New OS Suggestions?

Talk about anything related to the Electribes.

Moderator: Aciphecs

New OS Suggestions?

Postby buchanan on Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:25 am

Hi All,
If Korg would release a new OS for the EMX/ESX, what would be your suggestions to them? I'm thinking of emailing them to see what their response is.

My top suggestions would be...

- MIDI dump for ESX, ability to transfer samples to internal memory without SD/SM
- Adjustable OSC tuning for the EMX's chord synth - (perhaps ability to program in step parameter, rather than motion sequence?)
- Ability to use arpeggio on step sequenced notes (i.e not having to use ribbon to sequence)

I really hope that Korg continues development on the EMX/ESX or releases something similar, Monotribe OS 2.0 proved that Korg are still thinking creatively about their hardware devices.

I'd love a better reverb, but that would probably cost too much in terms of development - whereas tweaks as above would probably be easier to implement.

cheers
buchanan
Electribe Newbie

Re: New OS Suggestions?

Postby thehighesttree on Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:32 pm

I don't really understand what you mean with the arp suggestion, but man, it sure would be great to be able to define a LoopEnd point for samples played on the Keyboard Parts. This would actually give the sampling an envelope! I feel it's one smallish change that would really open the ESX up tremendously. For example, imagine if holding down a key caused the sample to fade in (Start to LoopStart) to to a sustained peak (looping LoopStart to"LoopEnd") which would fade out in completion ("LoopEnd" to end) once the button was released. This would be killer on vocal samples or any number of applications, and I'm honestly baffled as to why it isn't implemented. :|

The only other thing that comes to mind would be more options with the modulation: it'd be nice to have a sawtooth function as a continuous LFO rather than retriggering every time the note is hit, for example. Keep the current shapes and just add a SHIFT+ function that would define its activation style between 1-shot/retrigger/free LFO. You could just make it so one of the LEDs or buttons would blink to correspond with the trigger and/or tempo. Seems feasible enough.
Last edited by thehighesttree on Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
GEAR: TR-76(16Mb EXB-SMPL) /ESX-1 /KP3 /EMX-SD /R3 /uglyass Poly800 MkII /monotron
thehighesttree
Knob Abuser

Postby buchanan on Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:44 pm

Yes..sorry I don't think I was very clear about that...

What I meant was to be able to assign the arp to a synth track - lets say for example we could assign three notes to step one on synth part 1, with an "arp on" parameter also assigned to that step.

The arp would then play those notes for the duration of the step length (e.g 16 steps), the next bar could be a different chord.

Unless I've missed something, I believe the only way to use the arp just now is through the ribbon...I can record the arp to the sequencer by pressing record and using the ribbon, but sometimes it can be a bit clunky.

Hope this makes sense...good one about the loopend point btw I agree.
buchanan
Electribe Newbie

Postby thehighesttree on Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:55 pm

I see what you mean, an "arp mode" would be pretty slick so that you wouldn't have to do the initial fumbling around setting your notes up. Good point because there isn't an easy workaround for that that comes to mind, short of minimizing the volume on that part.

I provided a little more detailed explanation of what I was trying to say in my post above. I'm glad to see someone mailing Korg about a possible update, but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it...they're not the best for support unfortunately. It would be great if my KP3's patches were totally editable, or if there were more routing options for my R3's Virtual Patches, but I'm not counting on it.
GEAR: TR-76(16Mb EXB-SMPL) /ESX-1 /KP3 /EMX-SD /R3 /uglyass Poly800 MkII /monotron
thehighesttree
Knob Abuser

Postby neotechtonics on Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:41 pm

thehighesttree wrote:I'm glad to see someone mailing Korg about a possible update, but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it...they're not the best for support unfortunately. It would be great if my KP3's patches were totally editable, or if there were more routing options for my R3's Virtual Patches, but I'm not counting on it.

It's very unlikely there will be any updates.. seeing as tho there was nothing new except patterns on the latest SD version EMX :roll:

I know what you mean about the R3 virtual patches.. but I have a microkorg : same story.. limited routing. Also if the KP3 had some editting functionality and KoPro had some parameter editting for the synths... might actually make the thing useful!

I just hope that Korg releases new Electribes... and they arent some shiddy hybrid software-controller combo. The possibilities of what they could build into a box now are very exciting just based on the current lower cost products they produce
neotechtonics: the study of recent underground movements and measurement of their local effects in order to develop techniques for predicting earthquakes
http://soundcloud.com/neotechtonics

EMX guru in training
neotechtonics
EF Special Task Force

Postby buchanan on Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:11 am

I think you're probably right, thehighesttree, but I still have hope! I think that the fact that the new patterns came out, years after the EMX/ESX release date, and that they are still in production, means that they are still thinking about the Electribes.

Lets look at the development of Maschine - they have released a 2.0 hardware version, and have added features like VST hosting and time-stretching as the product matured. However a lot of people on the NI forums are worried that NI will charge for a 2.0 update, to bring in features like multicore.

Quite frankly, even if Korg charged me 50 quid or so for a new OS that refreshed the Electribe features, I'd quite happily pay it - I'm that dedicated to the Electribes because they fill a unique portion of the market. Maschine has a wealth of features, but to me it's missing the main features I'm after - being independent of a computer and having the majority of parameters mapped to dedicated controls. Elektron maschines are nice, but they didn't feel as quick and accessible...not mentioning the price jump too.

I think that today the Electribes are even more relevant today as music equipment shifts to software, and our world is filled with Facebook, iPads and constant information overload. I work in IT so using Ableton (and to a lesser degree Maschine) didn't really feel like I was getting away from the computer when I came home to play music.

Also I notice that the Electribe forums are more positive about the product than other forums (i.e NI and Ableton) probably because we are not obsessing about tech specs, computer issues and the latest x.x release. The Electribes have their limitations, and you work your creativity around them rather than chasing the latest and greatest VST for example.

I think Korg are aware of all of this, but the Electribe community needs to make a bit more noise about it to either make the existing hardware sustainable or help Korg understand what we are looking for in a new product. Their competitors are on the ball with what the customer wants, but Korg needs a bit of a push it seems.

Anyway...rant over :) If anyone has more ideas let me know I'm still up for emailing them with something well written.
buchanan
Electribe Newbie

Postby bresk on Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:19 am

A completly new machine would be better for me :ohshit:

btw sample transfer thru midi would take ages....and we have the wavemanager that is really the best thing korg have never developed...
korg should kiss scratchdot ass until the last produced esx is sold. :rofl:
ESX - EA1.mk2 - M1r - KP2 - KP3
bresk
Knob Fiddler

Postby Headphones on Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:00 am

I'm crossing my fingers they'll have a brand spanking new electribe at NAMM 2013. But if it's just a souped up monotribe, then I'll probably be very dissapointed and will just start saving up for some Elektron gear. I mean, the monotribe is cute and all, but the lack of MIDI is a little bit of a deal breaker, (I know it's possible to mod it to do so, but I'm no good with electronics, so I'd refuse to do it myself), and I want to see better features than the EMX/ESX, not a downscaled version of those. If it's the best of the EMX/ESX and some features of the monotribe (CV input/output), then I'd have to see if it appeals to me. If it's got more measures (12-15 would be soooo sweet), more FX, a built in Kaoss pad, more channels to assign, then Korg would have a electribe worth the wait. Sadly, I may feel the computer age has shut down the party on the Electribes, so if it doesn't have the perfect intergration of USB to a laptop, then maybe that's the harsh reality we'll all have to face.
Headphones
Electribe Newbie

Postby thehighesttree on Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:30 am

The Amazing Machines MIDItribe mod looks really, really simple...coming from a guy who's never soldered anything. My understanding is that the chip comes pre-assembled, and all you have to do is open the case, plug the board to an internal socket and run the MIDI ports through a hole that's already in the battery compartment. If you can operate a philips screwdriver then you can do the mod! I'm prob gonna order one so that I can use the monotribe as an analog bass module for the EMX channel I always dedicate to my primary bassline. By that point, if portability's a non-issue to you, you might want to just go with something like a Mopho as it's going to be similarly priced.
thehighesttree
Knob Abuser

Postby LousyFacelift on Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:37 am

What I would really like to see is a shift note function for regions of a pattern in the EMX. Let's say you have an eight bar pattern and wish to transpose only the notes of synth parts 1,2 and 4 in bars 5 and 6. Even if this function would only work like the Repeat command, so that you'd have to first use Move, to get the region that you wish to be affected to the beginning of the pattern, then choosing an end step for the shift note command and then putting the pattern back in it's original order by using Move again...I hope this wasn't too confusing... Having to transpose individual notes in step edit takes way too long, especially when you have arpeggio tracks full of 16th or even shorter notes. If that's too much to ask for, Korg should at least make Transpose recordable(!) in pattern mode.
Also, a grid off feature would be nice, so that you could do unquantized recordings. Recording velocity changes would also be cool, even if you'd have to use a controller keyboard for this.

http://www.youtube.com/user/lousyfacelift
LousyFacelift
Electribe Newbie

Next

Return to General Discussion