Novation Launchpad

Talk about anything related to the Electribes.

Moderator: Aciphecs

Novation Launchpad

Postby cyberheater on Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:56 am

novation launchpad looks very interesting.

http://www.novationmusic.com/products/midi_control ler/launchpad

http://www.ableton.com/launchpad

Promo vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=du-tt5tZimY

Hands on vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSNnCz8zfow

Anyone getting it/got it/thoughts?
cyberheater
Electribe Newbie

Re: Novation Launchpad

Postby Yatmandu on Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:04 pm

It's cheaper than the APC40 and way cheaper than a monome....it's going to fly off the shelves in November. I like Novation, they're always thinking and evolving their products. I'll probably get one, as I'm a big fan of matrix-based pattern ui's like monome, tenori-on, etc, even that one on the web (tonelab?)
Yatmandu
Knob Fiddler

Postby cyberheater on Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:57 pm

The price is surprising in a good way.

For me, this is also a cheap way to get into Ableton Live 8 as I've not used that program before.
I was thinking about buying a Electribe ESX but I think I'm going to go for this instead.
cyberheater
Electribe Newbie

Postby StellarJay[aka Ruso] on Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:22 pm

I would HIGHLY recommend ableton. I am a slave to the program and love it to pieces. Also with max4live coming out soon it's gonna be unstoppable and way ahead of any other software and hardware.
StellarJay[aka Ruso]
Site Admin

Postby cyberheater on Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:17 am

Ruso wrote:I would HIGHLY recommend ableton. I am a slave to the program and love it to pieces. Also with max4live coming out soon it's gonna be unstoppable and way ahead of any other software and hardware.

Yeah. Everyone who uses it rates Ableton very highly. It's just I'm trying to move away from the computer screen/mouse combination which is why I've started going down the Electribe route. I've already got a EMX and ES1. Great machines.

The launchpad will enable me to at least feel like I'm hands on.
I also like the idea that you can keep daisy chaining these. An 8 x 16 matrix would be pretty good for drum programming in Reason for example.

I'm also thinking of getting one of these. A Novation Nocturn.

I could get both for around £210 in the UK. It would give me most of the functionality of the akai apc40 at nearly half the cost and be more versatile to boot.
cyberheater
Electribe Newbie

Postby Yatmandu on Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:27 am

Ruso wrote:I would HIGHLY recommend ableton. I am a slave to the program and love it to pieces. Also with max4live coming out soon it's gonna be unstoppable and way ahead of any other software and hardware.

The nice thing about the launchpad is that it comes with a version of Live 8 that's supposed to be more powerful than the LE editions of Live (not sure if there's a Live 8 LE, but definitely there was a Live 7 LE, and this is more powerful). This launchpad may be my way of trying out Live, although I'm definitely not into live PA's, more into composing/recording, so we'll see how it goes.
Yatmandu
Knob Fiddler

Postby cyberheater on Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:43 am

Yatmandu wrote:The nice thing about the launchpad is that it comes with a version of Live 8 that's supposed to be more powerful than the LE editions of Live

It looks very powerful. The difference between the full blown version and the Launchpad edition is detailed here:-

http://www.ableton.com/pages/2009/novat ... d_vs_live8

I've downloaded the demo version of Live 8 to give it a try and although there is going to be a learning curve I can see how triggering clips with the Launchpad will be a lot of fun. I'm dreaming of the possibilities.
cyberheater
Electribe Newbie

Postby StellarJay[aka Ruso] on Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:02 am

cyberheater wrote:

Yeah. Everyone who uses it rates Ableton very highly. It's just I'm trying to move away from the computer screen/mouse combination which is why I've started going down the Electribe route. I've already got a EMX and ES1. Great machines.

Does this look any less involved then electribes? :gunz: I have more control over my tracks too :-D
StellarJay[aka Ruso]
Site Admin

Postby cyberheater on Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:10 pm

Nice set Ruso. What's the big white control box thingy you're using?
cyberheater
Electribe Newbie

Postby StellarJay[aka Ruso] on Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:56 pm

It's a korg nanoKontrol below a monitor. No I don't have to look at it at all but it makes for good reference :-D
StellarJay[aka Ruso]
Site Admin

Next

Return to General Discussion