 7:16 am

Your the man !!! The only thing i dont know bout the mx , and youve solved this for me .. thanks
reddzero
Electribe Newbie

Postby StellarJay[aka Ruso] on Mon May 26, 2008 1:51 pm

Good find, great find! :gunz: :hug:
StellarJay[aka Ruso]
Site Admin

Postby sayenex on Mon May 26, 2008 8:03 pm

Sweet, yeah I'm really excited, I'm just about finished with my first song, so I'll post it as soon as I can
sayenex
Electribe Newbie

Postby Borg on Tue May 27, 2008 12:34 pm

Can't wait to hear it!
You'll find me at YouTube, Virb and Facebook
Gear - Korg ESX-1, Mini KP, Tapco Mix.60, MXL 990
Borg
Knob Abuser

Postby Sven Der on Wed May 28, 2008 6:04 am

Well im everything but experienced, but i usedthe song mode for 2 different things:

1. When i recorded some songs for fun with somne friends, we wanted some synth parts. After creating a song with the desired synths, we only had to connect it to the pc and press record- pretty relaxing after recording guitars... :D

2. I use the ESX for my band, but as i play the guitar, i cant be bothered standing at the ESX whenever we need it. So, i programmed Songs again. If a part with synth comes up, one of our singers simply has to push the "play" button, they dont need to understand the ESX at all, I even gave the songs accurate titles so they can barely make any flaws :D .

Example: In one song, we have a synth pattern, which is played 4 times. With the song mode, our singers dont have to bother about turning the ESX off in the right moment, they only have to hit the "play" button in the right moment.

It would be even easier if we had a midi-footswitch or something, but it works pretty well this way.
Sven Der
Electribe Newbie

PreviousNext

Return to Technical Talk