Sampling Softwares + EMX1

Read and write articles, faq's, tips/tricks, tutorials and other forms of helpful information about Electribes.

Moderator: Aciphecs

Sampling Softwares + EMX1

Postby astolarz on Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:36 am

I was thinking about incorporating samples into my live performance.

Unfortunately, I had to sell my Kaosillator Pro to buy the electribe EMX1 :X
I could see within an hour of using the EMX where a KPP would be an excellent complement to it, however, it is gone..

I have a Midi keyboard (Akai) that I have laying around for when I use my DAW, and my old Acer Aspire netbook(1ghz,1.5 gb ram) to use with clip sampling. Anyone have experience triggering samples from a pc in realtime using a Midi Keyboard? I know about Ableton and other Midi controlled softwares, but I'd like to know what you guys use.

Also, anyone have any thoughts on a MicroSAMPLER by Korg? It intrigues me..

Thanks!
ASTOLARZ
[b]ELECTRIBE EMX1-SONY ACID - AKAI MPK
astolarz
Electribe Newbie

Re: Sampling Softwares + EMX1

Postby sauce on Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:46 am

astolarz wrote:Also, anyone have any thoughts on a MicroSAMPLER by Korg?

Hi. I found the MicroSampler a HUGE disappointment. For one, there is no synth engine inside for the effective mangling of samples.
http://SnowMetal.org for music, tutorials, news, sample-packs and tutorials.
sauce
Knob Fiddler

Postby Unfolding Machines on Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:56 pm

astolarz wrote:Anyone have experience triggering samples from a pc in realtime using a Midi Keyboard? I know about Ableton and other Midi controlled softwares, but I'd like to know what you guys use.

Been using the Korg Nanopad 2 & Nanokontrol 2 with Reason lately. I use them mainly for triggering samples/clips & playing with FX, then resampling the performance to hardware on the spot. The nanos work perfectly, with a little bit of tweaking in Reason there's pretty much no latency to them & they're pretty flexible.

When I bought the nanos it was them or an Akai MPD. The Korgs were cheaper & do more or less the same thing as the Akai (its only luxury features like endless dials that are missing). Both felt great to use, so it was came down to thrift.

If you're using Ableton (or Cubase, Logic etc) these days it seems like most midi controllers will come with preset patches to lock right into Ableton so once you've got the drivers in place there's no timewasting assigning midi values etc. Don't worry about midi controllers eating your CPU space either- this format's over 25 years old now.

Cheers!
Unfolding Machines
Knob Fiddler

Postby astolarz on Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:38 am

UPDATE:
I picked up an AKAI MPK 25 which I run in between my Electribe and my laptop with Ableton live via midi-- and then both devices out to a mixer.

I generally use the computer audio for beats and percussion and the Electribe as a sound module, with the occasional percussion bank for accenting and timekeeping.
ASTOLARZ
[b]ELECTRIBE EMX1-SONY ACID - AKAI MPK
astolarz
Electribe Newbie

Return to Articles And Tutorials