What Electribes have you got?

Talk about anything related to the Electribes.

Moderator: Aciphecs

Re: What Electribes have you got?

Postby AbalaSonagama on Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:05 pm

Yatmandu wrote:Funny story indeed. Good to hear you got things under control. I do think though, as fun and great the tribes are, you can over-tribe things a bit. It's nice to get a bit of variety in your setup too, so instead of adding a 4th tribe, how about saving up for a DSI MoPho or Evolver or some other gear to play with your existing tribes?

thats a good question, the situation is terrible:
ive been looking into such things, but i moved pretty much into the middle of nowhere (away from where i originally purchased my gear), 4 hours from any sort of respectable instrument store, let alone one that would sell any DSI stuff, so i cant go play with one and id have to deal with an online retailer to even get such things. ive had terrible experience with both guitar center and musicians friend, and all the other music e-tailers have 30 day return policies, after the week it takes to get here, i have three weeks to figure out if i like it or not before i send it back. thats if they do their return policy by postmark date or date it arrives. if its the latter i only have two weeks to play with new wares, and with a 60+hr work week id have a total of one weekend to try new hardware. it took me literally a year or so of going to the DJ store, playing with stuff, to even convince myself that i should have spent the money. i gotta play with shyte before i commit, yea?

im moving from this pit of hell as soon as possible
AbalaSonagama
Electribe Newbie

Postby Yatmandu on Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:32 am

AbalaSonagama wrote:
Yatmandu wrote:Funny story indeed. Good to hear you got things under control. I do think though, as fun and great the tribes are, you can over-tribe things a bit. It's nice to get a bit of variety in your setup too, so instead of adding a 4th tribe, how about saving up for a DSI MoPho or Evolver or some other gear to play with your existing tribes?

thats a good question, the situation is terrible:
ive been looking into such things, but i moved pretty much into the middle of nowhere (away from where i originally purchased my gear), 4 hours from any sort of respectable instrument store, let alone one that would sell any DSI stuff, so i cant go play with one and id have to deal with an online retailer to even get such things. ive had terrible experience with both guitar center and musicians friend, and all the other music e-tailers have 30 day return policies, after the week it takes to get here, i have three weeks to figure out if i like it or not before i send it back. thats if they do their return policy by postmark date or date it arrives. if its the latter i only have two weeks to play with new wares, and with a 60+hr work week id have a total of one weekend to try new hardware. it took me literally a year or so of going to the DJ store, playing with stuff, to even convince myself that i should have spent the money. i gotta play with shyte before i commit, yea?

im moving from this pit of hell as soon as possible

Ouch! I hear you. I can definitely vouch for the quality of DSI stuff. They're all built like tanks. I have an Evolver and I know someone with a MoPho (we may be trading with a cash differential). Those two are probably best bang for the buck if you want to get some analog synthesis into your music. There's MFB Synths too, but from what I've seen in the store, they're made of chincy plastic, but they sound good too.

Anyway, google's your friend for this kind of thing, and once you get of the "pit of hell" lol, you'll know what to get.
Yatmandu
Knob Fiddler

Postby AbalaSonagama on Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:41 am

yea im hoping that by the time im ready to go wheels up ill have already seen enough youtube videos to get an idea of how each of those little buzzy-clicky-wompwomp boxes operate.

but for now i save my sanity and play with the gear ive got, just glad that ive got even these. id go nuts here if i didnt.
AbalaSonagama
Electribe Newbie

Postby Greg121972 on Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:55 am

Hello!

First post on here. Been collecting Electribes now for a few years and only discovered this site the other day!

At the moment I have,

EA mk1 & mk2
ES mk1
ER mk1
ESX
Microkorg
Kaossilator Pro

I have also had an EMX but sold it for the ESX.
I also have both Roland MC303 and 505.

Out of them all I mainly just use the ESX midi'd to the EA mk2 - in my view the most fun you can have is to be had here.
Just started using the Microkorg midi'd to MC303 and Kaossilator which seems to work quite well.
Looking to sell the EA mk1, ES, ER and maybe the MC505 for the right price
Greg121972
Electribe Newbie

Postby Aciphecs on Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:19 am

Welcome aboard Greg! Looks like you might be a member of the Korg Forum as well? Sounds like a fun setup :D
Aciphecs
EF Special Task Force

Postby Headphones on Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:24 am

I used to own the EA-1, ER-1, EM-1, and the ES-1. I was sort of having my life go haywire career wise, and I had to pawn or sell them off. (I bought them all used, so it didn't burn me as bad as buying them new, but still :( ). I had to re-focus my life, and walk away from most of my gear, but somehow, I've managed to do better than before.

Now I'm at the point where I can buy gear again, so I went out and got a ER-mk2, and a EMX(I never got around to owning the newer units until just a month ago). Now I found some of my favorite patterns are not in the ER-1 mk2, which makes me want to go score a old school ER-1 (and I'll probably want the EA-1, EM-1). And also, I can rescue my old ES-1 from the pawn store and get a memory card for it on eBay. The only trouble is, I'll need to get a DJ mixer to merge all the beats/basslines and melodies into this setup. Add a kaoss pad into that, and I can move onto something else, such as a modular synth, or just save up for a decent iMac and soundcard. And yet, I do want to check out a ESX at some point as well. Decisions, decisions.

Needless to say, I'll always have a soft spot for my tribes, and even if I had to lose a few along the way, I seem to go right back and score another one. Just wish I knew where to find and grab a EM-1 again. :(
Headphones
Electribe Newbie

Postby thehighesttree on Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:11 am

I have to say, I've seen them all besides the EM-1 up for sale on my local Kijiji...seems like it was introduced as the last original before the X-series came out, so from a marketshare perspective it might've gotten caught between them. Just curious, my understanding is that it's a rompler at its core: what unique strengths did you find the EM1 provided? Don't take that the wrong way, I'm just genuinely curious how it plays with the others, since my understanding is that it's the most well-rounded, standalone one of the original series.

(For the thread, I've got EMX running into ESX sharing a stereo mix channel and it's the audio/MIDIclock core of my AV setup.)
GEAR: TR-76(16Mb EXB-SMPL) /ESX-1 /KP3 /EMX-SD /R3 /uglyass Poly800 MkII /monotron
thehighesttree
Knob Abuser

Postby Headphones on Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:39 pm

Good question, if I own a EMX, why do I miss my EM-1?? Yes, it was a rompler unit, but then so is the EMX if you think about it. But it was a great unit to bang some ideas out with, and all without needing any midi cables or any unnecessary audio cables. You could pitch the samples at different speeds for interesting results, and if you combined it with any other electribe, then you could keep the beats going, bring in your samples, or 2 extra synth lines/analogue beats, etc...I don't know, some gear you end up missing if you lose it, and that was one of them. They tend to pop up from time to time on eBay, and 2013 gives me a whole year to locate and purchase another one. It'll feel right at home with my EMX/ER1mk2, or any other gear I get.
Headphones
Electribe Newbie

Postby AlabamaCajun on Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:27 pm

Just ordered an EMXSD should be here next Tuesday. I go back to the days of Amigas and Electronic Arts Instant music. While I'm not new to the synth stuff, the Electribe caught me be surprise. What an incredible machine. Back in the day we used to solder our own synth boxes using the multifunction sound generator chips. Looking forward to twiddling the knobs and warming up the toobs.
AlabamaCajun
Electribe Newbie

Postby Ganzha on Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:39 pm

I am absolutely new here, I have EMS-1 4 yers old. I have bought it from Ebay last Nov (2012) and new ESX-1 that i have bought two week later (2013)
Ganzha
Electribe Newbie

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion