Gating or Ducking

Read and write articles, faq's, tips/tricks, tutorials and other forms of helpful information about Electribes.

Moderator: Aciphecs

Gating or Ducking

Postby Aakburns on Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:34 am

I wanted to just throw this topic out there. The technique of ducking or gating a great function to have. It can really change the feel and groove of your track.

The way we can make this happen on the Electribe is to use the compressor as you would anywhere else. Normally 'side change' compression is what this is called. In the case of the Electribe, it doesn't say this anywhere.

Here is the easy way. Make an effect be the compressor. Now set the effect with the attack at zero and the sense at max(127). Route the kick drum to this effect. Now the parts you want to duck route to this same effect. The control of what is ducked is actually based on your part volume. If used correctly you'll know it.

Here is a track I did with it. Without that kick drum ducking the parts it would just sound like straight notes almost and have no flavor.

http://arikburns.com/music/electribe/Aakburns%20-%20Another%20Night%20(RESPECT%20for%20Benny%20Benassi).mp3

Enjoy.
Aakburns
Electribe Newbie

Re: Gating or Ducking

Postby Unfolding Machines on Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:23 am

Ah! Thanks! This is such a straightforward technique, but so easy to overlook... Do you use the modulation section as an LFO on your synth parts as well as the ducking compressor?

Thanks for the demo too!
Unfolding Machines
Knob Fiddler

Re: Gating or Ducking

Postby TheBeatfarmer805 on Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:13 am

I used the LFO for amp ducking on my EMX for like every other song (130 electro). It never works right when the pattern first kicks in. I usually have to turn the depth off and back on at a specific time in the beat to get it to duck properly. The weird thing is I have to turn the depth to the right.

I just got my ESX and the amp LFO works as it should. Depth to the left and it ducks on-time every time. I guess the EMX is just buggy. I'm going to try the compressor trick on my next track.
I am a tribesman
TheBeatfarmer805
EF Special Task Force

Return to Articles And Tutorials