Groovetubes Spectrum Analysis

Talk about anything related to the Electribes.

Moderator: Aciphecs

Re: Groovetubes Spectrum Analysis

Postby StellarJay[aka Ruso] on Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:43 am

I just can't get enough of this picture lol... never gets old
StellarJay[aka Ruso]
Site Admin

Postby killedaway on Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:06 pm

i don't know much about tubes at all but i'm thinking about upgrading those in my EMX since i have to open it anway.

sorry if this was answered elsewhere, but does anyone know if the tubes on the EMX/ESX are run in series, or does each tube affect each channel (L/R) of output separately? if it's the latter, i'm guessing a matched pair would be best... right?

i'm not good at reading schematics, but looking at the service manual, it looks like each tube affects one channel separately.
ESX, EMX, EM-1, ERmkII, EA-1, EAmkII, microKORG
FR Revolution
elektron SFX-60mkII
MPC500
Yamaha CS01
& more!
killedaway
Electribe Newbie

Postby Yatmandu on Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:38 pm

Ruso wrote:I just can't get enough of this picture lol... never gets old

Lol! That dude seems he has a tube fetish! Love the glasses.
Yatmandu
Knob Fiddler

Postby AmigaHeretic on Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:56 pm

killedaway wrote:i don't know much about tubes at all but i'm thinking about upgrading those in my EMX since i have to open it anway.

sorry if this was answered elsewhere, but does anyone know if the tubes on the EMX/ESX are run in series, or does each tube affect each channel (L/R) of output separately? if it's the latter, i'm guessing a matched pair would be best... right?

i'm not good at reading schematics, but looking at the service manual, it looks like each tube affects one channel separately.

I believe one tube goes to just one channel. So there is a 'left' tube and a 'right' tube. So I have read of people getting tubes and one channel will be a little louder than the other. There is a potentiometer adjustment by the tubes and supposedly you can sort of even our the sound, but I don't think it's really a volume adjustment it does something else, but helps.

I just got some JJs ECC803S tubes. And it just have to say WOW!! I wasn't sure if there was really going to be a noticable difference or more of a "I think it sounds different/better" kind of thing.

It really makes the Electribe sound... Amazing. Once I put the tubs in I just went through some of the presets sequences and they just sounded totally different. A13, A20 etc etc. I just kept thinking wow this is an awsome demo/preset, this is an awsome preset... everything just sort of sparkled and you could hear all these extra sounds.

I did spend extra and got the Gold Pin tubes and I really don't know if that makes of difference, but cost doesn't really matter as it makes me 'want' to use my EMX again.

Couple things about the "Tube Gain" now. As far as how far it goes. Testing with a few songs I can turn it up to about 3/4 of the way to full and everything just sounds crisp, sounds are sort of seperated, just like going from an MP3 to a CD, you don't know what you are missing 'till you hear it.

Now if I turn the Tube Gain knob all the rest of the way, from about 3/4 to Full I get some distortion, but it sounds awsome. I was worried from reading about new tubes was that I wouldn't get any distortion "if I wanted it". But if I max it gets warm and wild. I super happy about this.

Before I never used Tube Gain at all. I always left it at 0 as on my machine turning it up even a little was just BAD. Distortion instantly and just sound a mess.

Thank you guys out the for the tube info and doing the testing before I had to buy them. Wish I had done it sooner.

And I have to thank Eurotubes.com for the quick service. The sent my tubes out the same day they got the order and I got them the next day!! I used the cheapest shipping option, but we are both in Oregon. The tubes are tiny, but they packed them abut 10 times better than they needed. Put them in a large box with tons of nice styrofoam. (I was expecting the tubes to come in a padded envelope or something)

Oh yeah, the ones I got were matched and balanced, again don't know if that makes a differnce, but the left/right balance is perfect, so maybe it was worth the extra $2.00 ;-)
AmigaHeretic
Electribe Newbie

Previous

Return to General Discussion