Trading and uploading .emx & esx. files

Talk about anything related to the Electribes.

Moderator: Aciphecs

Trading and uploading .emx & esx. files

Postby Jason on Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:46 am

Hey I think it would be cool upoad smartmedia files to share and play other peoples patterns off the boxes,remix and the lot... I haven't found anywhere on the net to do this and this place would seem like the place to do it. Anyone else game? I do this with a buddy who also has an emx and we swap songs all the time and get some really cool remix/rework of each others stuff. I think it would a great medium for colaborating and promoting each others music.
Jason
Electribe Newbie

Re: Trading and uploading .emx & esx. files

Postby Tarekith on Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:25 am

Sounds neat, I just wish there was a way to dump only single patterns, and not entire banks....
ImageImage
Tarekith
Knob Abuser

Postby StellarJay[aka Ruso] on Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:10 am

technically there is but it's a big ol pain in the ass cause you gotta use pure sysx.
StellarJay[aka Ruso]
Site Admin

Postby cyberdudeproductions on Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:42 am

Jason wrote:Hey I think it would be cool upoad smartmedia files to share and play other peoples patterns off the boxes,remix and the lot... I haven't found anywhere on the net to do this and this place would seem like the place to do it. Anyone else game? I do this with a buddy who also has an emx and we swap songs all the time and get some really cool remix/rework of each others stuff. I think it would a great medium for colaborating and promoting each others music.

Sounds great.
So how do we get started...?
cyberdudeproductions
Electribe Newbie

Postby ehr on Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:11 pm

I'd be into it.
ehr
Electribe Newbie

Postby Yatmandu on Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:09 pm

Tarekith wrote:Sounds neat, I just wish there was a way to dump only single patterns, and not entire banks....

It's not too bad if you have a big enough SM card, especially if people put their patterns in A1, A2,etc...at the start of memory.

I'm working on my first ESX sample bank which will have a lot of minimal, dubsteppy, and other weird samples on it, like oriental stringed instruments, digeridoos, horns and stuff like that. I'd be happy to throw that up when it's done, but I won't be very active over the next few weeks as I'm away for a while.
Yatmandu
Knob Fiddler

Postby StellarJay[aka Ruso] on Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:49 pm

any other programmers in here? I mean I know exactly how to do what is wanted to be done here and I can get the core written I just don't have the time to write the whole thing. I mean technically it's almost possible to write a realtime(somewhat) pattern editor for the electribe but it's so much work that I couldn't handle it alone.
StellarJay[aka Ruso]
Site Admin

Postby Jason on Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:57 am

I think it would work if you are using multiple Electribes (eg EMX and ESX), and play each other's "sets", as long as you have one going, its easy enought to start/stop in time(after loading the Emx load all 8 seconds or so).. It would definatly add a LOT of diversity to each others sets.... Kinda like what Djs try to do (dont get me started=), except with live music.....
Jason
Electribe Newbie

Postby Bearcage on Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:41 am

Sounds a cool idea...

don't know if any editors are needed for the esx files tho'?

I reckon it'd be simple to start with a blank esx file, then each adds bits in turn, and then uploads their new file, adding their bits as they add.

You could do it like....

Pattern 1 - member A does drums / member B does Keyboard 1 / member C does Keyboard 2 / member D does stretch & slice,

then pattern 2 - change members for each part (depending on how many want to take part.

and so on.

I've done something similar on the old Future Music Forum once, but with general wav files, and we eventually got a song together.

The most important thing to do is to set time limits per uploaded part, taking turns in writing... to keep the interest going, it may be good to have a few going at a time, so everyone's doing something each week...

anyway, I've just realised I'm getting a bit carried away here...
but would deffo be up for it
Bearcage
Electribe Newbie

Postby Yatmandu on Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:17 am

This kind of reminds of the Photoshop Tennis group on flickr. People start with a basic scene/digital photo, and add their bits and pieces using photoshop. The results are almost always hilarious. Here are some examples:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/84598199@N00/1517285254/in/pool-pstennis

http://www.flickr.com/photos/attack_of_the_tonguebeasties_from_outta_space/2844176273/in/pool-pstennis

Hopefully we don't end up with the audio equivalent of these images :lol: :mrgreen:
Yatmandu
Knob Fiddler

Next

Return to General Discussion