The future of Ruso (just wanted to share my future plans)

Talk about anything related to the Electribes.

Moderator: Aciphecs

The future of Ruso (just wanted to share my future plans)

Postby StellarJay[aka Ruso] on Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:25 pm

So I've been looking into the technology of multi touch for a long time now. First the lemur came out by Jazzmutant but I was not at all impressed with the machine. Now however things are really starting to look up in the multi touch world with atmel coming up with a brand new technology and even Windows 7 natively supporting multi touch devices....

So on that note it's getting about that time to share the idea behing my next rig!

Currently there's a company out that is producing multi-touch screen overlays in large formats. They are designed to fit over large (32"+) LCD displays (aka essentially HD LCD TV's). The idea is instead of being bound to a box full of midi controllers I would much rather have a dynamic surface which is totally adaptable to my live set.

In the near future (after taking care of debts) my plan is to totally replace my whole music rig with just my computer (with a sound interface of course) and a large format LCD screen with a multi touch overlay.

The good news for me (being an Ableton user) is that Max 4 Live just came out on the market which gives full access to ableton's internals via a visual programming language. I plan to bridge things like clip slots and other useful info and to bridge it via a modified MIDI protocol (essentially using midi for serial communication) into another application which I will write in my usual Visual C++ .NET and develop a stunning user interface that I can setup however I want to work with the display.

What's neat about this is that I can make the interface totally dynamic... for instance... if I add another track in ableton it can simply shrink the clip grid and add another column. This is completely impossible obviously using traditional midi controllers.

Also I can use nifty controls like for example an XY pad to act as a KAOSS pad.

Latelly I have been experiencing a whole bunch of problems with running so many usb devices where things will bug out and cut out randomly and this would also help to completely remove the problem out of the equation.

This also gives me a drastic advantage in the live performance world because I would look some sort of a dude controlling a futuristic alien console.

Anyway thought I'd share. It's still a ways away before I can afford to do this and it also makes sense for the technology to lose $$ value for a while but the most important thing is that it's HERE and after a long long long wait it's at the tip of my finger tips (almost literally).....

For now however I'm gonna go do some fun shizznack with Max 4 Live! :-D (it's freaking confusing for a traditional programmer)
StellarJay[aka Ruso]
Site Admin

Re: The future of Ruso (just wanted to share my future plans)

Postby ultrasonyk on Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:30 am

to be honest ruso, the more i read this post, i start thinking more and more....about going the software way.

and as an oldschooler i must say, i hate that idea!

:)
ultrasonyk
Electribe Newbie

Postby Yatmandu on Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:08 am

Multi-touch screens are the future of electronic music and sequencing/live performance. Devices like the APC and Novation launchpad are just very crude versions of what multi-touch can do. I would dump stock in Jazzmutant, as the new screens and Win7 native support are going to wipe out these expensive boutique controllers. Interesting times ahead.
Yatmandu
Knob Fiddler

Postby Blue Monster 65 on Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:58 am

I got a very cool demo from a friend (former rep) of a product due to hit the market within a year or two this past summer. Due to the non-disclosure agreement I signed (no kidding - I was a bit shocked when he asked me to sign BEFORE he showed me the secret), I can't tell you much, but suffice it to say it made me think that making music with computers is about to get much, much cooler, easier, and more intuitive.

Not to mention incredibly harder with all the extra parameters of your composition you'll be able to control in new, exciting ways.

Really, it reminded me of long, late-night discussions I had as a comp student many, many years ago. Just loads of interesting opportunities coming with this. My biggest question is if people will use these new tools to create new types of music or just make the same thing? Hmmm ...

That and eventually I'll need a 60" screen just to be yet again behind the times. :lol:
Blue Monster 65
EF Special Task Force

Postby StellarJay[aka Ruso] on Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:20 am

Well I tell you there are some very interesting possibilities being open at least for new types of synthesis via max 4 live. Basically the power of coming up with a new form of synthesis is at the finger tips of the average joe music producer
StellarJay[aka Ruso]
Site Admin

Postby dubathonic on Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:29 pm

Blue Monster 65 wrote:I got a very cool demo from a friend (former rep) of a product due to hit the market within a year or two this past summer. Due to the non-disclosure agreement I signed (no kidding - I was a bit shocked when he asked me to sign BEFORE he showed me the secret), I can't tell you much, but suffice it to say it made me think that making music with computers is about to get much, much cooler, easier, and more intuitive.

Think he'd mind if you at least told us what platform and what processing power/add'l hardware we'll need? Obviously I gotta save up, I'd just like to know if I'll have to sell a kidney as well :ohshit:
EMX, MachineDrum, Octatrack, KP3, Behringer FCB-1010, Taylor T5
http://dubathonic.bandcamp.com/
dubathonic
Knob Fiddler

Postby Blue Monster 65 on Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:20 pm

Right now they're running it on PC (gonna be Mac, too, he said), with three touch screens that were about 30" apiece. It was ... well ... wild! :shock:

Think of the sci-fi flicks where guys are pulling information around from one screen to another? Like that. And you could switch on the fly what parameters you were controlling - all via software. Not sure of the computer specs, but the usual music/gaming computer is what they're aiming for.

Suffice it to say, I was impressed.
Blue Monster 65
EF Special Task Force

Postby StellarJay[aka Ruso] on Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:20 pm

I think I know exactly what you are talking about dude ;)

This platform has been in development for a while now I am pretty certain I have ran into it a few times. I don't think it is at all known to the music community but it is very well exposed in the multi touch underground ;)
StellarJay[aka Ruso]
Site Admin

Postby Blue Monster 65 on Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:39 pm

These guys do both hardware and software. You know them. Can't say more, 'cause it could mean my friend's job. Seems silly that they'd be that secretive, but I've had to do the same thing with other products, soooo ...
Blue Monster 65
EF Special Task Force

Postby Yatmandu on Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:46 pm

Ruso wrote:...very well exposed in the multi touch underground ;)

SOunds kinky! :gunz:
Yatmandu
Knob Fiddler

Next

Return to General Discussion