i need some help here...

Talk about anything related to the Electribes.

Moderator: Aciphecs

i need some help here...

Postby mingtsaismom on Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:14 pm

i hate to be a total noob, but i'm having a hell of a time finding out some key information. i'm trying to decided between the EMX and ESX but don't really know what the differences are. I know that the EMX has synths, but I don't know what it gives up in order to get them. I really need to get away from using battery for all my drum needs, its killing the creation of my music. Its time for some hardware and I need help figuring out what to get.

Again, sorry for being a total noob. I guess its the price for having a community grow.
mingtsaismom
Electribe Newbie

Re: i need some help here...

Postby Justinhatesyou123 on Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:16 pm

Im happy you dig my music :]

But yah dude a lot of stuff lately is dependent on computers. Most of what i do is on Reason 4 with just some sequenced stuff on the Emx added on...like a couple of the little poppy synthes in my songs.

But both are pretty different and suit different needs. If you view drums as the priority since you mentioned battery....go esx. You can sample the drumbeats rather than being stuck to the same 207 drum sounds on the emx.

Since you do have a micron and mk i would personally go esx since you have the synth spectrum pretty much covered for now. Change out the tubes ofcourse

On another note though. I know for sure the emx can do this and not so much about the esx, but you can midi your keyboards up to the emx and sequence all the shyte. Just press play and you can have all your keys hooked up to the emx playin without your input. Just need to watch the emx and keep tabs of muting and so forth.

Lastly...i reccomend reason 4 :]
Justinhatesyou123
Electribe Newbie

Postby TrondC on Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:17 am

EMX = 5 mono-synth part + some drum parts with permanent pre-sets
ESX = sampler. you load your own sounds, and then assign them to different parts. like the EMX; it has a bunch of drum sounds, but these are all samples, so you can change them if you don't like them (load your own drum samples, from Battery would be killer). then it has 2 synth parts similar to the EMX, exept this is just a pitched playback of the samples, no synth-engine like on the EMX. it has 2 stretch parts, where you can have loops play in sync without changing the pitch, and a slice part which can do some wicked, cut up things.

since you want drums, the ESX is the one to get. load it with your best Battery sounds and you have yourself a very good drum machine
Techno/Dub/Ambient
-Monomachine/Machinedrum UW/Acidlab Bassline/KP3
-Korg Zero 4 mixer - Recordings in Reaper

http://siestasubmarina.bandcamp.com/
http://soundcloud.com/siesta-submarina
TrondC
EF Special Task Force

Postby mingtsaismom on Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:18 pm

thanks a ton guys. the ESX is definitely what i'm looking for. not being able to swap out the samples on the EMX kills it for me, and like it has already been noted, i have synths covered rather well for the time being. now to look into new tubes.
mingtsaismom
Electribe Newbie

Postby mingtsaismom on Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:57 am

i guess i should ask if there is any sort of easy way to move battery files to the esx other than recording them all as samples. god, if there is that would be great.
mingtsaismom
Electribe Newbie

Postby MagpieIndustries on Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:34 am

nope. getting samples into the esx is a pain. but you dont have to record them all individually if you can get ahold of a memory card (smart media 128mb, or xd 128mb with smartmedia adapter is easier to find) and then use a program called esx wave organiser http://www.skratchdot.com/esxwaveorganizer/download.php this will let you put all the wav files onto the memory card and transfer them all at once to the esx. highly recommended.
MagpieIndustries
Knob Abuser

Postby TrondC on Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:16 am

for the record, I am enjoying even the presets on the ESX, but loading in a few better samples definately lifted the machine to a new level as well :) I'm hopefully getting Battery myself sometime this year, and I plan to load the ESX with a bunch of battery samples :)
Techno/Dub/Ambient
-Monomachine/Machinedrum UW/Acidlab Bassline/KP3
-Korg Zero 4 mixer - Recordings in Reaper

http://siestasubmarina.bandcamp.com/
http://soundcloud.com/siesta-submarina
TrondC
EF Special Task Force

Return to General Discussion