Pimp your korg?

Talk about anything related to the Electribes.

Moderator: Aciphecs

Re: Pimp your korg?

Postby BrandonFrisby on Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:56 pm

Well, currently, I'm putting green leds under the brim of the face plate, to be powered by a 9 volt battery. Kinda give it that..."Mothership" look. Basically putting ridiculously bright christmas lights that have an external source to power them. Should make it have a bright green glow all the way around.
But they're just LEDs at my brother in law's shop. 5 MM ultra brights.
I'm not going to try replacing anything inside of it for a while, heeding Ruso's advice.
I knew it would be precise, but after realizing I'd be needing picoLeds (.25 MM) it's almost robotically small.

So, until I find a better alternative, my yellow and reds are fine with me.

I'll post pictures as soon as I get done with this project.

And yeah, my friend (actually renting the extra room currently) did a small bit of the latter, mostly the first.
He's pretty good at soldering, but when I told him what I was thinking of working in, he instantly advised against it.

So, I'll let someone else try and copy that duder from the video link I posted earlier.
Also, I'll be uploading some songs from my new project that uses my tribe.

For my current band, myspace.com/theradspace

Werd.
Korg Electribe ES-1
Korg Electribe EMX-1 (x2)
Korg MicroKorg MK-1
Korg R3
Korg X50
Korg Kaoss Pad 2 KP-2
Korg Kaossilator KO-1
Korg Remote Keyboard RK-100
BrandonFrisby
Electribe Newbie

Postby killedaway on Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:45 am

got bored and did this. the buttons look much more "green" in person.

ESX, EMX, EM-1, ERmkII, EA-1, EAmkII, microKORG
FR Revolution
elektron SFX-60mkII
MPC500
Yamaha CS01
& more!
killedaway
Electribe Newbie

Postby StellarJay[aka Ruso] on Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:50 am

Looks great, what I would do though is instead of changing all of them I would do a different color every quarter note.

I don't know if the machines are the same (the x series and yours) but I hope it wasn't too big of a pain in the ass for ya.
StellarJay[aka Ruso]
Site Admin

Postby TrondC on Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:57 am

that's pretty much exactly what I'd like to do with my ESX: Blue LED's on 1,2,3 5,6,7 etc, and Green LED's for 1,5,9 and 13 :) then again, the red stock LEDs look a lot better since I styleflipped the ESX ;)

but that looks great killedaway, how hard was it to do?
Techno/Dub/Ambient
-Monomachine/Machinedrum UW/Acidlab Bassline/KP3
-Korg Zero 4 mixer - Recordings in Reaper

http://siestasubmarina.bandcamp.com/
http://soundcloud.com/siesta-submarina
TrondC
EF Special Task Force

Postby killedaway on Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:25 am

it was a bit of a chore, but not too bad. i've been soldering for a few years, though. i wouldn't recommend it to someone that hasn't had much experience. the LEDs are very small, and take a steady hand both in removal and replacement. it was fun though. Ruso, the LEDs on the original 'tribes and the X-tribes are the same. i know i said previously in this thread that i didn't want to bother, but i've had a lot of free time lately, so i figured, why not?

and yes, i plan to change 1, 5, 9, and 13, guys. this was more... "practice". once the white and blue LEDs i ordered come in, i'll swap the aforementioned steps and also complete the EMX and my original EA-1 (mkI) as well. i really wish i could get a more accurate picture of the green lights. in person, they're a very "candy" green, with almost no blue.

i changed my microKORG a while back as well. the "exposed" blue LEDs will soon be replaced with pink:

and one more of the EA MKII next to my ESX:

ESX, EMX, EM-1, ERmkII, EA-1, EAmkII, microKORG
FR Revolution
elektron SFX-60mkII
MPC500
Yamaha CS01
& more!
killedaway
Electribe Newbie

Postby Aciphecs on Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:30 am

This is my modded ESX, after using oven cleaner to get the red anodizing off.
korg.jpg
korg.jpg (62.69 KiB) Viewed 6016 times

Couldn't get all the red off the one corner, but was happy enough with the results
Aciphecs
EF Special Task Force

Postby Milhouse on Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:20 am

Does the oven cleaner thing work on older ESX models??
Korg ESX-1
Ensoniq ASR-X Pro
Roand Juno 106
Tama Techstar 206
Yamaha TG-33
Milhouse
Knob Abuser

Postby Aciphecs on Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:33 am

Yep, mine is over 5 years old. It didn't seem to want to take all of the red out on some areas (that I use most, not sure if it was something with the oil, grease and dirt that accumulated over the years) but it's silver enough for me. I was just sick of the red\pink. I'm actually thinking about style filppin it now that I know they can print the legend on top of the graphics.
Aciphecs
EF Special Task Force

Postby Milhouse on Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:50 am

Thanks! I think I might try doing this. I was never fond of the red/pink color and wished the sampler came in the blue color. I do like the look of the silver and the red led's. So do I just spray the oven cleaner on and just let it sit and then reapply cleaner if color is not changing??
Korg ESX-1
Ensoniq ASR-X Pro
Roand Juno 106
Tama Techstar 206
Yamaha TG-33
Milhouse
Knob Abuser

Postby Aciphecs on Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:24 am

Yep. Take off the faceplate, put it in the sink, spray the over cleaner, let it sit for awhile, rinse, repeat if needed.

I'm sure you may have heard, but Style Flip make covers in any color\graphic you choose. I was foolin on the website last night and actually made a blue skin for my ESX so it looked just like an EMX.

On a side note Milhouse, I see you have a TR-707. Do you use it in your setup? I have one that needs repair and was wondering if it would be worth it to fix.
Aciphecs
EF Special Task Force

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion