Lo-Fi/Space Saver ESX

Read and write articles, faq's, tips/tricks, tutorials and other forms of helpful information about Electribes.

Moderator: Aciphecs

Lo-Fi/Space Saver ESX

Postby hseiken on Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:42 am

This is an oldskool tip brought back from the days of samplers with much higher limitations on memory than ESX.

This trick is good to get crunchier sounding samples and/or save space. I know a lot of push towards a 'super clean sound' is underway in most music, but there's a charm to certain samples being low fi. Again, this also saves space in your memory.

First, record the sample at normal speed through the input or load up your sample via card.
Next, go into the sample editor and pull up that sample.
Hold Shift then push RECORD to arm the resampling feature.
Play the original sample at 1 octave above the original. Feel free to add effects before doing this (i.e. EQ, filter, etc.)
Push stop when you're done resampling.
Use the sample editor to trim up the sample.
Then use the 'pitch correct' settings to drop the pitch back down to original ocatave.
Save the sample.
It's now taking up half the space it was before (don't forget to delete the original sample so it actually DOES take up less space!)

Some downsides to this this method:
Lower bitrate overall. However, this also adds to sample 'brightness' in some cases along with crunchiness. If you like sampling old breaks, this can make some breaks sound a lot better.
Another downside is that it's a bit more work. If you are sampling from records or a computer into the line input, save a step by pitching up the record or computer sound before hand. You also get less artifacting this way if 'cleanliness' is your goal. This is not always possible, though.
Dont' forget that when you time slice a sample like this, ESX may think it's a short sample, so don't blindly accept it's suggestion of time signature and beats. Set them to what they should be and slicing should be just fine.
Do not use this method twice on the same sample. The second time around, the sample gets EXTREMELY distorted and muddy and doesn't sound good. Also don't go beyond an octave higher. You start getting weird artifacts that way too. If an octave DOES give you artifacts, try one note lower. You can resample as much as you want to audition what you like then keep the best results.

Hope this helps you guys create more room in your tribe. This method should also work on ES-1 as well but is untested.
GEAR: ESX, Micron, KP3, Kaossilator, ER-1mk2, Xenyx 801, VS880, US-122
hseiken

Re: Lo-Fi/Space Saver ESX

Postby Dr Feelgood on Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:05 pm

Great tip. A good old school technique for sure for all the reasons that you mentioned. What I often do when I'm aiming for a crunchier, "dirtier" sound is set my turntables speed adjustment to 45RPM's while I'm sampling into the ESX (it sounds even grimier on the ES-1 due to the 32KHZ sample rate). Once I have my sample I reset the pitch to a slower tone. The overall sample time saved utilizing this technique makes a world of difference, especially when it comes to conserving time when you have a long sample that you want to grab. Many Hiphop producers from back in the day would utilize this very same technique to save time on classic old school machines like the SP1200, the S-900/950's and some of the earlier MPC's. I don't know if you're familiar with Damu the Fudgemunk who uses a bare bones MPC-2000 with 20 seconds stock memory and no effects. He uses the very same technique discussed above while making most of his tunes. Great stuff IMO check him out if you already haven't. It's amazing what this guy manages to pull off just with 20 seconds sample time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXOGcpcsQJ8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bi2cPIsdanM
Korg ESX-1
Korg EMX-1
Korg ES-1
Microkorg
Korg Microstation
Akai MPC-2000XL
Boss BR-532

https://soundcloud.com/feelgood79
https://soundcloud.com/holographic-dreams-1
Dr Feelgood
Master Tribe Wizard

Re: Lo-Fi/Space Saver ESX

Postby hseiken on Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:21 pm

In ESX, it's especially useful for stereo sampling. I have a 424mkII 4 track, so if I have the sample on tape, I'll put it on high speed and turn the pitch knob all the way up to sample initially.

Tons of old hip hop abused this tech and it's such a great 'thinking outside the box' method for maximizing sample time. As well, you can get a lot more mileage per global save on your ESX because of it too. :)

ESX already dwarfs stuff like the old sp1200 in terms of sample time, but it's always nice if you can get a whole set on one save AND get dirtier at the same time! :)
GEAR: ESX, Micron, KP3, Kaossilator, ER-1mk2, Xenyx 801, VS880, US-122
hseiken

Return to Articles And Tutorials