Judo Lesson (4 minute EP)

Post music created by the members of this community.

Moderator: Aciphecs

Judo Lesson (4 minute EP)

Postby hseiken on Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:38 am

To view the player you must have Javascript turned on and have Flash Player 9 or better installed.

Hi, I just put this together over the past week. Everything musical is sequenced on the ESX, mostly using stock factory sounds resampled/edited, etc. They were one pattern and played live, recorded into SP404 where effects and vocals were applied.

Enjoy.

If anyone wants any technical details about how the 'looseness' and swing was made, I'd be happy to answer questions.
GEAR: ESX, Micron, KP3, Kaossilator, ER-1mk2, Xenyx 801, VS880, US-122
hseiken

Re: Judo Lesson (4 minute EP)

Postby Blue Monster 65 on Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:12 pm

Yep - give us the details on what you did!
Blue Monster 65
EF Special Task Force

Postby hseiken on Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:54 pm

Cool, glad someone's interested! I love talking music techniques!

Okay, so the track is actually 4 tunes. I'll go over what I did with each one to achieve looseness and still have it mostly 'rhythmic'.

1.) The kick, snare and hat were resampled together. The hat was sequenced, the kick and the snare were played live on the pads during resampling along with the hat. That sample was then played on a pattern that was .2 bpm faster. On the new pattern, I added the extra percussions such as the snap and the tamborine. Everything else was sequenced into the pattern. During the live recording, I'd use the LEVEL knob to 'mute out' the drum resample as I saw fit.

2.) I loaded up slices of onboard sliced beats, added some effects, and what not then resampled a blank pattern while finger drumming a 2 bar loop. I edited the start/end to make sure the drums were loop and keeping decent rhythm. Then I placed the sample on a one shot and adjusted the bpm till it appeared to match. On the tune, while recording the live stuff, I'd switch out where the sample was triggered on 1 and 9 steps. This was done while the pattern was playing. The actual music you hear was sampled from a fusion record by The Weather Report.

3.) This was done similarly to the first track and 2nd track together. I finger drummed while using 'resample' on a blank pattern a 1 measure loop. I found the closest matching tempo with the sample triggered on step one then sequenced everything else on the track. Of special note, there's 2 bass notes. The first note is sampled with the drums, the second not is sequenced so it isn't perfect sounding. The tamborine and clap and bongos were sequenced were added in the sequence. Only the snare, hat, kick and bass note were part of the sample that was finger drummed.

4.) This one's hard to explain! Okay, so I started with a faster tempo than I wanted to end up with. I sequenced a hat that had this shuffle. Tah tutah tutah tutah. You can hear the hat. It's sequenced. So once I had that going for long enough (it didn't loop right...if I remember, the tempo was 120 bpm and I had hats that would trigger, wait 3 steps, triger, wait one step, then repeat...so it's like x...x.x...x.x...x.x...x.x... etc.), i added a clap to where the snare hits should be. THEN I resampled me finger drumming on top of it. During the tune, I used LEVEL knob to 'mute out' the drums, but there were also several other drums that were sequenced to the tempo it ended up being. The music, as well, was sequenced. No swing was used in any of these tracks except the 3rd one.

I'll probably make a short video showing what I mean at some point, create a couple of examples of getting 'humanized swing' feel out of a track. There's other methods too. One of them involves resample something with blank space in front of it and by increasing or decreasing the blank space in front of the sample using the 'START' knob, on each sample that has it, you can create some 'humanized swing stuff'.

I hope you understand my gibberish! If you're confused, let me know, and I'll try to clarify. I'll try to make a video of some of this stuff soon. :)
GEAR: ESX, Micron, KP3, Kaossilator, ER-1mk2, Xenyx 801, VS880, US-122
hseiken

Postby Dr Feelgood on Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:04 pm

Brilliant work from beginning to end. I especially liked the beat that begins at 2:21 - crazy cool layering/sound selection on that one.
Korg ESX-1
Korg EMX-1
Korg ES-1
Microkorg
Korg Microstation
Akai MPC-2000XL
Boss BR-532

https://soundcloud.com/feelgood79
https://soundcloud.com/holographic-dreams-1
Dr Feelgood
Master Tribe Wizard

Postby Blue Monster 65 on Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:57 am

Pretty cool technique, Hseiken - thanks for sharing your ideas!
Blue Monster 65
EF Special Task Force

Postby phloxrocks on Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:48 pm

o yea i like this musics again as always. thank for all the technical explanations. i havent ben able to make music lately, so its fun to read how other people create. the judo sample is super funny to me. that guy really likes judo. in a sort of late 60's kungfu way. nice beats.
phloxrocks
Knob Abuser

Return to Electribe-Forum Music