..:: Tarekith ::.. The Flow Of All Things - Live PA

Post music created by the members of this community.

Moderator: Aciphecs

..:: Tarekith ::.. The Flow Of All Things - Live PA

Postby Tarekith on Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:18 am

http://tarekith.com/mp3s/Tarekith-The_F ... Things.mp3

Time - Track
00:00 - Smoke
07:29 - Wind
11:31 - Water
17:30 - Stone
22:42 - Cloud
27:58 - Time
32:45 - Energy
39:02 - Sound

(The following is a long, boring tale of how this set came to be, skip if you want. Short version: this set was done entirely on an Elektron Machinedrum and Korg EMX-1.)

The idea for this project came about at the end of 2006, when I started toying with the idea of putting together a new, hardware based live pa. I was hoping it would become the 3rd Morphing Mechanism live set I did, an ongoing series I do to chronical my live sets over the years. (the last one was called "Transitions" and is on the DJ Mixes page).

Initially the project was to use my Elektron Machinedrum paired with a Virus TI Keyboard. For whatever reason, I kept running into bugs with the combination, so I gave up on the idea of doing it all with hardware. My next idea was to use a single softsynth and software drum machine in Live to create a concept CD using the same theme. I settled on Zebra2 and Battery 3, and quickly got to work on creating an hour long piece of music divided into 8 sections. The idea was the have the whole album play more like a single performance, but with distinct sections based on my theme of things in nature that flow continuously.

Only a few weeks later I had written a massive amount of music, when suddenly Battery 3 somehow corrupted all of my Live project files. Luckily I had made some audio recordings of the work in progress shortly before this happened, so I was able to use the drum sounds from Battery directly in Live and recreate all the drum parts. Almost a year went by as I worked on the songs, and things were going very well. I hadn't really set any sort of timetable for getting everything done, so I was content taking my time and making it all work just right. Then around July of 2007, I learned that my wife and I were going to be moving to Seattle, which more or less meant the project was going to be shelved right as I was nearing completion.

The move took longer than expected for various reasons, and by the time my studio was back up and running, I was no longer really in the same headspace as when I started the project. Add to that the stresses of moving, and trying to find a new job, and I knew that I would never be able to complete the CD project as originally intended. Instead I slowly worked on finishing the tunes and releasing them one by one. So in a way the tunes I released from January to June 2008 are the original ideas I had for The Flow Of All Things, just with different names (these are on the Tracks page btw).

Fast-forward a few months and things had finally settled down for me in Seattle. I had also managed to pick up a Korg EMX-1, which seemed like a great piece of gear to pair with the Machinedrum. As I worked with both more, I began to think that perhaps it was time to revisit the Flow idea, and that I could finally do it all as a performance piece using only hardware. So I set about once again creating the 8 movements that would encompass the entire set.

By August I was more or less done with the writing phase, and I set about working on performing the set, something I had not done with hardware in more than a few years. I was finally able to record the set I thought best represented what I wanted to achieve on August 26th, 2008. Simpler and less dense than most of my studio productions, I think this live set is a good counterpoint to the type of music I normally write. I daresay more minimal than my usual tunes, though not minimal in the sense of that genre.

Recorded live in one pass, no editing, mastering or other enhancements done to the recording other than a bit of limiting to use up the empty 0's. Drum are all done on the Elektron SPS-1UW mk1, and all the synth parts were done on a Korg EMX-1. These were routed seperately into an Allen & Heath Xone62 for more filtering and EQing on the fly options, then recorded into Logic Pro 8, via a MOTU Ultralite.

Hope you enjoy.
ImageImage
Tarekith
Knob Abuser

Re: ..:: Tarekith ::.. The Flow Of All Things - Live PA

Postby StellarJay[aka Ruso] on Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:24 pm

I am very eager to listen to it when I get home, I listened to a few minutes at work and really like it so far.
StellarJay[aka Ruso]
Site Admin

Postby Yatmandu on Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:02 am

beautiful set Tarekith! you got a lot of mileage out of just two pieces of hardware. it passed my Java test with flying colors(*)

(*) I had to code some Java for a project, and your music produced the Zen-like state I need when I code! LOL :thumbs:
Yatmandu
Knob Fiddler

Postby Tarekith on Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:06 am

Thanks man :)
ImageImage
Tarekith
Knob Abuser

Postby StellarJay[aka Ruso] on Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:29 am

Oh ya I totally forgot to comment. You have some quality sounds coming out of the machines. Nice job. It's about half the speed that I work in so it's strange to adjust my ears to it after listening to drum n bass but after a while it's a nice change of pace. Keep up the great work. The only thing I can see is that the beat is like the secondary in a lot of the songs... it's a little bit too quiet. I'm not sure if that's what you mean to do but usually the beat should be the loudest element so it stands out more over bass. But then again this could be the tubes or the mp3 conversion that's causing it.
StellarJay[aka Ruso]
Site Admin

Postby greenborder on Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:46 am

Wow this must be one of the most inspiring sets I've heard since Minilogue - Animals (sorry that's hard to top :P). Nicely done, I would prefer a little smoother transitions at times but I can imagine this is not an easy tasks with just Electribes. Keep the great work up!
greenborder
Electribe Newbie

Postby Tarekith on Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:20 pm

The set is now up on Addictech:

http://www.addictech.com/store/product_ ... 162705ed40

So if you want a higher quality version, or if you find all the music guides and advice I've done helpful and want to give something back, I'd really appreciate it! Yesterday was my last day of work, jobless once again! :(
ImageImage
Tarekith
Knob Abuser

Postby zackbox on Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:38 am

I've got the FLAC version.
Awesome set Tarekith (and awesome guides also... :D )
zackbox
Electribe Newbie

Return to Electribe-Forum Music