audio card question

Talk about anything related to the Electribes.

Moderator: Aciphecs

audio card question

Postby e5kimo on Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:19 am

is there an audio card that has multiple outs that i can map to individually from with in say ableton. what can you recommend (probably best to be USB as it would work better with a laptop.)
e5kimo
Electribe Newbie

Re: audio card question

Postby StellarJay[aka Ruso] on Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:57 am

My favorite soundcard until a little while ago has been the m-audio fast track pro. It has 8 audio inputs and 8 audio outputs very well mapped out.

It does have a couple of flaws. It does not have the best latency... also high performance mode does not work in x64. The two minor issues are inter related.

Lately it started to die out on my. My mic is freaking out. I measured the phantom 48 volt output... and it's doing 72 volts. The mic preamps keep cutting out. Also the card has been pretty unstable and the right channel is louder then the left.

I have had this card for a while and it was a VERY VERY VERY good choice while it lasted. I should mention that it's been through a lot. I've taken my rig into a sandy area where all the dust was being kicked out when I played a show. Also it's been in a couple power surge situations.
StellarJay[aka Ruso]
Site Admin

Postby StellarJay[aka Ruso] on Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:00 am

I forgot to mention that the soudncard market just got a bunch of new models. A few of the newer ones looked very good. I am eye balling one particular model: http://www.guitarcenter.com/PreSonus-FI ... 1125347.gc the catch is that it's firewire.

As far as recommending an interface... what's the number of inputs and outputs you need and also your budget?
StellarJay[aka Ruso]
Site Admin

Postby hseiken on Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:38 am

I heard this is the best there was, the best there is and the best there ever will be....
http://www.vintagesynth.com/misc/creampulsar.php
GEAR: ESX, Micron, KP3, Kaossilator, ER-1mk2, Xenyx 801, VS880, US-122
hseiken

Postby Toybeat on Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:14 am

If money is not a problem...I'd recommend any of the RME soundcards. I personally use a Multiface I which gives me 8in/8out (analog) plus the ones on the digital side :mrgreen: ...oh, and the 720 virtual channels of the totalmix, the sound is clean,clear, as low as 2ms latency, one of the best AD/DA converters (along with Apogee's),very tight Midi (Ableton Live as master, ESX1,EMX1,KP3...slaves, I can play for hours without driftings).
They're not cheap...but you get what you pay for... :thumbs:
EMX1,ESX1,KP3.
Toybeat
Electribe Newbie

Postby Yatmandu on Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:19 am

If I ever upgrade, it will be to an RME i/f. Heard only good things about them. I'm just waiting for a while to see what happens with firewire vs USB3.
Yatmandu
Knob Fiddler

Return to General Discussion