Getting loops onto the esx

Read and write articles, faq's, tips/tricks, tutorials and other forms of helpful information about Electribes.

Moderator: Aciphecs

Getting loops onto the esx

Postby markfrancombe on Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:29 pm

Possibly a newb question here...
So what is the preferred way of getting loops onto the ESX? I just got a card, and was expecting I could just stick the card into the laptop and drag on a bunch of loops and then stick the card in the ESX and ..."Bobs yer Uncle" (as we say in England).

But no..

And no editor? So is everyone literally SAMPLING new loops on? Cos I have hundreds!!!

Mark
markfrancombe
Electribe Newbie

Re: Getting loops onto the esx

Postby Unfolding Machines on Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:09 am

Yeah, that's a nood question. No problem though, everyone's gotta start somewhere.

The best way of using the memory card with the ESX & computer is via a USB card reader. From there its pretty easy- just drag & drop (but don't set up sub-folders in the card, the ESX won't recognise them).

Then when it comes to an editor, there's a really good & free one called the ESX Wave Editor, get it here.
Unfolding Machines
Knob Fiddler

Postby markfrancombe on Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:47 am

Thanks for the reply,
There are PLENTY more NooB questions for you guys, I hope you'all are friendly!! I think Ill put them in another thread...!!!

I HAVE a card reader built into my mac, but when I stick the card in, it shows up and I can see its contents, but its set as read only, and I cant dump anything onto it...

So second question has gotta be, Is the disk ok... IN the manual it SPECIFIES, a Smart Media Card (whatever that is, isnt it more normal to call them SD cards?) its says a range of 4 to 128 mg.
And says NEVER use any other kind of cards...

Well I just happened to have a "gulp" 32 gigabyte hanging around, so I stuffed it in, and it worked... at least to format and save things onto it...
DO you think THAT might be the problem?

Thanks for the url to the wave editor thx..Its PC.. no good Im afraid.. need a mac...
M
markfrancombe
Electribe Newbie

Postby djsoto on Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:52 pm

another noob ? I just bought the ESX1 SD, been waiting for years as I am traveling, I have an MPC 500, and my ? is about sample format, will it accept 24 Bit samples, I can't seem to find any info about this, though the manual does say 8-16 bit, I have lots of libraries and was hoping to transfer some of them to an SD card that I formatted for the ESX, when I do, and try to load, it comes up as Error, what should I do? Thanks in advance
djsoto
Electribe Newbie

Postby beirney82 on Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:59 am

markfrancombe wrote:Thanks for the reply,
There are PLENTY more NooB questions for you guys, I hope you'all are friendly!! I think Ill put them in another thread...!!!

I HAVE a card reader built into my mac, but when I stick the card in, it shows up and I can see its contents, but its set as read only, and I cant dump anything onto it...

So second question has gotta be, Is the disk ok... IN the manual it SPECIFIES, a Smart Media Card (whatever that is, isnt it more normal to call them SD cards?) its says a range of 4 to 128 mg.
And says NEVER use any other kind of cards...

Well I just happened to have a "gulp" 32 gigabyte hanging around, so I stuffed it in, and it worked... at least to format and save things onto it...
DO you think THAT might be the problem?

Thanks for the url to the wave editor thx..Its PC.. no good Im afraid.. need a mac...
M

By the sounds of it you have the older esx which takes smart media cards http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-SmartMe ... 357&sr=1-2
An SD card won't work although i believe you can get smart card to SD adaptors. Not sure if you're still limited to 128mg though. I hope this helps
Don't drink from the mainstream!
beirney82
Electribe Newbie

Postby beirney82 on Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:01 am

djsoto wrote:another noob ? I just bought the ESX1 SD, been waiting for years as I am traveling, I have an MPC 500, and my ? is about sample format, will it accept 24 Bit samples, I can't seem to find any info about this, though the manual does say 8-16 bit, I have lots of libraries and was hoping to transfer some of them to an SD card that I formatted for the ESX, when I do, and try to load, it comes up as Error, what should I do? Thanks in advance

Yeah it only accepts 16 bit unfortunately. All is not lost though. Download Audacity and you can convert all your files to 16bit.
Don't drink from the mainstream!
beirney82
Electribe Newbie

Return to Articles And Tutorials