Hello World

Talk about anything related to the Electribes.

Moderator: Aciphecs

Hello World

Postby Child of Eye on Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:44 am

Hello - new guy here with a new guy question :)

Long story short: I am planning on buying a used EMX-1 - never owned anything like it before...anyway I found a good price on one on craigslist but it has the following problem:
"****The headphone jack has been damaged. Unfortunately had an incident where the headphone cord bent the jack inside the box, and broke that headphone output for good. Fortunately the unit also features additional LEFT and RIGHT outputs which can serve the same purpose as the headphone out. I can include an adaptor cord that will bridge the LEFT and RIGHT output into a single female 1/4" jack into which a set of headphones could be plugged. Of course, if you are recording audio straight into a computer, those outputs could be sent seperately for stereo recording, or combined for a single stereo signal into the computer using the adaptor. The unit is listed for a good price due to broken headphone jack, but I would like to stress that it does not limit the unit's function in terms of being able to output sound (in fact, there is even a secondary set of individual outputs on top of the LEFT and RIGHT outs)."

1. Can the headphone jack be fixed (easily/cheaply) - I have ok soldering skills from wiring electric guitars
2. Is the sellers proposed workaround valid?

Thanks!
Child of Eye
Electribe Newbie

Re: Hello World

Postby neotechtonics on Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:38 am

it depends on the extent of the damage. could be as simple as resoldering some joints or could be a complete replacement job.

using an adapter from the main (L/R) outs would work. probably a 2 x TS male to 3.5mm female cable. that would allow you to plug your headphones off the main outputs. Dunno if the impedance level difference between the headphone out and main line-level outs (if there is one) would cause some sound quality issues on headphones.
neotechtonics: the study of recent underground movements and measurement of their local effects in order to develop techniques for predicting earthquakes
http://soundcloud.com/neotechtonics

EMX guru in training
neotechtonics
EF Special Task Force

Re: Hello World

Postby Child of Eye on Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:41 am

neotechtonics wrote:Dunno if the impedance level difference between the headphone out and main line-level outs (if there is one) would cause some sound quality issues on headphones.

Ahh thats the question I was really trying to ask but did not know how to word it - thanks for the reply
Child of Eye
Electribe Newbie

Return to General Discussion