Getting A Fuller Sound And Preventing "Crowding"

Read and write articles, faq's, tips/tricks, tutorials and other forms of helpful information about Electribes.

Moderator: Aciphecs

Getting A Fuller Sound And Preventing "Crowding"

Postby TRAUMA on Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:36 pm

Hi guys I just wanted to share this small tip for getting a much fuller sound from your patterns and being able to articulate each piece of your kit and tones to prevent them from stepping over one another and sounding muddy or crowded. I learned this when reading about home studio recording. This solely involves the pan feature. If you've ever listen to music in a car with a blown left or right speaker you may have noticed that if the left speaker is blown the guitar solo or lead guitar might sound dead quite or not there at all. Same thing with rhytmn guitar or other instruments and especially vocals usually more dominant on the right side of the car. This is because each track is panned more to the left or right?

Think of it this way. Think of all your instruments and sounds in your song or pattern in a spektrum or a line going from left to right? Youvre got a dead center as well. The purpose of panning tracks to the left, right or center is so you can spread them out and get a much fuller landscape of sound where each sound has its own personal space to hang out in and "breath" if you will. If you keep all your synth tracks and drums piled up in the middle of the pan spectrum then they're all crowded together and they can't fully express themselves.

What I usually do is keep most of my basic percussion like the kick and snare in the middle. If I use more than one high hat or tambourine or whatever then I put one towards the left a little bit and the other on the right. I might offset my bass track to the right side more and put my lead synth to the left. What you want to o is spread them out just enough so they each have their own spot in themspektrum without making it totally obvious that its on the left or right. You still want to hear each tone coming from both sides, but what you end up with is a right and full soundscape that really stimulate the headphones is speakers that they're playing out of.

Well that's it. I hope this helps some of you that are new to studio recording or mixing and I'm sorry if this has already been covered but I didn't see it. Cheers.
TRAUMA
Electribe Newbie

Return to Articles And Tutorials