ESX-1 stealing MIDI on other channels

Ask and discuss about how to work with electribes. Share your discoveries and ideas.

Moderator: Aciphecs

ESX-1 stealing MIDI on other channels

Postby sharevari on Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:38 pm

I'm trying to set up a MIDI chain with a keyboard going into the ESX-1 and then the MIDI out of the ESX going into my computer. Controlling the ESX from the keyboard works and controlling software from the ESX works.

But I can't get MIDI from the keyboard to pass through the ESX and into the computer. I am setting the keyboard to use a different MIDI channel than what the three parts in the ESX use. If I swap the cable to the MIDI Thru socket, the keyboard data gets through.

But I was under the impression that the ESX should be passing on any data on channels it's not set to receive?
sharevari
Electribe Newbie

Re: ESX-1 stealing MIDI on other channels

Postby StellarJay[aka Ruso] on Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:25 pm

gotta flip it around, plug keyboard into the computer that way you can pass it back into the electribe. If you need the electribe to go to computer too get another midi interface (if you pay me for shipping I'll send you a usb midi cable for free I got two laying around)
StellarJay[aka Ruso]
Site Admin

Re: ESX-1 stealing MIDI on other channels

Postby sharevari on Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:37 pm

Ah OK. I guess I've just misunderstood the MIDI specification then.

Yes, the whole crux is that I'd like the ESX to be able to control Ableton as well as the keyboard. It certainly seems like I can't do this without an additional MIDI interface then. :(

Thanks for the offer but I'm in the UK so might as well get one cheap off eBay...
sharevari
Electribe Newbie

Return to Technical Talk