How do you feel about a hardware sequencer.

Ask and discuss about how to work with electribes. Share your discoveries and ideas.

Moderator: Aciphecs

Re: How do you feel about a hardware sequencer.

Postby StellarJay[aka Ruso] on Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:18 am

Sorry guys I know this is a big topic.. but I need some input on this project....

How would you arrange samples for it....

I am considering doing a very thorough folder tree that will help organize the samples...

For example:

Drum
Kick, Snare, Hat, Misc

Synth
Cyclic, OneShot

Loop
Drum, Synth, Vocal

OneShot
Vocal, SFX, Misc

What would your perfect Sample folder look like?
StellarJay[aka Ruso]
Site Admin

Postby hseiken on Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:35 am

Code: Select all
PERCUSSION
  ACCOUSTIC
     KICK
     SNARE
     HAT
     RIMS
     CYMBOLS
     FX
     TOMS
     TABLAS/BONGOS/ETC
     MISC
  ELECTRONIC
     KICK
     SNARE
     HAT
     RIMS
     CYMBOLS
     FX
     TOMS
     MISC
  LOOPS
     ELECTRONIC
     ACCOUSTIC

KEYS
  RHODES
  ACCOUSTIC
  SYNTHS
    PADS
    MELODY
    BASS
    NASTY/DISTORTION
    FX
    ARPS
    CLASSIC
  OTHER

ETC. ETC.

Best thing for this is to cross reference each sample to different catagories since not everything can be pidgeonhole'd into one catagory...for instance...someone can look up just 'kicks' which would list both electronic AND accoustic kicks however you can narrow it down to electronic or accoustic kicks only. Cross referencing is, I think, the best solution. Each sample just has several catagories it fits into...

Another example, a c64 lead sound...you can use it as bass as well, it's a synth and it's harsh and nasty so you could search for it via synth, via nasty synth, via bass, via nasty bass, nasty bass synth, etc. Any combination of keywords associated with it would index it to the search.
GEAR: ESX, Micron, KP3, Kaossilator, ER-1mk2, Xenyx 801, VS880, US-122
hseiken

Postby StellarJay[aka Ruso] on Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:59 pm

Hmm... that's a very good point.....

So I've been starting work on the one shot sampler.... right now I'm playing it with a keyboard which changes the pitch but this particular one is gonna be for drum type sampling... so the pitch will be changed by a knob rather then the note value...

Anyways here's a short little fun demo.. (Careful there are huge volume spikes, sorry!!!)

So far it has a very basic sample player which i'm gonna have to redo a bit... but it also has a half working over drive and a very nice reverb (mmmm I love synthesis tool kit)

But yes careful HUGE volume fluctuations... I'm trying to come up with a way to adjust the volume automatically when the overdrive is turned up, because it causes that huge spike
Attachments
To view the player you must have Javascript turned on and have Flash Player 9 or better installed.

DrumSamper.mp3 [ 1.38 MiB | Viewed 2409 times ]

StellarJay[aka Ruso]
Site Admin

Postby StellarJay[aka Ruso] on Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:49 pm

Wow... got a lot done on this today... I added code to control sample start, transposition, and some other critical stuff....

I also made the host program (GrooveOS) be able to load and trigger the drum sampler to load a sample....

What I am trying to decide is weather to have ONE instrument have say 8 of these within it... or to have 8 separate drum samplers each one only running a single sample...

I'm thinking of making it so each one runs ONE sample and there are many instances... and although that gives more potential to me making mistakes and causing memory leaks. It will drop CPU load and also allow me to implement a way to select a different type of drum generation... for example a simple drum synth so you can do analogue drum synthesis... we shall see...

Also I figured out a bunch more stuff about how vst works... and got some more code down to further enable me to easily manage all the stuff I plan to be running and interacting.... It's a ton of work and I'm just scratching the surface... but I'm still getting a ton done.

Oh I think I met my match..... I can't figure out how to make a f-ucking accurate midi clock :yawn: and it's like the most simple part of this project...

Anyways... peace!

[edit]
I just realized how convenient it will be to fix bugs and release updates.... :-D
No flashing the machine!
[/edit]
StellarJay[aka Ruso]
Site Admin

Postby EdwardFist on Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:58 pm

If you're looking for a job and don't mind moving to Gothenburg they could use you at Elektron:

http://www.elektron.se
EdwardFist
Electribe Newbie

Postby StellarJay[aka Ruso] on Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:31 pm

Sounds good to me... unfortunately I am established here, in the US... and I have pets and I would never let my bird go or make him go through quarantine for six months....

Anyways thanks for the idea though ;)
StellarJay[aka Ruso]
Site Admin

Postby pertiet on Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:29 am

Hi Ruso,

I am not sure if I understand what you are going to make: a real hardware sampler or 'only' software??
Anyway, what is the reason?

Don't get me wrong - this is not critic but just to understand what you are planing and why.
See me / Hear me:

http://www.pertiet.de
http://myspace.com/henningpertiet
http://myspace.com/teitreph

My Equipment:
Korg EMX-1
Korg ESX-1
Microkorg
Korg Kaoss Pad 3
Korg SP-200
Korg Microsampler
Akai MPC 1000
Zoom HD-16
Zoom H2
Samick Grandpiano
13 guitars (Fenders, Gibsons, Reverend,...)
Ace Tone Rhythm Ace FR-1
pertiet
Electribe Newbie

Postby StellarJay[aka Ruso] on Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:58 am

What I am going for is an advanced groove box software that will run on a hardware groove box that is based on a small embedded computer that will run a VERY stripped down version of windows xp embedded...

The way I'm doing it right now is I have the core program which is the main oprating system for the groove box... What I decided to do is to make it also a VST host, so all my instruments will be technically VST's (although you won't be able to use them in other sequencer because they are so specifically designed for this project)...

Obviously this is a long term project..... also I was originally going to design the hardware box first... but since these days small factor mother boards are coming out left and right, and windows is taking huge leaps... I decided to hold off on the hardware specific portion until I have a working software....

I am also contaminating of the possibility of making this a software only groove box where you can use specific types of controllers to work with it (for example the korg microKONTROL or Kontrol 49 would provide a perfect platform for a groovebox)... this is primarily if I hit a snag with the hardware portion.
StellarJay[aka Ruso]
Site Admin

Postby StellarJay[aka Ruso] on Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:01 am

By the way originally this was going to be a midi sequencer only.... but I realized that by making it a simple vst host and using the synthesis tool kit, I could write a complete groove box with the sequencer still being the most complicated and time consuming part... so it is worth it to attempt this....

Now don't get confused. This project is a long shot. Also if I do finish this, it will by no means be sold at guitar center or anything like that. If ever finish it the most I expect is a very limited run with a great support base... if that kicks off I'll consider going further with it.
StellarJay[aka Ruso]
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Technical Talk