newb needing some questions answered.

Ask and discuss about how to work with electribes. Share your discoveries and ideas.

Moderator: Aciphecs

newb needing some questions answered.

Postby xbubbax on Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:18 am

hi all.
i was wondering about this electribe emx1 I picked up.
i get how to make a part and put your parts together to make a whole part using synth and drum banks.

BUT....

can i use the audio in to use my kaossilator as a sample in the synth bank.
i see on the synth ocollator, at 6 oclock there is audio in + comb <---what is this and can my kaossilator be played into this synth bank?

also im new to MIDI.
i want to be able to use my midi keyboard with the electribe to be able to take in sounds and make leads if i wanted to using my keyboard.

also can someone show / tell me what midi with the electribe can really do?

thanks guys. :thumbs:
xbubbax
Electribe Newbie

Re: newb needing some questions answered.

Postby Argus on Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:20 am

hey,
first of all, congrats on your EMX and welcome.

strictly speaking, you can't sample anything with the EMX - that's what the ESX is there for. you can, however, use the EMX's audio in part to apply effects, filters and modulation to your audio input, so you still have quite a few options of what to do with your Kaossilator.
however, you won't be able to record or sequence this. everything coming into the EMX will have to be live unless it's pre-recorded somewhere else (like on your computer or a recording device).

concerning your second question, using a MIDI keyboard with the EMX is a great idea. in fact, I would barely use it without one. there are some more advanced MIDI mapping functions that you best check out in the manual, but basically, at least the keyboard parts should be plug-and-play.

if you want to go more advanced, you can also get a more complex MIDI controller with rotaries and pads for extra control, but IMHO, a simple keyboard will do just fine.

good luck, and enjoy!
Argus
Electribe Newbie

Postby StellarJay[aka Ruso] on Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:19 am

I highly recommend investing in a korg microKONTROL or KONTROL49. They are the most versitile controller I've ran into so far in midi world. They even have what's called "scenes"... think of them as emx parts(used as a controller) where when you swap a scene, ALL the control numbers/types on the whole keyboard change. Which means you can have 12x 8 encoders, 12x 8 sliders... 12x joystick(great for filter).... 12x 16 pads which can be anything from buttons to midi notes. Also 12x 8 screens.

Now if you want to get real advanced it has great support for sysx, with some hard midi knowledge and either programming skills or for instance synthmaker skills, you can make step sequencers or even complete groove boxes with it.

The only difference is a fullsized 49 key keyboard or small 49 key keyboard and the joystick control... personally I've had both, I prefer the microKONTROL.
StellarJay[aka Ruso]
Site Admin

Postby xbubbax on Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:43 am

everything coming into the EMX will have to be live unless it's pre-recorded somewhere else (like on your computer or a recording device).

so the ESX is the one that can record live into it....ok

i see that fx 1 2 3 cannot be changed for each part once the fx send is pushed... correct

and when playing with the elctribe live....does anyone use pattern set to set the patterns to the sequence numbers....

i.e. a01 is part 1
b63 is part 2 and so on being able to access diffrent parts that you can play live for moving to the next groove.....can this be done.....i hope im explaining this well enough.

also i have the midair 37 wireless. has 8 knobs and 9 sliders.....but again im new to this midi thing.....i want to be able to record what i have on the electribe to FL but also be able to have the electribe synch up with FL so whn i start my live session any other samples i loaded in FL will synch up so when i push stop on the electribe, FL will stop also

im guessing im gonna need an audio interface.... anyone? :hug:

thanks again guys.
xbubbax
Electribe Newbie

Postby Stilo on Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:09 am

Ruso wrote:I highly recommend investing in a korg microKONTROL or KONTROL49. They are the most versitile controller I've ran into so far in midi world. They even have what's called "scenes"...

Don't other controllers have that as well? Mappings you can save and load up again?

Those two are quite expensive, are they really worth that money?
Stilo
Electribe Newbie

Postby StellarJay[aka Ruso] on Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:02 pm

this is instant... it's switched kind of like the same way like you switch parts on the electribe... I'm not taLking about some stupid librarian software... this is soemthing literally instant. Also the microKONTROl is not that expensive and it's well worth it.
StellarJay[aka Ruso]
Site Admin

Postby Stilo on Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:40 am

Ruso wrote:this is instant... it's switched kind of like the same way like you switch parts on the electribe... I'm not taLking about some stupid librarian software...

Maybe I don't understand it, but I don't think that's such a unique feature. I was looking at the Edirol PCR series for example, and they have something quite similar. And I think any other decent MIDI keyboard should have that as well.
Stilo
Electribe Newbie

Postby StellarJay[aka Ruso] on Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:48 am

that's possible but that's only a small reason of why it's useful. It's got 9 screens which can be customized and it has a super extensive sysx native mode capabilities. That's the most important aspects of what I was saying. You could literally make it so it automatically determines the names and values for say a random vst inside ableton live and displays their names on the screen.
StellarJay[aka Ruso]
Site Admin

Return to Technical Talk