If you could have only 2?

Talk about anything related to the Electribes.

Moderator: Aciphecs

If you could have only 2?

Postby James H on Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:34 am

There are 6 electribes all together but some of them overlap each other both sonically and functionally so i was thinking...If you could have only 2, which would you choose?

Now the obvious choice would be the EMX and the ESX, but these are both the most expensive too and not everyone can afford them. So to add a twist you can only pick 1 out of the EMX and ESX.

For me it would be either... the ESX/EM1, or the EMX/ES-1 (whiich is a shame because I love the ER-1 but cannot find room for it having only two electribes)
James H
Electribe Newbie

Re: If you could have only 2?

Postby StellarJay[aka Ruso] on Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:43 am

I would pick two EMX. I know that's bending the rules but it is what I would get and I can afford it.
StellarJay[aka Ruso]
Site Admin

Postby Tarekith on Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:49 am

EMX and ES-1 then :) Still, I'd choose the EMX and ESX if that was an option.
ImageImage
Tarekith
Knob Abuser

Postby Milhouse on Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:50 am

I would bend the rules and get two ESX. I have one, been tempted to get two. Been using my ESX for Hip Hop, but run out of room with all the samples. ggrrr!
Korg ESX-1
Ensoniq ASR-X Pro
Roand Juno 106
Tama Techstar 206
Yamaha TG-33
Milhouse
Knob Abuser

Postby James H on Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:13 am

Milhouse wrote:I would bend the rules and get two ESX. I have one, been tempted to get two. Been using my ESX for Hip Hop, but run out of room with all the samples. ggrrr!

You could pick up an ES-1 if you only need room for a few more samples. They're much cheaper than an ESX and IMO they sound nicer too (even though they're only 32.1khz.)

Actually, I have been through 2 ESX's and finally settled on the ES-1 mk2. I just don't like the sound of the ESX. The fx sound nicer on the ES-1 too, especially the mk2 version. I want to love the ESX because it has eveything I want on the ES-1, but for me i just don't like the sound. Everything sounds dull and muddy to my ears and you really have to work it to bring the sounds out. That is the deal breaker for me.
James H
Electribe Newbie

Postby Milhouse on Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:54 pm

James H wrote:
Milhouse wrote:I would bend the rules and get two ESX. I have one, been tempted to get two. Been using my ESX for Hip Hop, but run out of room with all the samples. ggrrr!

You could pick up an ES-1 if you only need room for a few more samples. They're much cheaper than an ESX and IMO they sound nicer too (even though they're only 32.1khz.)

Actually, I have been through 2 ESX's and finally settled on the ES-1 mk2. I just don't like the sound of the ESX. The fx sound nicer on the ES-1 too, especially the mk2 version. I want to love the ESX because it has eveything I want on the ES-1, but for me i just don't like the sound. Everything sounds dull and muddy to my ears and you really have to work it to bring the sounds out. That is the deal breaker for me.

If you change the tubes out, it sounds waaaay better. I was also thinking of picking of a sp 404 for some of my longer samples. Just to free up some room.
Korg ESX-1
Ensoniq ASR-X Pro
Roand Juno 106
Tama Techstar 206
Yamaha TG-33
Milhouse
Knob Abuser

Postby Toybeat on Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:13 pm

I already have both (ESX and EMX) :shakeno: no regret ...oh and I changed the Tubes of both, too...the difference between the sound they make now and the one before is...so big...
EMX1,ESX1,KP3.
Toybeat
Electribe Newbie

Postby killedaway on Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:39 am

James H wrote:Actually, I have been through 2 ESX's and finally settled on the ES-1 mk2. I just don't like the sound of the ESX. The fx sound nicer on the ES-1 too, especially the mk2 version. I want to love the ESX because it has eveything I want on the ES-1, but for me i just don't like the sound. Everything sounds dull and muddy to my ears and you really have to work it to bring the sounds out. That is the deal breaker for me.

(hope it's okay to bump this thread!)

wow, you're the only person besides myself (that i have found) to have this opinion. the only Electribe i don't own is the ES-1. i sold mine a few years back after having bought the ESX, figuring i wouldn't need/want it anymore. the ESX is fine, but compared to the ES-1, it just seems to lack... "soul".

to quote myself from another forum, yesterday, "yeah, it does some stuff a lot better, but the ES-1 felt faster, dirtier, better. and i firmly believe that the 32khz plus compression from the ES-1 helped it nestle into tracks much better than it's successor. the ESX is too dang bright and sizzly. rats, now i miss my ES-1 more than ever."

so i'd definitely pick the EMX and ES-1. and just for fun, if those two were out of the equation, i'd choose EM-1 and ESX.
ESX, EMX, EM-1, ERmkII, EA-1, EAmkII, microKORG
FR Revolution
elektron SFX-60mkII
MPC500
Yamaha CS01
& more!
killedaway
Electribe Newbie

Postby StellarJay[aka Ruso] on Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:31 am

bumps welcome. I too feel that the ESX lacks soul... I have never tried the older models but the ESX definitely does not have a unique tone like for example the EMX has.

It's really plain and the tubes even after being upgraded do not give it much tone.
StellarJay[aka Ruso]
Site Admin

Postby Yatmandu on Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:34 pm

I dunno, I really like my ESX. It really depends what samples you put into it. I have some chinese string instrument stuff in mine, and when I start cranking the effects and play it in reverse it makes sounds you just can't produce on the EMX. They really do go well together ESX+EMX. Maybe ES-1 to ESX is kind of like ER-1 to EMX. They just appear to have more soul, but that's only because they're more simplistic, straight-forward, and focused in terms of workflow than their E-X counterparts, but everything that can be done on the early models, can also be done on the later ones.
Yatmandu
Knob Fiddler

Next

Return to General Discussion