Looking into an EMX

Talk about anything related to the Electribes.

Moderator: Aciphecs

Looking into an EMX

Postby MemorY on Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:08 pm

Hey guys,

So I've been producing a bit of music lately and I've been wanting a device that I can run without hooking up to my computer. I came across the electribe and I was wondering if you all would recommend them. I'm thinking about getting the EMX-1. I honestly don't like the look of the new ones...

So, what I'm looking for is a drum and synth device that can run as a stand-alone device as well as send out midi, authentic synth sounds/instrument (I'd prefer it to be analog), not huge. I have a big backpack that I can fit a decent size controller in. I've found a few on Ebay and they seemed to be priced reasonably (around $400).

Thank you for your advice!

MemorY
DDJ-SX2 - Ableton Live 9 - Ableton Push - Maschine 2.2
MemorY
Electribe Newbie

Re: Looking into an EMX

Postby primate on Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:11 am

I love my EMX, despite their being loads of things that it doesnt do or do well (no polyphony, quantisation to 16ths, no real velocity), but in terms of having a standalone box that has an unparalleled workflow and makes it so easy to quickly make loops and build those loops into songs, well it's a real winner.
After a while you'll probably tire of the ultra generic PCM sounds, but even the very basic synthesis options that it presents are great and give the unit a lot of versatility and longevity.

Saying that, i get a lot more out of my ESX, as i can load up single cycle waveforms and give it a whole new palette of sounds which get me a little bit further away from an identifiably electribe sound.

If you do grab one of either of these machines, be sure to check back here or at livepa.org forums if you need any pointers, plenty of great tutorials and tips here.

enjoy
primate
Electribe Newbie

Postby MemorY on Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:59 am

primate wrote:I love my EMX, despite their being loads of things that it doesnt do or do well (no polyphony, quantisation to 16ths, no real velocity), but in terms of having a standalone box that has an unparalleled workflow and makes it so easy to quickly make loops and build those loops into songs, well it's a real winner.
After a while you'll probably tire of the ultra generic PCM sounds, but even the very basic synthesis options that it presents are great and give the unit a lot of versatility and longevity.

Saying that, i get a lot more out of my ESX, as i can load up single cycle waveforms and give it a whole new palette of sounds which get me a little bit further away from an identifiably electribe sound.

If you do grab one of either of these machines, be sure to check back here or at livepa.org forums if you need any pointers, plenty of great tutorials and tips here.

enjoy

Thank you so much for the info! Does the ESX still produce it's own sounds? Other then is being able to sample, what would you say the differences are between the ESX and the EMX? On the EMX I noticed that it has 5 synth parts and that the ESX only has 2 "keyboard" parts. Also since both can take SD cards can't you upload sounds the the EMX? Thank you!

MemorY
DDJ-SX2 - Ableton Live 9 - Ableton Push - Maschine 2.2
MemorY
Electribe Newbie

Postby primate on Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:56 pm

the emx has a load of sampled drum hits, keyboard parts and sounds that you can use right out of the box, or (where the real fun is) you can use a combination of the various synthesis types, filters, modulation and effects to make your own sounds.

the ESX comes loaded with the same samples as the emx plus a load of others, but without the synthesis engine (although you can load single cycle waveforms in to get something similar). you can completely clear the memory and load your own samples in, to give it whatever sound you want.

on both machines there are a load of pads to put single hits on to make looped beats, percussion and sounds and a few pads that can be played with a keyboard. the esx trades a couple of these keyboard parts for loop parts.

theyre very complimentary and each have their pros and cons. your best bet is to get your hands on each to try before you buy, but maybe watching a few youtube vids would be handy. personally, i've heard much more interesting results from the esx than the emx, but it depends what type of music you want to make and how you enjoy making music.
primate
Electribe Newbie

Return to General Discussion