Re: Transpose function

Read and write articles, faq's, tips/tricks, tutorials and other forms of helpful information about Electribes.

Moderator: Aciphecs

Postby Unfolding Machines on Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:58 am

Transposing can be a little awkward if you don't get pedantic about tunings...

If you're playing one shots or loops (synth style) on the ESX's keyboard part make sure you know what scale you're using & then transpose both parts simultaneously. This means chord changes will always stay in tune (if you're not playing tonal notes on the drum parts). If you only want to transpose one part of the sequence at a time try transposing to notes from the same scale you're playing. This will mean everything sounds locked in. You'll almost always do right by using 5ths or the correct 3rd (natural for major, flattened for minor).

Hope that helps, couldn't tell by your question if you know much music theory or not...
Unfolding Machines
Knob Fiddler

Postby Aciphecs on Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:27 am

Thanks! I am not really good with music theory, but I do understand the use of 5ths. Do you have any experience with using the transpose in a live situation?

I might need to just spend some more time fiddling with this function :D
Aciphecs
EF Special Task Force

Postby StellarJay[aka Ruso] on Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:09 pm

I manifested your question, into an article by removing your original post and rewording the first couple words in the answer :)
rockin

Was that unethical of me? :-D
:gunz:

I think this new flow of the conversation turned out rather natural :)
StellarJay[aka Ruso]
Site Admin

Postby Unfolding Machines on Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:40 am

Ruso wrote:I manifested your question, into an article by removing your original post and rewording the first couple words in the answer :)
rockin

Was that unethical of me? :-D
:gunz:

I think this new flow of the conversation turned out rather natural :)

Ha! No worries, I got a little weirded out wondering if this forum had some new weirdo response function. If you didn't mention that I'd be watching my shadow for days to come!

Aciphecs wrote:Thanks! I am not really good with music theory, but I do understand the use of 5ths. Do you have any experience with using the transpose in a live situation?

I might need to just spend some more time fiddling with this function :D

Haven't used the transpose outside of jamming, it didn't take off for me because I was simply jog wheeling in the new root notes & doing that one busy synth lines. Plus the way I write my songs is fairly rigid & doesn't leave too much room for messing around, so this is a function not used much on my ESX... Pity the transpose happens live rather than kick in at the start of the next bar, that'd make it far easier & more effective to use.

If you use electribes in the same manner as me, it may be best to use it with the mute function, you know- mute, transpose, unmute. May take a bit of practice doing quickly to make sure you dial in the right root note though.

Its a good question- thanks for making me have another look at this function!
Unfolding Machines
Knob Fiddler

Postby Aciphecs on Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:07 am

Unfolding Machines wrote:Haven't used the transpose outside of jamming, it didn't take off for me because I was simply jog wheeling in the new root notes & doing that one busy synth lines. Plus the way I write my songs is fairly rigid & doesn't leave too much room for messing around, so this is a function not used much on my ESX... Pity the transpose happens live rather than kick in at the start of the next bar, that'd make it far easier & more effective to use.

If you use electribes in the same manner as me, it may be best to use it with the mute function, you know- mute, transpose, unmute. May take a bit of practice doing quickly to make sure you dial in the right root note though.

Its a good question- thanks for making me have another look at this function!

Do you know that you can transpose by pressing the note on the step keys, instead of using the *dodgy* jog wheel? It eliminates that slow pitch rise/fall, because it changes the key as soon as the note is pressed :D

I like your mute idea too, thanks!
Aciphecs
EF Special Task Force

Postby StellarJay[aka Ruso] on Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:33 am

Yes, using transpose that way is actually really useful live.
StellarJay[aka Ruso]
Site Admin

Postby Unfolding Machines on Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:06 am

Aciphecs wrote:Do you know that you can transpose by pressing the note on the step keys, instead of using the *dodgy* jog wheel? It eliminates that slow pitch rise/fall, because it changes the key as soon as the note is pressed :D

I like your mute idea too, thanks!

Ah, the step keys! They totally skipped my mind... That's way more effective than my muting, thanks!
Unfolding Machines
Knob Fiddler

Postby hyperkun on Wed May 20, 2015 11:47 am

Hello everyone, I hope you can help me:

How do I write the active transpose to the pattern?

In the Ea-1 i can move data and press transpose, and it will transpose all my notes. Is this even possible on the ESX?? :? :cry:
hyperkun
Electribe Newbie

Return to Articles And Tutorials