Pimp your korg?

Talk about anything related to the Electribes.

Moderator: Aciphecs

Pimp your korg?

Postby TrondC on Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:21 am

so, to keep topics seperated, here's something that came out of the whole styleflip thread

Modding your electribe. soundwise, extra memory, LED's, added robot arms, engravings in the metal chassis etc, you name it :)
Did anyone get a special tretment for their gear? I'm soon starting to do live shows, and I am all for making my gear look impressive, and stand out :)

My first thought would be to change LED's, as done in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTkLghcB0R4

other things would be customized knobs, I'm picturing glow in the dark stuff or hand-painted knobs etc.. yeah.. ("Vanity, I know..")

I'm posting a new topic here, as this is a subject of which I know absolutely nothing, (electronics + me = disaster, mostly)

oh, any way to change the lights where the tubes are at?

cool?
Techno/Dub/Ambient
-Monomachine/Machinedrum UW/Acidlab Bassline/KP3
-Korg Zero 4 mixer - Recordings in Reaper

http://siestasubmarina.bandcamp.com/
http://soundcloud.com/siesta-submarina
TrondC
EF Special Task Force

Re: Pimp your korg?

Postby BrandonFrisby on Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:39 am

I actually just ordered a black skin for my EMX-1.
So that the lights will appear to just be floating in the dark. Nice. =)

Also, I did some research. And the LEDs used in the video are very inexpensive.
The solder work is precise as all get out, judging from what the EMX service manual says.
But every light on the beastie is indeed changeable.
And the knob idea is right kitchy.

I'm going to try some modifications and take some pictures, and we'll see where this goes.
I'm replacing the tubes in my tribe soon, may as well put some new lights and a strobe (possibly midi activated?) while I'm at it. I'll be looking at options and possibilities, but share any more ideas you get in here.

Update: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9C6j-suJf8

Check that out.

Edit 2: Any idea on the specs for the LEDs? I assume Ruso would know, since he's opened his up a few times. If they're just standard 5 MMs, I'll put green leds in my tube housing tomorrow.
But...I'd rather have definite knowledge of what kind of LEDs I need to be looking for.
If anyone can help, lemme know. Also, got some inspiration from my R3 for my EMX. Going to try and see if putting value relative circular LEDs around the cutoff and resonance knobs isn't completely ludicrous. If Korg isn't going to pop out a new Electribe, I figure we may as well smex up the ones we got and make them as high tech as possible.

P.S.: Another forum we might look to recruit from is EnterShikari.com's forums.
There's a ton of tribeheads there that don't even know about the community built up around their little beep boxes.
Korg Electribe ES-1
Korg Electribe EMX-1 (x2)
Korg MicroKorg MK-1
Korg R3
Korg X50
Korg Kaoss Pad 2 KP-2
Korg Kaossilator KO-1
Korg Remote Keyboard RK-100
BrandonFrisby
Electribe Newbie

Postby StellarJay[aka Ruso] on Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:51 am

Unless you are very good at soldering I would not recommend changing the led's. They are really really small and the clearance between them and the buttons is small so there is very little room for error.... Even if you are good at soldering and are able to do it it will take a long time.
StellarJay[aka Ruso]
Site Admin

Postby killedaway on Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:03 am

yes, they're "picoLEDS". they're very small and like Ruso says, the going is slow. (that's basically what prevents me from doing them myself -- a lot of time spent just to change the lights?)
ESX, EMX, EM-1, ERmkII, EA-1, EAmkII, microKORG
FR Revolution
elektron SFX-60mkII
MPC500
Yamaha CS01
& more!
killedaway
Electribe Newbie

Postby BrandonFrisby on Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:40 am

I've got a friend who used to build computers. I'll let him see if he's a dab hand at it.
If not, then I'll remain satisfied with my red and yellows beneath my new black skin.

Does Sovtek make tubes that work in EMXs, btw?
Korg Electribe ES-1
Korg MicroKorg MK-1
Korg R3
Korg X50
Korg Kaoss Pad 2 KP-2
Korg Kaossilator KO-1
BrandonFrisby
Electribe Newbie

Postby killedaway on Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:56 am

BrandonFrisby wrote:Does Sovtek make tubes that work in EMXs, btw?

i believe they make a number of 12ax7 tubes that should work.
ESX, EMX, EM-1, ERmkII, EA-1, EAmkII, microKORG
FR Revolution
elektron SFX-60mkII
MPC500
Yamaha CS01
& more!
killedaway
Electribe Newbie

Postby BrandonFrisby on Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:28 pm

Sweet, thanks man. I'll be picking up a pair of either those or some Orange tubes here in the next day or two.

I started some light mods on my EMX, though they're not attached to the motherboard. More on that coming soon.

So, since I haven't kept up with the product line in the past 5 months, what's the word on any new grooveboxes coming from Korg or any other company?

I know Korg said no to an EMXmkII or anything like that.
But I just haven't kept up with it since they discontinued EMX.

Any word?
Korg Electribe ES-1
Korg MicroKorg MK-1
Korg R3
Korg X50
Korg Kaoss Pad 2 KP-2
Korg Kaossilator KO-1
BrandonFrisby
Electribe Newbie

Postby TrondC on Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:53 am

nothing from Korg, as far as I know, but Radikal Technologies releases the Spectralis 2, which should be awesome (but expensive tho, I'd rather have an elektron)
Techno/Dub/Ambient
-Monomachine/Machinedrum UW/Acidlab Bassline/KP3
-Korg Zero 4 mixer - Recordings in Reaper

http://siestasubmarina.bandcamp.com/
http://soundcloud.com/siesta-submarina
TrondC
EF Special Task Force

Postby StellarJay[aka Ruso] on Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:26 pm

BrandonFrisby wrote:I've got a friend who used to build computers. I'll let him see if he's a dab hand at it.
If not, then I'll remain satisfied with my red and yellows beneath my new black skin.

Does Sovtek make tubes that work in EMXs, btw?

My question would be, did he build computers as in buy parts and put them together in a case, or did he like build build computers?

I mean in any case it doesn't really help you simply because if he was putting parts together that doesn't mean he can solder well, and if he designs the circuitry then he probably either has a company or access to a robot that does it automatically.

Another thing is, I would not trust a friend to do something to my machine. It doesn't take as much soldering skill as it does patience and accuracy in which situation I would think that you would be able to and also want to dedicate more time and energy into it then your friend would.

But yes, I guess it's definitely plausible and likely that you could do it, but I'd practice soldering before then because even though it's not hard, it takes a while to learn to be good at it.
StellarJay[aka Ruso]
Site Admin

Postby MagpieIndustries on Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:39 pm

are the internal leds the same as the orange ones behind the tubes, the surface mount ones? I wouldn't try those unless you practice a bit of surface mount soldering on some old scrap board first. use flux. where are you getting the replacements from?
MagpieIndustries
Knob Abuser

Next

Return to General Discussion