Grimey Oldschool Techstep Basslines on ESX

Read and write articles, faq's, tips/tricks, tutorials and other forms of helpful information about Electribes.

Moderator: Aciphecs

Grimey Oldschool Techstep Basslines on ESX

Postby hseiken on Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:21 pm

Okay, so sampling is fun, but being able to sample synths means you're kinda stuck with the options available to you on the face of the unit...but maybe not.

I created a thick, oldskool grimey bassline like '98 style Tech Itch which keeps the bass while I'm able to mess around with the filtering of the top end and the whole thing was done inside of the ESX. Here's the bassline sample with me playing with the filtering. Notice that the subbass is always strong:

To view the player you must have Javascript turned on and have Flash Player 9 or better installed.

So I'll go through the steps of what I did and how I ended up with what I have...

First, this is all done using the factory sample set. What you hear is heavily edited RingBass (sample 150). Normally, this is good to start with for Reese style bass, but obviously we're going in a different direction.

First, I loaded it up into a keyboard part. I made some LFO settings to affect the cutoff so it wobbles fairly slowly. I resampled this as a single note.

Next, I loaded up that sample back into the keyboard part and used BP+ and EQ to brighten it up a tad and make the bass deeper on it. I resampled a single note.

Then, I loaded it back up into a keyboard part and used it for quite a while with some drums going, playing around with basslines I liked. I ended up with the creepy notes you hear in the mp3. Once I was satisfied with the playing of the bassline, I used LPF on it and cancelled out anything that didn't sound like a sinewave. This is basically turning the cutoff knob (no resonance) all the way left, then slowly turning it right until it sounds pretty much like a sine wave doing it's thing. I resampled the entire 8 measures of the pattern with this setting. I trimmed up the sample then set it's stretch to the maximum which is 128.

Next I went back into the pattern and used HPF to eliminate any deeper bass from the same bassline, then resampled the entire 8 bars again. I made the same adjustments, trimming it up and setting the stretch steps.

Next I went back into my pattern and cleared the keyboard part with the original bassline and instead loaded up the two samples into the stretch parts, triggered at the same time of step one of the pattern. I put some reverb on the non-bass (high, open tone) version of the sample and set the filter type to BP. The deep sub version of the bassline is left clean with no filtering or effects. When played together, you can play around with the filter of the high part and the bassline keeps those woofers shaking.

This is only one style for putting this together, there are many more styles of dnb synth basses out there, but a lot of them use a similar technique: Your subsonic subwoofer bass shaking stuff will be a track on it's own and the audible part for the ears will mimic the notes and be adjustable on another track. The great thing about using the stretch parts for this is you can mute and cut out the bassline at will and instantly, which is why I opted for those slots instead of one shots...if you mute a one shot, it keeps playing it's last note until it's reached the end of the sample or the envelope...

At any rate, hopefully this is useful for someone. :)
GEAR: ESX, Micron, KP3, Kaossilator, ER-1mk2, Xenyx 801, VS880, US-122
hseiken

Return to Articles And Tutorials