Maxell Cd-r's

Talk about anything related to the Electribes.

Moderator: Aciphecs

Maxell Cd-r's

Postby Dj Pound on Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:52 am

Sup guys? As of right now im a bit pissed about losing some very important (sentimental value :) ) CD-r's of music that I made when I first bought my ES-1. Back before I had a ton of smartmedia cards, I used to just burn all of my tracks straight to CD and I would use those burned CD-r's as my "masters" so to speak. Back than, and still to some degree my preferred CD-r of choice was the kind made by Maxell. The reason I preferred that brand was because I knew for certain that they seemed to play perfect in whatever I tryed to play them in..be it car stereos, boom boxes, other CD players etc.
Back when I used to buy Maxell CD-r's by the bulk load at Sams and walmart give or take 7 to 8 years ago. I was in a CD burning frenzy, I would make tons of tracks on my ES-1 and burn them all to CD as I said before. Back than is when I first noticed what I would describe as "glitches" and skipping, sometimes it sounded like "pops" or distortion on the tail end of the CD as the tracks were narrowing down. Initially after burning the CD's, they would playback just fine for about a year. This was just the average timespan though, sometimes some of the maxell CD's that I burned would start screwing up even quicker than that. Keep in mind that I kept these CD's in pristine condition, and the skipping and "glitches" was not due to scratches on the CD or the device I was playing it back in....It was the CD itself for some reason.

So fast forward to now 2009, here I am with about 25 CD-r's in total from that time period in the early 2000's. Some still play fine, and some are totally unplayable due to that damn popping, and glitching and skipping problem. The newer Maxell CD-rs out now have been redesigned and now have different packaging compared to the older cd-r's they were putting out 7 to 8 years ago.
And thus far, I havent had any issues with those at all. The Maxell reps dont know what the hell Im talking about either, But they did mention to me that their are quality differences in CD-r's made by Maxell from different countries. Some are made in Latin america, some are made in japan, canada etc...I dunno :? Its frustrating. I had some damn good stuff on those CD's!!
And it would be cool if I could get those CD-r's to playback normal again.

Oh well.......That was a long rant! Sorry for that.
What CD-r's do you guys prefer to use?
Which do you think are the best for recording and durability?
Korg ESX-1
Korg EMX-1
Korg ES-1
Microkorg
Akai MPC-2000XL
Boss BR-532

http://titusandtheraindrops.tumblr.com/

http://soundcloud.com/you/tracks
Dj Pound
Knob Fiddler

Re: Maxell Cd-r's

Postby StellarJay[aka Ruso] on Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:42 am

Good to hear, I'll keep that brand in mind....... never buy cheap cdr's.... I bought a stack of 50 and used I think just about all of them to burn 30 cd's due to constant burn errors....
StellarJay[aka Ruso]
Site Admin

Postby Yatmandu on Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:48 pm

Everything you want to know about media is at CDfreaks.com. I make sure I always get recommended DVD media these days. As for CDr's, the last batch I bought was: Maxell CD-R Pro's (gold colored) which are supposed to be long lasting and without errors. Basically, MIJapan, MISingapore, MITaiwan are all pretty good and MIIndia and other countries like that result in more coasters.
Yatmandu
Knob Fiddler

Postby Blue Monster 65 on Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:25 am

I'll second CDfreaks.com as a great site.

Got to say, though, that I've had plenty of headaches with Sony CD-Rs, but have been very happy with Memorex. Dunno why - they just work for me!

Scott
Blue Monster 65
EF Special Task Force

Postby Dj Pound on Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:12 pm

Blue Monster 65 wrote:I'll second CDfreaks.com as a great site.

Got to say, though, that I've had plenty of headaches with Sony CD-Rs, but have been very happy with Memorex. Dunno why - they just work for me!

Scott

Never really bought or used Sony cd-r's, but I also totally agree with you on the memorex brand.
I have two memorex CD-r's that are atleast 8 years old and they still play perfectly despite me having been kind of rough on them.
Korg ESX-1
Korg EMX-1
Korg ES-1
Microkorg
Akai MPC-2000XL
Boss BR-532

http://titusandtheraindrops.tumblr.com/

http://soundcloud.com/you/tracks
Dj Pound
Knob Fiddler

Postby hseiken on Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:27 pm

Memorex here, too. However, there was a CDr brand back in the day I can't remember the name of, but they put out special picture CDr's, that had nice little pictures on them which made them easy to identify. They had flames, aliens, etc on them. They worked fine, too. I can't remember who made them, though and they're long since discontinued...if there was a quality CDr that had pictures like that on them out of the case, that would be grand. Even though they only had about 12-15 different pictures, when you're burning almost a CD a day for your car, it's easier to go through a small stack of FLAME PICTURES than a huge stack of generic CDr's.
GEAR: ESX, Micron, KP3, Kaossilator, ER-1mk2, Xenyx 801, VS880, US-122
hseiken

Postby Blue Monster 65 on Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:41 pm

I did have trouble with the colored CD-Rs, though: the black ones just would not play on some of my gear (even newer CD players). The red, blue and yellow ones were spotty, too. I've only seen a couple of CD-Rs that had graphics on them; they were pretty cool!

Me? I'd just like to have decent enough handwriting to make 'em worth looking at. :lol:

Scott
Blue Monster 65
EF Special Task Force

Return to General Discussion