EMX-1 and Kaossilator PRO

Read and write articles, faq's, tips/tricks, tutorials and other forms of helpful information about Electribes.

Moderator: Aciphecs

EMX-1 and Kaossilator PRO

Postby andresaveiro on Tue May 10, 2011 11:12 am

Hello fellow electribists (lol)!!!

I've had my emx-1 for a while, & I decided I need to go a step further, so I got a Koassilator Pro. The reason I'm writing this here, is because I see tons of people have the same setup, and it would be really helpful for people like me (who has no idea on how to connect them together, and squeeze all their potential) to see what the best setups are, and how to take advantage of the MIDI and other functionalities.... All answers are appreciated and applied!!!

Thanks

Aveiro
andresaveiro
Electribe Newbie

Re: EMX-1 and Kaossilator PRO

Postby StellarJay[aka Ruso] on Thu May 12, 2011 12:21 pm

The answer is.... years of experience will tell you what get you need.... not dropping nearly a grand (if you buy them new) on gear you might or might not be suited for in the end.

It doesn't matter how much nice gear you get/how you can connect it/what is possible with the combination unless the fundamental music skill is inside you. Nice gear/awesome sounds will not get you anywhere until you have the know how to tame it.

What will get you the best possible sound is the fundamental understanding of things like synthesis in a very intuitive way.... for example... knowing what cross modulating two sine waves will do to them before it happens... and being able to predict what that next knob turn will do. Or... for example knowing that this sample that is currently playing at normal tempo has a lot more potential to be played one octave higher.... with a shorter decay... :-/

Get my drift?... the above two concepts have nothing to do with any specific piece of music gear... but the concepts can be applied to almost any piece of music gear (or software).... therefore it's not the gear... it's the operator.

:spin:

There is nothing wrong with the fact that you can afford to get the gear to simply experiment with what is possible... I would just recommend that sticking to one piece of gear and learning every single feature will be more productive because that knowledge can be applied to all music gear in a universal way... rather then trying to connect multiple foreign domains together with unknown concepts.
StellarJay[aka Ruso]
Site Admin

Postby zululord on Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:18 pm

You tell him, Ruso!

The nerve of some people; buying new gear and then not waiting until after years of experimentation before asking a question. Lazy sod!

;)
zululord
Electribe Newbie

Postby Naynap81086 on Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:35 am

I don't have a Kaossilator but I imagine the MIDI connection should be pretty simple. You'd most likely want the EMX to be the "master" and the Kaoss to be the "slave", meaning only that the EMX will be calling the shots about tempo, on/off commands, and any other data that you choose to send to the Kaoss. Just hook up the "MIDI Out" on the EMX to the "MIDI In" on the Kaoss.

Being that they are both Korg products, I imagine they will work pretty well together without you having to get deep into MIDI command settings, but if for some reason the Kaoss isn't responding to things you do on the EMX, the manuals to both machines will have the MIDI channels and their functions listed.

As far as "getting the most out of the two together", that's entirely up to you. Is there a sampling function on the Kaoss? Try running the EMX into it and sampling live, cutting tracks up and rearranging them that way. What about running the output of the Kaoss back into the EMX and using an "Audio In" synth part to really demolish things in a good way? Get all the obvious tricks out of your system and try to use both the EMX and the Kaoss "incorrectly", you'll probably come up with some neat, very personal things.
Naynap81086
Electribe Newbie

Postby JockeyChan on Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:25 pm

The Kaoss pro is a waste of your time if you want to use it with your emx
Tones are off from patterns you've already made on your emx
& there's no way to get in there & make the magic sync in perfect time

You'll always have to tap the pad
& if you want to load on the fly
Well , its the slowest i've ever seen

Windows 98?

Try the Esx