electribe and gnu/linux

Ask and discuss about how to work with electribes. Share your discoveries and ideas.

Moderator: Aciphecs

electribe and gnu/linux

Postby kpanic on Fri May 16, 2008 11:29 am

hi, I'm in the process of buying an electribe (deciding which to buy yet) but I'm wondering if it's possible to transfer the samples, in the case of esx, from gnu/linux to the drum machine..

thanks
kpanic
Electribe Newbie

Re: electribe and gnu/linux

Postby StellarJay[aka Ruso] on Fri May 16, 2008 12:06 pm

hmm good question. Most likely, yes actually. First thing's first, you will need to find a card reader that is linux compatible that will read either xd or smart media cards. Then you will need to buy a smart media card or xd->smart media adapter. The card must be 128 mb or LESS. Now once you got those, you can transfer samples but there's another important step which should by all means work.

You can get the windows program called esx wave organizer to run under wine. This will allow you to manage, convert, and edit sample parameters for the esx sample banks. It doesn't use any special functions so i'm almost positive it would work if you know how to use wine. I used to run a linux machine but it was so long ago I don't remember how to use wine so you're on your own on this part.
StellarJay[aka Ruso]
Site Admin

Postby kpanic on Fri May 16, 2008 12:20 pm

@ruso: thanks! valuable information, hope that wine (almost 1.0) runs that program, we'll see

anyway, I think I'm going the next month for an esx1

it will be fun for sure, I'm certain :)
kpanic
Electribe Newbie

Postby Borg on Fri May 16, 2008 7:52 pm

Fun? Damn right! I've always loved sampling and step sequencing, and when I FINALLY got the ESX-1 a dream had come true. You will not regret that purchase. ;)
You'll find me at YouTube, Virb and Facebook
Gear - Korg ESX-1, Mini KP, Tapco Mix.60, MXL 990
Borg
Knob Abuser

Postby adamitron on Fri May 23, 2008 7:34 am

mmm... all hail the esx. i'm glad this popped up cause i am about to get a computer of my own again and was thinking of linuxing it up, but i was more looking for a DAW program for it. but hearing that the organizer should work on wine, that makes the adam even happier.
adamitron
Knob Fiddler

Postby kpanic on Fri May 23, 2008 7:40 am

@admitron: try http://www.ardour.org for the audio part and rosegarden or muse for midi
kpanic
Electribe Newbie

Postby StellarJay[aka Ruso] on Fri May 23, 2008 9:16 am

I will bet ya you can get ableton live to run under linux... I'm sure not in asio mode tho so it wouldn't be great if it did run... I also bet it'd be laggy. But hey, you can run live as a pure midi sequencer too :)

plus you could always run a windows virtual machine under linux that runs windows.

For a while, when vista first came out(my lap top came with it with no backwards support to run xp) Ableton was too buggy to run under vista. So what I did was run vmware virtual machine with xp on it...
StellarJay[aka Ruso]
Site Admin

Return to Technical Talk