Trying something new with spam

Talk about anything related to the Electribes.

Moderator: Aciphecs

Trying something new with spam

Postby StellarJay[aka Ruso] on Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:01 pm

So I'm getting sick and tired of spam.

I went ahead and straight up denied access to specific countries from which spam originates. I am not sure if this denies specific SPAM only ip addresses or if it denies access to those countries alltogether.... and I don't care. We don't seem to have any active users from there anyways.

Hope it helps. Will add to list as new spam appears from different places.

-Ruso
StellarJay[aka Ruso]
Site Admin

Re: Trying something new with spam

Postby ultrasonyk on Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:55 am

update phpbb to the latest version
ultrasonyk
Electribe Newbie

Postby AlabamaCajun on Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:33 pm

Having run a few phpbbs a couple of years back, I can say it spoils the fun of running a site. We resorted to the same method you suggested of filtering batches of IPs unfortunately blocking out some great people from the regions. I was considering loading a stopspam mod for the board but I never got that deep into the admins.
AlabamaCajun
Electribe Newbie

Postby weeirdo on Fri May 17, 2013 10:04 am

Well, this forum doesn't have many active users to begin with, but blocking different countries won't necessarily help.

This spammer: http://electribe-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2760 is spamming in the name of a UK firm, if you block the UK you'll block a lot of users, actual or potential.

And I know for a fact there are lots of Electribe users in Russia, for example. I don't know if you blocked Russia, but it's just an example.

I dunno, maybe put some Electribe related questions that non-users can't figure out.
weeirdo
Electribe Newbie

Postby staticwarp on Sat May 25, 2013 10:12 pm

the "what color is grass?" question is asked to new subscribers. I've seen another forum use a more difficult question which requires the user to visit a specific forum link and cull some information from it to answer correctly. that might be a better option. it is pretty sad that not many people use this forum, and it's really charitable and respectable of ruso to keep it up in spite of that.

thanks ruso! rockin

one strange thing i've noticed about this forum is that my replies to posts tend to disappear a few days later. i'm not sure if this is due to some anti-spam measure, but it's lame nonetheless.
staticwarp
Electribe Newbie

Postby _INTER_ on Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:09 am

Loooots of spam accounts have been generated again, spam is everywhere even here :(
Maybe add captchas to the login process instead of the always same 2 or 3 questions?
_INTER_
Electribe Newbie

Postby StellarJay[aka Ruso] on Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:52 am

Guys, let me explain the problem a little. The spam accounts on this forum are not simply bots. The bots are stopped with the crappy three questions in the beginning. I believe the spam accounts are actually PEOPLE who manually sign up and post the same topic on many forms.

This is why there is no RECAPCHA or more questions.... we, the humans, can solve it.

I upgraded the forum today to the latest version. I may try out RECAPCHA for a bit, but once again I'm not so certain it will help any.

-Ruso
StellarJay[aka Ruso]
Site Admin

Return to General Discussion